Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment > Resume & Cover Letter Advice Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 08-26-2019, 04:45 PM
Non-Actuary

Default Resume Critique

Hi,

I've been lurking here for a year or two gathering intel on the field. Here's my first post to ask for help.

Here are some wrinkles that I have to work around:

My original undergraduate/graduate education was messy, and involved going back to school repeatedly because I was young and didn't know what else to do. I dropped out of grad school in anthropology because I was didn't have the material, financial or personal resources and it was a terrible investment anyway. I've made much better decisions since then, but I don't really want to spell all of this out on the resume. It would take up more space and be better explained in verbally.

I left teaching and then waited before working as a wildland firefighter for a season. It was a lot of fun, and I'd love to do it again, but I'm a little old to pursue a real career in the field (they won't hire for permanent positions after a certain age) and my partner wasn't too happy with not seeing me all summer. Given the seasonal nature of firefighting this created a "gap" on my resume. How can I avoid or mitigate this being a red flag?

As a post-bacc career changer, do I have a shot at an internship? Or do I need to just hold off until I graduate and compete for EL positions without one?

General advice is don't put down skills you don't have. But here we have a year between applying and starting the internship. How should I handle the fact that I will have acquired more technical skills through coursework during this school year before an internship commences?

Thank you!

Edits: I had to change extensions to get the file to upload correctly and the formatting was a little mangled in the conversion. Also wanted to add some clarifying comments.
Attached Files
File Type: doc BlankActuarialResume2019.doc (34.0 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by Cofish; 08-28-2019 at 10:53 AM..
Old 08-28-2019, 04:04 PM
SOA

I think you definitely need at least another exam , potentially 2-3 more.
Old 08-30-2019, 02:56 PM
Non-Actuary

Thanks for the feedback. I'm just looking for an internship at this point. I should have another exam within a few months, but it's already intern application season so it has to go out now.
Old 08-30-2019, 03:01 PM
CAS SOA

As a career changer, you will be asked for more than the average EL applicant.

2-3 more exams as has been suggested is accurate.

After that however, what skills do you bring to the table?

You need to have a plausible story for your educational history as well.
Old 08-31-2019, 10:54 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cofish View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I'm just looking for an internship at this point. I should have another exam within a few months, but it's already intern application season so it has to go out now.
This is one of the problems that comes with the saturation of the labor market at the entry level, imo; people getting desperate and looking for internships when there are plenty of full-time jobs open that aren't actuarial. This is why I always tell people not to limit their search to actuarial, unless for whatever reason they are really REALLY interested in insurance (I've yet to meet someone at entry level who really is); the field just isn't THAT special.
Yes, well, that's partially the result of my robust education. I was exposed to far more than a narrow money-making selection of classes. The influence of art, literature, and other liberal arts makes it easier for me to write coherently in a format significantly longer than 140 characters. Additionally, I am able to use colorful terms that illustrate my ideas, words that exceed two syllables in length, and even proper punctuation (most of the time).
Old 09-01-2019, 03:29 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for CSPA
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

I wouldn't worry about internships. Focus on passing exams while working full time.

And "EL season" isn't just in the late spring/summer. For many companies, it's constant.

Best thing is to get your resume out to people. Start developing your network. Apply "everywhere" regardless of whether or not they have a position "posted".

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 09-01-2019, 04:53 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorian Atreides View Post
And "EL season" isn't just in the late spring/summer. For many companies, it's constant.
Many or some? At the large employers I have worked for, EL season is based entirely upon the school calendar. Every EL position is fed from the internship program, and as those people quit over the years, their positions at higher levels open.

Iíve long thought there are problems with this, but employers are so flooded with candidates that they can run this approach without even having to think about it.
Yes, well, that's partially the result of my robust education. I was exposed to far more than a narrow money-making selection of classes. The influence of art, literature, and other liberal arts makes it easier for me to write coherently in a format significantly longer than 140 characters. Additionally, I am able to use colorful terms that illustrate my ideas, words that exceed two syllables in length, and even proper punctuation (most of the time).
Old 09-01-2019, 06:18 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for CSPA
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello, My Baby View Post
Many or some? At the large employers I have worked for, EL season is based entirely upon the school calendar. Every EL position is fed from the internship program, and as those people quit over the years, their positions at higher levels open.

Iíve long thought there are problems with this, but employers are so flooded with candidates that they can run this approach without even having to think about it.
My point is that it's not necessary to wait until a certain time to send in a resume. I'm sure that at some companies, a given candidate might have to wait until the "window" opens to get hired. Doesn't mean that their application is invalid if sent in now and an updated resume is sent later.

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 09-01-2019, 10:55 PM

Studying for P/1
College: M.S. University of Texas; B.S. Trinity University

What non-actuarial jobs would you recommend for someone with two exams, two engineering degrees that are more than fifteen years old, and few other qualifications? I would gladly take a potential stepping-stone job over my current job, but I have not found any non-actuarial jobs that list exams as a qualification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello, My Baby View Post
This is one of the problems that comes with the saturation of the labor market at the entry level, imo; people getting desperate and looking for internships when there are plenty of full-time jobs open that aren't actuarial. This is why I always tell people not to limit their search to actuarial, unless for whatever reason they are really REALLY interested in insurance (I've yet to meet someone at entry level who really is); the field just isn't THAT special.
Old 09-01-2019, 11:25 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
What non-actuarial jobs would you recommend for someone with two exams, two engineering degrees that are more than fifteen years old, and few other qualifications? I would gladly take a potential stepping-stone job over my current job, but I have not found any non-actuarial jobs that list exams as a qualification.
Data science, software development, etc.

These jobs are in high demand, prevalent in pretty much every industry, and have wide geographic flexibility.

Actuarial is a backwater that’s relevant only for insurance.

ETA: you won’t find non-actuarial jobs that list exams as a qualification because other fields couldn’t give a shit less about the exams. Yet another reason the exam process is a complete waste of time.