Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 05-28-2020, 03:39 PM

Studying for EA-2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcie View Post
Can you tell us the story of the origins of the "Buru Rule" again?
not sure how that's relevant
Spoiler:
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: the one you're buying me

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1695814 View Post
Correct, but that also opens the company up to wrongful termination lawsuits and having to prove the for cause part.

It's been my observation that companies will pay out the severance just to be done with the matter.
Depends on what's in the Employment Contract.

There may be something in there like what some athletes' contracts contain: conduct detrimental to the (team, company, organization, etc).

I think I would consider this conduct detriment to the company.

But, as was pointed out several times, we have no idea of the circumstances of her employment there.
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena Lake View Post
I see. She should have gone straight to a flight response. Clearly, that fight response is unacceptable, and makes her a liar.
Because I have working eyeballs and ears and a basic understanding of human behavior I can see what happened quite clearly. As can apparently everyone but you.
Old 05-28-2020, 03:41 PM
CAS

At what point, when you are a self-described person who doesn't understand social cues, and everyone in the world is noting how a video-taped interaction went down, and you think it went down a completely different way, do you admit that maybe you don't understand it or that your own biases are clouding how you see things?
Old 05-28-2020, 03:42 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
oh, I am sure he probably majored in pomposity. and even if the dog treat thing works, I don't like it. As for the filming - not sure if the Black man defense mechanism or some intent to public shame he over the dog.
Defense mechanism for sure, or he'd have pulled the camera earlier. I also am trying to get in the habit of filming things. And especially if you're black there are now dozens of high profile cases where white people try to frame black people in ways that are saved by video evidence.
Old 05-28-2020, 03:42 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGillotine View Post
Because you brought up the threatening action of him offering a dog treats?

One thing I always do, and this is just me talking as a manly man, is when I feel threatened by strange black men with dog treats, I don't walk up to them from across a park and put my finger in their face. But that's just my advice as a man, with much experience in the ways of men.
Seriously, Gill? BY HIS OWN ACCOUNT he told her "I'm going to do what I want, and you're not going to like it". Do you really think she just magically knew that he mean "I'm going to give your dog an innocuous treat that he'll like and it will be harmless".

You're looking at this with perfect hindsight, based on him having already told you that the treats are just plain treats.

But in the order in which events occurred, without having that knowledge, that is definitely NOT what I would have assumed.

His first comment - "I'm going to do what I want, and you're not going to like it" would have already had me near panic, because I would assume that some crazy person is about to beat me up, or rape me, or kill me. I would have already spiked on adrenaline.

After that, when he starts calling my dog to him, I would assume that he was going to hurt my dog. Which would have even further ramped up my fear and anxiety.

And if I'm essentially alone, in trees? I might very well try confrontation as a first step, because I wouldn't have any confidence that I would be able to outrun someone, especially not with my dog. So yeah, I might try some bravado and go for the fight reflex first.

But apparently you feel that she should have just realized and known that he was harmless and just wanted to give her dog a treat?
Old 05-28-2020, 03:44 PM

Studying for EA-2L

there's a posse on facebook with a similar argument as Helena Lake
Spoiler:
Old 05-28-2020, 03:44 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

It's possible that things happened before the video that would make her look more favorable. It's not like we saw what happened prior to the recording.

She's not fighting it, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 05-28-2020, 03:46 PM

Studying for EA-2L

Quote:
Seriously, Gill? BY HIS OWN ACCOUNT he told her "I'm going to do what I want, and you're not going to like it". Do you really think she just magically knew that he mean "I'm going to give your dog an innocuous treat that he'll like and it will be harmless".

You're looking at this with perfect hindsight, based on him having already told you that the treats are just plain treats.

But in the order in which events occurred, without having that knowledge, that is definitely NOT what I would have assumed.

His first comment - "I'm going to do what I want, and you're not going to like it" would have already had me near panic, because I would assume that some crazy person is about to beat me up, or rape me, or kill me. I would have already spiked on adrenaline.

After that, when he starts calling my dog to him, I would assume that he was going to hurt my dog. Which would have even further ramped up my fear and anxiety.

And if I'm essentially alone, in trees? I might very well try confrontation as a first step, because I wouldn't have any confidence that I would be able to outrun someone, especially not with my dog. So yeah, I might try some bravado and go for the fight reflex first.

But apparently you feel that she should have just realized and known that he was harmless and just wanted to give her dog a treat?
she got in his face and yelled at him to stop taping her. how is taping a threat?
Spoiler:
Old 05-28-2020, 03:48 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Not understanding the concept of "/dripping," which you conveniently left out of your quoting of my post, or did not read.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art

“That is reminiscent of Harry Truman’s famous saying, ‘The buck stops, uh, somewhere over there, maybe?' That is a level of dodging responsibility that Trump has been perfecting ever since he was very much not in Vietnam.” -- LWTwJO