Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 06-02-2020, 01:11 PM
SOA

Default Noisy neighbors' kids

Is there a polite way to ask neighbors to get their kids to refrain from blood-curdling screams while playing outside?

Don't get me wrong: I have 3 kids of my own, and I totally believe kids should be free to play, have fun, and yes, even get loud at times. That's not the problem.

The problem is, these kids scream as if they're being killed. Or they yell at each other angrily. Or they whine at a shockingly high decibel level. And now that I'm working from home all the time, I'm aware of every minute that they're outside.
Old 06-02-2020, 01:15 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
Is there a polite way to ask neighbors to get their kids to refrain from blood-curdling screams while playing outside?

Don't get me wrong: I have 3 kids of my own, and I totally believe kids should be free to play, have fun, and yes, even get loud at times. That's not the problem.

The problem is, these kids scream as if they're being killed. Or they yell at each other angrily. Or they whine at a shockingly high decibel level. And now that I'm working from home all the time, I'm aware of every minute that they're outside.
Wait, you live in my house???
'cause my neighbor's two kids do this frequently as well. I wondered what the hell they're doing over there. But then, I merely concluded that their millennial parents are really shitty at this.

Anywho, how do you approach them?

Well, first, bake some cookies. No, not oatmeal raisin just because you want to get rid of that box.
Next time you hear them, go to their front door with the cookies and ask, "Did your kids die again today? Or, stung by hornets again today? The blood-curdling screams concern me, but I'm also trying to work, 'cause COVID."

Disclaimer: I've never done this before, but I want to know if it will work. Thanks for guinea-pigging this. For science.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art

“That is reminiscent of Harry Truman’s famous saying, ‘The buck stops, uh, somewhere over there, maybe?' That is a level of dodging responsibility that Trump has been perfecting ever since he was very much not in Vietnam.” -- LWTwJO

Last edited by Dr T Non-Fan; 06-02-2020 at 01:25 PM..
Old 06-02-2020, 01:19 PM

Studying for EA-2L

I feel your pain with my own neighbors kids.

I wound up having a screaming match with one of them because her kid would constantly bang on my ceiling. now I bang back with a Swiffer wet jet.

the kids across the hall just have loud voices that pierce my brain. had a confrontation with that woman too, but it was more civil. i'm not sure there is much she can really do to keep her kids quiet other than keep them out of the hallways. kids are just loud. i hear them through my door even when both my door and her door are closed. one good thing about the social distancing is i assume they don't have friends over now, so it's not as bad as it was pre social distancing when they would have gatherings of kids there and sometimes they would get in the hallway.
Spoiler:

Last edited by ao fan; 06-02-2020 at 01:33 PM..
Old 06-02-2020, 01:39 PM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: the one you're buying me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
I feel your pain with my own neighbors kids.

I wound up having a screaming match with one of them because her kid would constantly bang on my ceiling. now I bang back with a Swiffer wet jet.

the kids across the hall just have loud voices that pierce my brain. had a confrontation with that woman too, but it was more civil. i'm not sure there is much she can really do to keep her kids quiet other than keep them out of the hallways. kids are just loud. i hear them through my door even when both my door and her door are closed. one good thing about the social distancing is i assume they don't have friends over now, so it's not as bad as it was pre social distancing when they would have gatherings of kids there and sometimes they would get in the hallway.
You need to move

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Old 06-02-2020, 02:05 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Adams Summer Seasonal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post

I don't really know that there's anything that you can really do about it. I would just get some noise cancelling headphones to put in while they are outside playing loudly.
Old 06-02-2020, 02:09 PM

Studying for EA-2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
You need to move
would need to sell my apartment, which is basically impossible right now in the middle of a pandemic and with rioters looting my city.
Spoiler:
Old 06-02-2020, 02:09 PM

Studying for EA-2L

Egghead, have you looked into sound proof windows?

I don't think you can stop the kids from screaming, but that could be a solution.
Spoiler:
Old 06-02-2020, 02:27 PM
It's a funny name.

Other than calmly explain to the parents how the noises are affecting you, acknowledge how hard it must be on them to be at home with kids all day, and politely asking if they can have a chat with their kids about keeping the murder re-enactments to a minimum, I don't know what you can do. I know if I hear my kids outside yelling their heads off, I'll ask them to try to be considerate of those around them and be a little quieter.

You could try screaming matches, but I suspect that would be less effective than the above. Just my $0.02.

Half the COVID time, I'm working at my kitchen table, right next to a window. The lady next door runs a daycare, and is still open (I guess for essential service workers). There really aren't any murder-esque screams coming from them, but there's lots of noise. It's part of the deal, and I'm not too concerned about it. Some of the conversations I've overheard between kids who think nobody is listening are pretty funny.
Old 06-02-2020, 02:31 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for CSPA
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

Haven't read all replies . . .

+1 on having a conversation with your neighbors about "outdoor" interaction. Share with them your concern of uncertainty around whether or not the kids really need help and the amount of distraction that causes.

Also, working on those things you do have control . . . invest in the "noise-cancelling" head gear.

Why should I worry about dying? It’s not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 06-02-2020, 02:33 PM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: the one you're buying me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
would need to sell my apartment, which is basically impossible right now in the middle of a pandemic and with rioters looting my city.
Have you yelled at them for not socially distancing?

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.