Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:07 AM
CAS SOA

College: UWI Mona 2014
Default Fast forward to APC? Help!

I need a little advice. I currently live in Jamaica and I'm still a student...I know that regularly, eligibility for the APC requires that you have MOST of the credentials required for ASA already. However, apparently for the APC in Jamaica, December 2013 in particular, they have relaxed some of these requirements. I have received an e-mail from the Director of International Activities (SOA) suggesting that I may register for this APC session given the exam credits I have already, if I desire to be an ASA.

My issue however is that I'm still not quite sure which of the SOA/CAS routes I will take yet! My applications will be sent for pretty much every LOB but if I am privileged enough to have a choice, I think I would actually go with P&C. There is no guarantee however that I will stay/even end up in P&C though, because I haven't tried and gotten a taste of anything other than some internships in Life. I still have no idea which LOB I will end up in.

APC in my very own country about a 3 hr drive away, without requiring 4/5 exams and FAP modules...sounds like a pretty juicy offer. But if it's something that I'd end up just wasting money for because I ultimately decide to pursue an FCAS instead, it wouldn't make much sense.

So, who thinks I should capitalize on this offer and register?

(NB. My sig indicates my exam progress so far and I plan to start working around June 2014)
Old 11-16-2013, 01:15 PM

Studying for nothing!
College: Penn State

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_asnani View Post
APC in my very own country about a 3 hr drive away, without requiring 4/5 exams and FAP modules...sounds like a pretty juicy offer.
How so? The APC doesn't make you an ASA, it's just one of the many requirements (and by far the easiest) for getting the ASA. If you're employed in a remotely reasonable non-P&C actuarial position your employer will pay for you to attend an APC at the appropriate time, and won't balk at a fairly minor travel expense.

On the other hand if you attend it now, you'll be paying for it yourself (personally I could think of better ways to spend $500) and may not ever need it.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:38 PM
Defending the AO since 2007
SOA AAA

Studying for GHDP-A
College: Hard Knox U.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_asnani View Post
I need a little advice. I currently live in Jamaica and I'm still a student...I know that regularly, eligibility for the APC requires that you have MOST of the credentials required for ASA already. However, apparently for the APC in Jamaica, December 2013 in particular, they have relaxed some of these requirements. I have received an e-mail from the Director of International Activities (SOA) suggesting that I may register for this APC session given the exam credits I have already, if I desire to be an ASA.

My issue however is that I'm still not quite sure which of the SOA/CAS routes I will take yet! My applications will be sent for pretty much every LOB but if I am privileged enough to have a choice, I think I would actually go with P&C. There is no guarantee however that I will stay/even end up in P&C though, because I haven't tried and gotten a taste of anything other than some internships in Life. I still have no idea which LOB I will end up in.

APC in my very own country about a 3 hr drive away, without requiring 4/5 exams and FAP modules...sounds like a pretty juicy offer. But if it's something that I'd end up just wasting money for because I ultimately decide to pursue an FCAS instead, it wouldn't make much sense.

So, who thinks I should capitalize on this offer and register?

(NB. My sig indicates my exam progress so far and I plan to start working around June 2014)
Don't worry about it. If you go P&C, you can take the SOA GI track. The CAS will be obsolete in 5 years anyway. FCAS will go the way of the VCR repairman.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statatak View Post
I'm not the sharpest tool on the AO, but I'm comforted by the idea that no matter how vapid and incoherent my arguments are that there may be a kernel of truth buried somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pac Shakur View Post
i am broken and incapable of thought and a bunch of other stuff
Old 11-18-2013, 11:59 PM
CAS AAA

College: Indiana University
Favorite beer: Becks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
Don't worry about it. If you go P&C, you can take the SOA GI track. The CAS will be obsolete in 5 years anyway. FCAS will go the way of the VCR repairman.
Get a grip on reality.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:15 AM
Defending the AO since 2007
SOA AAA

Studying for GHDP-A
College: Hard Knox U.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlie_Proctor View Post
Get a grip on reality.
This comment would be more appropriately addressed toward the SOA. I'm just paraphrasing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statatak View Post
I'm not the sharpest tool on the AO, but I'm comforted by the idea that no matter how vapid and incoherent my arguments are that there may be a kernel of truth buried somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pac Shakur View Post
i am broken and incapable of thought and a bunch of other stuff

Tags
actuary, advice, apc, cas, soa