Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > TV Shows, Movies, Books, etc
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 09-11-2019, 09:49 AM

Favorite beer: pilseners

Oh snap I need to finish m/m. I got bored halfway through.

But I think Eliot should be required reading for actuaries. Not because she's great (she is) but because she has a habit of (wo)mansplaining the most basic social interaction and motivations, which is great for those of us that need humanity boiled down to Excel formulas.

"So and so is friends with so and so because she is thinking X and is feeling Y, and so when she says Z she actually means Q". Oh kay.

Last edited by Sredni Vashtar; 09-11-2019 at 10:55 AM..
Old 09-11-2019, 10:09 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo the Clown View Post
Just downloaded the audio book versions of Catch-22 and Shogun, inspired by the Abandoned Novels thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine-iac View Post
I just finished the audio of Shogun. I enjoyed the book, but there is no detail of Japanese culture too trivial for Clavell to describe. Hence the length.
I started the Shogun audiobook last week and quit it by Saturday. The story seems alright, but the narration is less than good.

* Not sure if narrator or editing/production, but in almost every sentence, the last word or three are at 5% volume compared to the rest of the sentence.
* The narrator overacts, IMO.
* Pronunciations are pretty rough.

This is the first audiobook I've started that I don't plan to finish.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:35 AM

I just randomly started House of Leaves.

I don't know anything about it, but it sure looks like it's going to be a hell of a cluster****.

Last edited by Sredni Vashtar; 09-11-2019 at 10:51 AM..
Old 09-11-2019, 10:48 AM
CAS SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Wine

Huh. I actually am a huge Jane Austen fan, but I don't consider George Eliot to be anything like her in style or content. The mood I'm in when I feel like picking up The Mill on the Floss is NOTHING like the mood I'm in when I feel like picking up Emma.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:59 AM
Note Contributor
SOA

Studying for G&H DP-A+FV-A
Favorite beer: Yuengling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I just randomly started House of Leaves.

I don't know anything about it, but it sure looks like it's going to be a hell of a cluster****.
I LOVED THAT BOOK SO MUCH!!!!

I'm not sure the gimmick would work for me now. But when I read it (~10 years ago I think) House of Leaves scared me like no horror book ever has, I had literal nightmares and was scared to be in my house alone. (In a good way!) I"m not sure why because it isn't that scary. Just really, really creepy.

Last edited by tbug; 09-11-2019 at 11:04 AM..
Old 09-11-2019, 01:15 PM

Favorite beer: Yes, Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajstudies View Post
I abandoned Catch-22. It was a weight off.
I don't think that's a book I'd enjoy as an audio book. A lot of the word play is best read.

The trial scene is one of my favorite comedy scenes in all of literature and cinema.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poley McPoleface View Post
Oh hey, I just read Library at Mount Char a couple weeks ago. It was incredibly weird and often gross for the sake of being gross but I enjoyed it.
Ha, I'm so desensitized from some of the darker fantasy I've read (the genocide in Malazan for example) that it didn't even register for me.

But I did enjoy the story.

I need to read more shorter fantasy, instead of a bunch of 2000+ page trilogies.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:17 PM

Finished Library at Mount Char and Exile (the second Drizzt book). Started Sojourn (#3) and halfway through The Stranger.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusus Naturae View Post
I don't think that's a book I'd enjoy as an audio book. A lot of the word play is best read.

The trial scene is one of my favorite comedy scenes in all of literature and cinema.
Several hours into the audiobook now, and I think I agree with you. I have to really focus to catch it all. I'm still enjoying the book a lot, but think I would enjoy it more in print.

I remember at least beginning to read this at one point, because I remember the part about Yossarian censoring letters and signing them as Washington Irving. All of it feels familiar so far.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbug View Post
I LOVED THAT BOOK SO MUCH!!!!

I'm not sure the gimmick would work for me now. But when I read it (~10 years ago I think) House of Leaves scared me like no horror book ever has, I had literal nightmares and was scared to be in my house alone. (In a good way!) I"m not sure why because it isn't that scary. Just really, really creepy.
I wish I was younger, more naive, more full of blood, and had more free time to devote.

Johnny Truant reminds me a lot of John Dies at the End. I don't expect to be scared, but entertained...

The detail, intellectual rigor, variety of voices, the bibliography, critical theory, the inventiveness of the critiques, the poetry and insanity to come, and sheer weight of the book is amazing. I'm only a couple pages in, but if this keeps up I think the author deserves some high-fives (and nobels) for out Nabokoving Nabokov and out-Joycing Joyce and out Pynchoning Pynchon