Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

View Poll Results: When do you expect to go back to working in your employer's office space?
I'm still working on-site, we never moved to WFH 2 1.98%
I expect to return in early May 1 0.99%
Sometime in May, but not immediately 5 4.95%
I expect to return with my group in June 17 16.83%
Looking like July 17 16.83%
Not until August, at the earliest 16 15.84%
I dunno, it doesn't seem soon, but it's hard to predict 10 9.90%
I expect to continue working from home, even after my company opens the offices 10 9.90%
I have lost/quit or expect to lose/quit my job and not return 1 0.99%
I was full time WFH, or unemployed/retired prior to the shut down 18 17.82%
I have a 42 month commute 4 3.96%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-25-2020, 03:02 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
Dunno, you get a lot less savings due to covid. To do that safely, you need to hire people to thoroughly clean all the desktops, chairs, docking stations, etc. every time the user changes. I think it may be more cost-effective (and more popular with staff) to increase the number of employees who regularly work from home and put the others in fixed locations.
We're talking NYC, a place with one of the highest office real estate costs in the world. They'll easily save money even after those cleaning expenses.
"...there are two different types of Christianity. One is a movement of people who want to live and be like Jesus. The other (and far more common, far more powerful) is a civil and political religion that is simply named Christianity. The civil political religion named Christianity is addicted to both political power and violence, and thus finds the message of Jesus offensive." https://www.patheos.com/blogs/former...it-looks-like/
Old 04-25-2020, 03:08 PM

Studying for EA-2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary View Post
We're talking NYC, a place with one of the highest office real estate costs in the world. They'll easily save money even after those cleaning expenses.
i suspect that with the economy COVID tanking, those real estate prices are gonna come down
Spoiler:
Old 04-25-2020, 03:11 PM
CAS

I suspect that with much of the economy realizing they CAN have people work from home, commercial real estate will drop in value everywhere.
Old 04-25-2020, 03:37 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
I suspect that with much of the economy realizing they CAN have people work from home, commercial real estate will drop in value everywhere.
I don't think that will happen, except for cities with really expensive real estate, and startups being run by young entrepreneurs who don't have decades of the "must be physically present" mentality engraved into their brains.
"...there are two different types of Christianity. One is a movement of people who want to live and be like Jesus. The other (and far more common, far more powerful) is a civil and political religion that is simply named Christianity. The civil political religion named Christianity is addicted to both political power and violence, and thus finds the message of Jesus offensive." https://www.patheos.com/blogs/former...it-looks-like/
Old 04-25-2020, 03:45 PM

Studying for EA-2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary View Post
I don't think that will happen, except for cities with really expensive real estate, and startups being run by young entrepreneurs who don't have decades of the "must be physically present" mentality engraved into their brains.
the "must be physically present" mentality is changing among everyone right now since we are forced to wfh, including CEO's. it isn't just young people anymore. you think that everyone working from home 100% isn't going to change the views of older people at all? i think it already has.
Spoiler:
Old 04-25-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
the "must be physically present" mentality is changing among everyone right now since we are forced to wfh, including CEO's. it isn't just young people anymore. you think that everyone working from home 100% isn't going to change the views of older people at all? i think it already has.
Almost everyone know that many jobs could be wfh before all this. Many CEOs, upper management are not going to change.
Old 04-25-2020, 05:03 PM
CAS

I dunno, I've talked about it with two senior management types (from two different companies) and both said they didn't think WFH would work, and they've been pleasantly surprised at how productive their staff have been from home. I think a lot of companies are going to be a lot more accepting of WFH now that they've been forced to test it out.
Old 04-25-2020, 05:21 PM

Studying for EA-2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy The Clown View Post
Almost everyone know that many jobs could be wfh before all this. Many CEOs, upper management are not going to change.
disagree. we were forced to change our processes to work from home. we wouldn't have done that otherwise. a lot of our processes simply would not work at home, so we had to change them. the status quo before this was just easier. they are being forced now and with that they are changing their views.
Spoiler:
Old 04-25-2020, 06:37 PM
Non-Actuary

I answered 42.

It's still unclear if the university where I teach will be holding live in-person classes in the fall. At this point I'm assuming we will still be remote teaching during summer.

Hard to imagine them cramming students into the dorms without any kind of vaccine or better treatment available.
Old 04-25-2020, 06:41 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Apathy View Post
I don't like my job and I don't think I'm going to go anymore.
How will you pay your bills?