Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 02-22-2020, 03:32 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Itas View Post
I agree with the comments regarding trying a good broker. Loner, I donít get the ads where I live about benching your body weight but itís not a bad idea. Where I live itís something like ďcall big Lou. Heís fat and takes blood pressure medicine like you and can get you a good deal on life insurance.Ē Somewhat similar but less blunt language from Select Quote.
American adverts about life insurance are funny.
Old 02-22-2020, 03:33 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Life insurance is not based on YOU. It's based on people like you. People like you with your chronic condition die sooner than those without it, all things equal (assuming they are pricing it actuarially accurately).

Life insurers are sure that you will die. It's the WHEN that is unknown.
A life insurer cannot guarantee that you will keep on managing your chronic illness, or manage it properly. Only you can. And that is disconcerting for the insurer.
Yup. Thisx100

So many P&C folks commenting...its cute.
Old 02-22-2020, 04:50 PM
SOA

Studying for CPD - and nuttin' else!
College: Swigmore U
Favorite beer: Guinness

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Actuarial_Borg View Post
Yup. Thisx100

So many P&C folks commenting...it's cute.
Yo, B-orgy!!! IFYerP!!! Mebbe you should invite OP out for a Happy Hour bucket of wings and a pitcher of Coors Light!!!
Old 02-22-2020, 07:15 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadmaker View Post
Yo, B-orgy!!! IFYerP!!! Mebbe you should invite OP out for a Happy Hour bucket of wings and a pitcher of Coors Light!!!
Who the heck drinks coors light...

Oh wait..Americans.

Self-explanatory really.
Old 02-22-2020, 11:38 PM
SOA

Quote:
You have life coverage via employer.

4x/salary

And Pension.
No pension, my company has a flat dollar amount of coverage they give to everyone, you can buy up if you arent in a risk class. otherwise you cant buy any more at all
Old 02-23-2020, 12:13 AM
CAS

Quote:
You have life coverage via employer.

4x/salary

And Pension.
I've never seen 4x salary. 1x salary is common, and is what I currently have. Many plans let you buy more. But when I had dependent children I wanted a lot more than what i could buy from my employer.

Defined contribution plans are a lot more common than pensions these days. But that's something the op should be considering as one way to put aside money for his family.
Old 02-23-2020, 01:56 PM

1x was automatic, 5x salary was the additional amt I was able to buy up to when I was working. My brother's employer went up to 10x.

OP, remember that if you have dependent kids your wife will collect SS for them should you pass while they are minors. So that somewhat reduces the absolute need for life insurance. Don't think you need to have enough coverage that she never needs to work a day in her life again. Also remember your expenses will be gone when you are gone. Do you really want to buy insurance for your replacement?
Old 02-23-2020, 02:03 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
I've never seen 4x salary. 1x salary is common, and is what I currently have. Many plans let you buy more. But when I had dependent children I wanted a lot more than what i could buy from my employer.

Defined contribution plans are a lot more common than pensions these days. But that's something the op should be considering as one way to put aside money for his family.
I am surprised at how stingy US employers are in group life then.

4x/salary is standard here
Old 02-23-2020, 02:13 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner View Post
1x was automatic, 5x salary was the additional amt I was able to buy up to when I was working. My brother's employer went up to 10x.
Yeah, I can probably buy up to 5x. And that's not underwritten, beyond "are you healthy enough to be employed?" I was able to get a better deal in the individual market, so I never bothered. Now that my kids are grown, I've dropped everything except the mandatory 1xsalary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner View Post
OP, remember that if you have dependent kids your wife will collect SS for them should you pass while they are minors. So that somewhat reduces the absolute need for life insurance. Don't think you need to have enough coverage that she never needs to work a day in her life again. Also remember your expenses will be gone when you are gone. Do you really want to buy insurance for your replacement?
If my replacement was caring for my kids, yes, I did want to buy insurance for her and Rickie. It was mostly "make sure he can pay the mortgage and put the kids through college" money. Both things that accrue directly to my kids.
Old 02-23-2020, 02:17 PM
CAS

Quote:
I am surprised at how stingy US employers are in group life then.

4x/salary is standard here
My mom used to be the business manager for a private school, and she said the mandatory life insurance was largely for her benefit. When an employee died, she had to contact the family to get information and do a bunch of administrative paperwork. And she felt a lot more comfortable doing that in the context of "We are going to make a payment to you" than just "Hi, grieving family, please deal with my needs right now."

1xsalary is enough to be a meaningful payment for most households, and serves that function well.

I'm surprised the OP is underwritten to buy more, though. I've never had a vast amount of employer life insurance available, but I've never had to make any health claims to sign up for it.