Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Modules 1-5
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 09-14-2011, 05:34 PM

Default EOM 4 Meets Minimum Requirements

I just submitted EOM 4 exercise, and I've been comparing to the solution they give you. I have 1 calculation incorrect, which changes my overall numbers slightly. Everything else is correct, and my paper is written pretty close to the solution paper as far as recommendations and the results of the recommendations. Since I have one formula incorrect, do I grade myself as Does Not Meet Minimum Requirements, or since everything else is correct, do I grade myself as Meets?

Also, has anyone graded themselves as Does Not Meet for this module and if so, do they make you do a whole new project, or correct your current one? Or do they only make you do a whole different project if you grade yourself as Meeting and they say you didn't?
Old 09-14-2011, 05:44 PM

The calculation that you have incorrect, without going into detail, can you support what you did? If you believe what you did makes sense, I would say it does meet. Just to give a silly example, assume you had to make an assumption and one way to do it was to average something (say interest rate). I choose to do geometric mean, the solution choose to do arithmetic mean. I'm fine with what I did. Like you said, the sensitivity of what you did your way does not appear to be significant.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuarialsuck View Post
The calculation that you have incorrect, without going into detail, can you support what you did? If you believe what you did makes sense, I would say it does meet. Just to give a silly example, assume you had to make an assumption and one way to do it was to average something (say interest rate). I choose to do geometric mean, the solution choose to do arithmetic mean. I'm fine with what I did. Like you said, the sensitivity of what you did your way does not appear to be significant.
It sounds more like he did something that was actually a calculation error (maybe using say using end of period values instead of beginning of period values or something like that).

I would pay close attention to what the solution says in terms of meets/does not meet minimum requirements. I don't think they generally say that you have to have every calculation correct in the solution. If it is a minor error that does not change any of your conclusions, I would think it would be reasonable to grade yourself as meets minimum requirements (obviously depending on what the solution actually says as far as that goes).
Old 09-14-2011, 06:13 PM
SOA

People actually consider grading themselves as "Does not meet minimum requirements"?
Old 09-14-2011, 07:53 PM
Sentinel

Some do....I never have...but some do...
I can see if you completely misinterpreted the question and turned in gibberish or didn't follow instructions, but why waste your time?

Failing yourself over 1 calculation error? Come on.

Grade as yourself as meet requirements and move on with your life.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:32 PM

I had a small calculation wrong and still passed that assignment according to me and the grader.

I had just messed up one of the excel formulas and added in an extra number, but it ended up changing one answer a bit. I think I still passed because I did back up the number I got with some reasoning in words.

Cindy
Old 09-15-2011, 10:02 AM
Note Contributor
SOA

Studying for nothing!

One of the EOM sample solutions said you had to give ranges on the estimates presented in your solution in order to meet minimum requirements, but there was nothing about point estimates vs range estimates in the assignment. I had done range estimates for some of it and point estimates for some of it, so I gave myself the benefit of the doubt and graded myself as meets minimum requirements. The grader agreed.

I'd say if you think you substantially addressed all of the key aspects of the question correctly (albeit through the lens of a different numerical answer), let the grader decide how egregious your calculation error is.

FWIW, when I had to redo EOM3 (uploaded the wrong file) they used the same base scenario but the business problem had changed and I had to answer different questions. If you or the SOA decide you have to redo it, I'd guess that you would have a similar experience.

Tags
eom 4, eom4