Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 04-01-2020, 11:32 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdsafdsa View Post
I can't help but question using an old t-shirt based on a study that shows a proper mask works.
I've posted this before. A "medical mask" works a LOT better than a cloth mask. I think they mean ordinary surgical masks.

https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/5/4/...Vedx167Y8te2Y0

Quote:
Abstract
Objective The aim of this study was to compare the efficacy of cloth masks to medical masks in hospital healthcare workers (HCWs). The null hypothesis is that there is no difference between medical masks and cloth masks.

Setting 14 secondary-level/tertiary-level hospitals in Hanoi, Vietnam.

Participants 1607 hospital HCWs aged ≥18 years working full-time in selected high-risk wards.

Intervention Hospital wards were randomised to: medical masks, cloth masks or a control group (usual practice, which included mask wearing). Participants used the mask on every shift for 4 consecutive weeks.

Main outcome measure Clinical respiratory illness (CRI), influenza-like illness (ILI) and laboratory-confirmed respiratory virus infection.

Results The rates of all infection outcomes were highest in the cloth mask arm, with the rate of ILI statistically significantly higher in the cloth mask arm (relative risk (RR)=13.00, 95% CI 1.69 to 100.07) compared with the medical mask arm. Cloth masks also had significantly higher rates of ILI compared with the control arm. An analysis by mask use showed ILI (RR=6.64, 95% CI 1.45 to 28.65) and laboratory-confirmed virus (RR=1.72, 95% CI 1.01 to 2.94) were significantly higher in the cloth masks group compared with the medical masks group. Penetration of cloth masks by particles was almost 97% and medical masks 44%.

Conclusions This study is the first RCT of cloth masks, and the results caution against the use of cloth masks. This is an important finding to inform occupational health and safety. Moisture retention, reuse of cloth masks and poor filtration may result in increased risk of infection. Further research is needed to inform the widespread use of cloth masks globally. However, as a precautionary measure, cloth masks should not be recommended for HCWs, particularly in high-risk situations, and guidelines need to be updated.
Note that vacuum cleaner filters and HVAC filters apparently work pretty well, and of you can add a layer from one of those in your home-made mask it will be a lot more effective. I also saw a vacuum cleaner vendor who posted a nice design to make a face mask out of a whole vacuum cleaner bag, a wire hanger, some tubing (so the wire frame can be held tight against your face) and straps or elastic:

https://starks.com/vacuum-bag-surgical-masks/
Old 04-01-2020, 11:35 AM
SOA AAA

My T-shirts are mesh, so...

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art

“That is reminiscent of Harry Truman’s famous saying, ‘The buck stops, uh, somewhere over there, maybe?' That is a level of dodging responsibility that Trump has been perfecting ever since he was very much not in Vietnam.” -- LWTwJO
Old 04-01-2020, 12:01 PM

Question: I keep seeing (in the press, but also ITT) people calling it a "novel" virus. As in "the novel coronavirus...".

Using that wording consistently made me wonder if I'm missing something - I originally assumed that the word "novel" just meant new and not previously seen.... is there some technical or epidemiology meaning that I'm not aware of, that's causing people to consistently use this?
Old 04-01-2020, 12:12 PM
SOA

Studying for Nothing
Favorite beer: Crooked Crab High Joltage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
Question: I keep seeing (in the press, but also ITT) people calling it a "novel" virus. As in "the novel coronavirus...".

Using that wording consistently made me wonder if I'm missing something - I originally assumed that the word "novel" just meant new and not previously seen.... is there some technical or epidemiology meaning that I'm not aware of, that's causing people to consistently use this?
Based on my understanding (which may be incorrect), "novel" means that the virus originated in a different species and subsequently mutated to a form that could infect humans.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:13 PM
CAS

I think it just means it was new in 2019. Nothing deeper than that.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:13 PM
Defending the AO since 2007
SOA AAA

Studying for GHDP-A
College: Hard Knox U.

Quote:

It just means that it's a corona virus that hadn't been seen before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statatak View Post
I'm not the sharpest tool on the AO, but I'm comforted by the idea that no matter how vapid and incoherent my arguments are that there may be a kernel of truth buried somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pac Shakur View Post
i am broken and incapable of thought and a bunch of other stuff
Old 04-01-2020, 12:14 PM
CAS

Hate to correct you, but I'm pretty sure it's because they published the virus's full DNA in hard cover, which is now sitting at #1 on the NTY bestseller list for the fourth straight week. Read a book now and then, guys.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:14 PM
SOA

Studying for GHSPC
College: Luther College BA, University of Oregon MS

My local university is moving to allow students to opt for P/NP rather than letter grades, both for winter and spring quarters. That by itself is reasonable. The catch is that they're allowing students to make the choice for each class after the term is over and they see their final letter grade. Seems to defeat the purpose if you can infer that 'Pass' = 'B or C, but not A'....
Old 04-01-2020, 12:18 PM
Defending the AO since 2007
SOA AAA

Studying for GHDP-A
College: Hard Knox U.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking Man View Post
Hate to correct you, but I'm pretty sure it's because they published the virus's full DNA in hard cover, which is now sitting at #1 on the NTY bestseller list for the fourth straight week. Read a book now and then, guys.
Not quite. It's a misspelling of navel coronavirus. It's the first virus to attack through the bellybutton, hence it only affecting mammals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statatak View Post
I'm not the sharpest tool on the AO, but I'm comforted by the idea that no matter how vapid and incoherent my arguments are that there may be a kernel of truth buried somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pac Shakur View Post
i am broken and incapable of thought and a bunch of other stuff
Old 04-01-2020, 12:23 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:

Coronaviruses were discovered decades ago, and the one that's raging across the world now is a new iteration of the coronavirus family.
"...there are two different types of Christianity. One is a movement of people who want to live and be like Jesus. The other (and far more common, far more powerful) is a civil and political religion that is simply named Christianity. The civil political religion named Christianity is addicted to both political power and violence, and thus finds the message of Jesus offensive." https://www.patheos.com/blogs/former...it-looks-like/