Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Modules 1-5
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:39 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout
Default EOM4 new FAP - McNulty Getaways

My initial reactions were "Finally, a clear EOM exercise!"

My secondary reaction was something along the lines of "man, this exercise seems relatively simple".

Is anyone else having the same feelings? I feel like this exercise boils down to one email reply, building a RCD tool, a memo narrating three of the risks, and another memo recommending strategies to mitigate a few of the risks. Given this, I don't see it taking more than 4 or 5 hours to accomplish (assuming of course that you've comprehensively read and retained Segal's ERM readings). This is coming from me of course, where I've spent at least as much time as the SOA's recommended time when it comes to these EOM exercises.

Thoughts?

ASA FHE Mod HF Mod, PRF Mod, DP-GH GH-Advanced, DMAC, FAC
Old 04-02-2012, 08:53 PM

Compared to 1 and especially 2, yes this one was pretty easy. I thought 3 was pretty easy also though. I usually don't think funny names in problem statements are all that amusing, but the wire references got a slight chuckle out of me.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:20 PM
SOA

Just started this module and I get the impression that the Segel textbook is pretty essential for completing this exercise...

Did anyone manage to complete this task without the Segel textbook?

Also, does anyone have any hints as to how this RCD tool needs to be put together? Are they after an actual Excel-based tool or what? Is this covered in Segel?

Thanks for any info...
Old 05-09-2012, 06:42 PM

You pretty much need the textbook. However you might be safe if you're operating under the assumption they don't really scrutinize the eoms, in that case you can just bs your way through it using the module contents, soa readings and internet readings. The RCD "tool" is just a list of risks. I guess calling it a list would make it harder for Sim to get his fat consulting paycheck or whatever he does. If you have the textbook it's pretty clear what it's supposed to look like.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:23 AM
SOA

One thing I'd also add is that although the exercise calls it the 'risk categorization and design tool', the text book calls it the 'risk categorization and definition' tool. The later produces some more helpful results in google.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:49 AM
SOA

So for Task2, I was wondering how subjective can we be with the deterministic scenarios?

Last edited by Maxit; 05-21-2012 at 06:03 AM..
Old 05-21-2012, 11:24 AM

Very subjective, I just wrote whatever popped in my head.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:35 PM
SOA

I just received the dreaded DNMMR email for this module. In all honesty, I am completely surprised as I cannot for the life of me find a place in my submission where I did not meet their minimum requirements. I actually think this was my best submission to date.

Just a warning for those of you who are still working on this. I can't find anyone else on here that has had to submit the new EOM4 exercise.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:03 AM
SOA

After reviewing my submission against the model solution again, I still could not find how I did not meet the minimum requirements. So, I decided to reply to the eLearn email with 2 concerns.

Short story: I actually passed the module. DO NOT embed a zip file into a Word document.

Long story: For the first task, I embedded my RCD Tool as a zip file in the Word document (as I didn't think it would fit as a normal table due to the page dimensions) AND I uploaded the Excel file along with the other required Word documents. Turns out, the grader thought my zip file was a picture, AND also never looked at my separate Excel file as it was "not required as part of this exercise." I've been told I'll be receiving a pass for this exercise.

I redownloaded my submission and it looks like the SOA's upload software converts the embedded objects to a picture. Still doesn't explain why the grader would not look at all of the uploaded documents, considering I uploaded the RCD Tool separately as well.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:31 AM
SOA

Studying for Life
Favorite beer: Espresso

I am now finishing EOM4. I find it to be very enjoyable and simple clear. The module's focus on models is also rather nice.

Tags
eom 4, eom4