Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 05-28-2020, 03:32 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Scotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena Lake View Post
And all of the threats that he made - the leveraging of fear over her - happened prior to the filming.
Show me
Old 05-28-2020, 03:34 PM
CAS

Quote:
There was an entire interaction between them before he started filming it. And all of the threats that he made - the leveraging of fear over her - happened prior to the filming. Sure, he was calm... right after he had led her to believe that he was going to hurt either her or her dog.
Now you're just making things up.

Quote:
But sure, all she had to do was walk calmly away after that. "I'm going to do what I want, and you're not going to like it" is totally the kind of thing that a woman alone should just calmly walk away from like it's no big deal.
If I took that as a threat, I certainly wouldn't approach the threat and stick my finger in his face.

"If you're just going to do what you want, then I'm going to do what I want, and you're not going to like it" is cheeky, and possibly could be interpreted as threatening until he pulls out the dog treats. But being cheeky and ambiguous is not remotely as bad as actually making a fake 911 call and trying to use racism to get someone hurt/arrested/killed.
Old 05-28-2020, 03:35 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
HL will now state that she is asking what her reaction should be AFTER she escalated it by dragging her dog by the collar and pointing at the African-American man.
Sheesh. Don't you know that her first action is immune from criticism, because she's has the privilege of escalating it, 'cause NYC/white/woman/dog-owner/actuary?
<Sigh> No, her actions aren't immune from criticism. But it's also not particularly fair-minded or objective to assume that she's a lying faker who was trying to get him killed by cop because she was affronted by being asked to leash her dog. FFS, she should have ****ing leashed her damned dog in the first place. But he also should not have ****ing threatened her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
I mean, same, almost exactly, as the Georgian white guys who escalated a situation by pulling a gun on a black man, then shot after the black man had the uppityness to "threaten" them.
Don't blame the white guys for pulling out their guns. No, the REAL issue was that the black man charged them.
No, the McMichaels were pretty much racist jerks acting like vigilantes who chased a guy in their truck, blocked him when he tried to run away from the crazy guys in a truck, then aimed a shot-gun at him... then called it "self defense" when he tried to disarm them, which was about the only option left to Arbery after having tried to run away from them for four minutes.
Old 05-28-2020, 03:35 PM
CAS

Quote:
Because the internet delights in death threats and other completely uncivilize and execrable behavior. A kid in a Trump hat got death threats for not moving out of the way. A woman got death threats for posting a picture of herself with her big game kill. A woman got death threats and hounded out of a job for telling a bad joke. Holy shit, a woman got repeated death and rape threats because she thought some guy's comment at a conference was sexist and said something about it!

Are you seriously not aware of how ****ed up the social media hordes are?
Nobody on here is making death threats.
Old 05-28-2020, 03:37 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
she's a 41 year old grown woman. she was acting like a crazy person. she should have known better.

never did anything like that in my life.

also, the thing that started this was her breaking leashing laws. I hate people who break social rules. I try not to do that and certainly would stop if called out on doing it.

i'd have more sympathy for her if it was the dude breaking the leashing law and somehow that resulted in the 911 call.
Can you tell us the story of the origins of the "Buru Rule" again?
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGillotine View Post
I'd also give the advice to a guy.

Seriously, did you watch the video? Her tone is definitively Offended/Angry when she closes in and confronts the guy. Then it magically changes to hysterical/terrified once she gets on the phone, despite him behaving in the least threatening way possible (just standing, very far away from her).
I see. She should have gone straight to a flight response. Clearly, that fight response is unacceptable, and makes her a liar.
AAA

Quote:
You're missing the point here, aofan.

Your comments don't stand out as long as you're anonymous. But if some doxxing were added to it... it's a whole different story.

I'm not attacking you, by the way. I still disagree with your id being banned from political. I figured it would be a topic on which you (and other people on here) could empathize.

Because yeah - nothing you did was all that remarkable. It's certainly not evidence that you're a rampant racist bigot who is a horrible person. Not for anyone who knows you. But if that conversation were to be posted to the world at large along with your real name and your address and your employer?

That's where the problem with internet shaming and mob justice comes in. Because you would be treated just as harshly as this woman has been. You would get death threats. Your employer would be pressured to fire you. Not because you're a bad person (you're not), but because in a conversation you said something that can be read as being bigoted. And the internet mob would react to that the same way they reacted to this. You'd be labeled and vilified and a horde of complete strangers who know nothing about you as a person would have your financial and emotional well being in their hands... and they have no empathy and no compassion.

And you would not deserve it.

Nobody deserves that.
Amy Cooper is engaged in public activity filing a police report of a (false) incident in a public location. Her behavior in public has ramifications for her employer.

This isn't her privately joining some Fight Club in someone's basement.

Proverbs 3 Verse 5/6
Old 05-28-2020, 03:38 PM

Studying for EA-2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGillotine View Post

"If you're just going to do what you want, then I'm going to do what I want, and you're not going to like it" is cheeky, and possibly could be interpreted as threatening until he pulls out the dog treats. But being cheeky and ambiguous is not remotely as bad as actually making a fake 911 call and trying to use racism to get someone hurt/arrested/killed.
with that line, i'd have to hear his tone of voice to interpret it, which I can't because it's not on video. I suspect it was said in a joking way.
Spoiler:
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
And you would not deserve it.

Nobody deserves that.
What does it mean to deserve something? If most people desire for you to have a certain fate, what would make you not deserve it? Especially if you were the only one who thought otherwise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Scotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Daneel Olivaw View Post
Couple of entitled NYC as*****s pushing each other across lines of civility. She just went further than he did and on camera.

To quote the Bard: "A plague o' both your houses!"
oh, I am sure he probably majored in pomposity. and even if the dog treat thing works, I don't like it. As for the filming - not sure if the Black man defense mechanism or some intent to public shame he over the dog.