Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 04-11-2020, 04:35 PM
Non-Actuary

Default Frozen meal delivery services

To cut down the frequency of trips to the grocery stores during the pandemic (and to improve the variety of foods I eat while not going to restaurants), I'm thinking of ordering from one of those sites that deliver packs of fully cooked frozen meals.

Anybody here used any of them? What was your experience -- taste, cost, how well the food stayed frozen through delivery?
"...there are two different types of Christianity. One is a movement of people who want to live and be like Jesus. The other (and far more common, far more powerful) is a civil and political religion that is simply named Christianity. The civil political religion named Christianity is addicted to both political power and violence, and thus finds the message of Jesus offensive." https://www.patheos.com/blogs/former...it-looks-like/
Old 04-11-2020, 05:00 PM

EDIT: Now I see you said fully cooked frozen meals, I never used any of those. Sorry. Will leave my post in case you want to consider those options, but it's unrelated...

Have done several, I think Blue Apron was the first (certainly was the first I heard of) and I've done Hello Fresh and another one that a former gf had that we would make sometimes (can't remember name).

I didn't see a lot of difference in the various options - I can't really come up with any reason for you to choose Fresh versus Apron versus something else. Of course some cater to vegetarian or keto or whatever if you have a preference like that.

General observations that I think carry across them broadly:
Good menus. I was always happy with the variety and with the options I could get.
Good quality produce and meats, and preservation and delivery was never a problem. It would frequently sit in the lobby of my building in summer or winer for 4-8 hours after delivery, and I never had a concern. BTW, not all frozen - they would usually have ice packs in the bottom next to the meat, and then a separator between that and the vegetables so they stayed cool but not cold.
The recipes all explain stuff well, but massively underestimate the time necessary. Many are close to 2x the time for me. Even in a perfect scenario I would struggle to make the stuff that said it could be be done in 20 minutes or less.
Also, they were very filling but generally you could see how they were saving some pennies by giving you extra rice and less meat and cheese than what I would have used. Honestly, probably a sign that I eat too much meat and cheese, but the rice portions were enormous at times.

Overall good experience, would recommend.

Last edited by Westley; 04-11-2020 at 05:04 PM..
Old 04-11-2020, 05:05 PM
Non-Actuary

20 minutes of preparation? I thought they'd be 5-6 minutes in the microwave and that's it.
"...there are two different types of Christianity. One is a movement of people who want to live and be like Jesus. The other (and far more common, far more powerful) is a civil and political religion that is simply named Christianity. The civil political religion named Christianity is addicted to both political power and violence, and thus finds the message of Jesus offensive." https://www.patheos.com/blogs/former...it-looks-like/
Old 04-11-2020, 05:05 PM

See my edit. Sorry, I misread your post. I'm talking about packages like Blue Apron with all the ingredients and you cook yourself.
Old 04-11-2020, 05:15 PM
Non-Actuary

That 20 minute thing is still good to know. Now I'll be sure to read the prep instructions for the meals online before ordering. 20 minutes isn't a deal breaker, but it'll be an important factor to consider when choosing which sites and meals.
Old 04-11-2020, 05:22 PM

I use Blue Apron and I feel like the estimated cooking time is more for experience cooks. When it says 35-45 min, it usually takes 35-45 min when my spouse and I both cook together. I'd struggle to cook within the amount of time listed on my own.

I've been tempted to try Freshly or other fully cook delivered meal. Curious to see what others who have tried them have to say.
Old 04-13-2020, 08:13 AM
Non-Actuary

I'll probably order from cleaneatzkitchen.com when my fridge starts to get empty. They charge $40 for 5 meals, with free shipping and no subscriptions, unlike almost every other similar service that wants $9-$11/meal and insists on subscriptions. No extended preparation needed; just put the container in the microwave for a few minutes or empty the food into a pot to heat it up.

One downside is they have a smaller variety of meals than others, but I figure that helps with keeping their costs down.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:11 AM
SOA

Another thing to check, many of them assume you have standard ingredients like milk and oil on hand. Make sure they aren't assuming that - or that you can roll with it.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary View Post
I'll probably order from cleaneatzkitchen.com when my fridge starts to get empty. They charge $40 for 5 meals, with free shipping and no subscriptions, unlike almost every other similar service that wants $9-$11/meal and insists on subscriptions. No extended preparation needed; just put the container in the microwave for a few minutes or empty the food into a pot to heat it up.

One downside is they have a smaller variety of meals than others, but I figure that helps with keeping their costs down.
Never heard of that, but sounds like it's worth a try. $40 for 5 meals is cheaper than taking out. Let us know the portion size once you've tried it, if you don't mind.

Last edited by Chopin-Lover; 04-13-2020 at 10:29 AM..
Old 04-13-2020, 10:22 AM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: the one you're buying me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary View Post

I would wonder about the portion size, too.