Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11651  
Old 08-22-2012, 01:51 PM
The Wizard of Awe's Avatar
The Wizard of Awe The Wizard of Awe is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,472
Default

Downloaded Metal Gear Solid HD Collection last night off of Games on Demand. It was $25, which is cheaper than I've seen the disc anywhere. I forgot how much I enjoyed these games (even though MGS1 is the best). This will definitely hold me over until Aug 28 and Madden release.
Reply With Quote
  #11652  
Old 08-22-2012, 11:12 PM
764dak's Avatar
764dak 764dak is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,045
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard of Awe View Post
Why is that funny?
It's funny because in the storyline guys like Sub-Zero and Scorpion managed to beat Superman.
Reply With Quote
  #11653  
Old 08-23-2012, 10:31 AM
The Wizard of Awe's Avatar
The Wizard of Awe The Wizard of Awe is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 764dak View Post
It's funny because in the storyline guys like Sub-Zero and Scorpion managed to beat Superman.
Right, but heads were not removed.
Reply With Quote
  #11654  
Old 08-23-2012, 10:36 AM
The Wizard of Awe's Avatar
The Wizard of Awe The Wizard of Awe is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard of Awe View Post
http://deals.woot.com/deals/details/...ree-shipping#1

Get $12 off any pre-order game from NewEgg. Expires 8/23/2012

Code: EMCNBHJ256
I pre-ordered XCOM: Enemy Unknown with this. I have never gotten into RTS or Turn-Based Tactical games, but this looks so good I had to get it. My gaming future is very diverse based on what I've already pre-ordered.
Madden (Sports 8/28)
Resident Evil 6 (Co-Op Modern Day Survival Horror 10/2)
XCOM: Enemy Unknown (Tactical 10/9)
South Park: Stick of Truth (Turn-based RPG March 2013)
Reply With Quote
  #11655  
Old 08-23-2012, 11:28 AM
Chronus's Avatar
Chronus Chronus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 11,389
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard of Awe View Post
I pre-ordered XCOM: Enemy Unknown with this. I have never gotten into RTS or Turn-Based Tactical games, but this looks so good I had to get it. My gaming future is very diverse based on what I've already pre-ordered.
Madden (Sports 8/28)
Resident Evil 6 (Co-Op Modern Day Survival Horror 10/2)
XCOM: Enemy Unknown (Tactical 10/9)
South Park: Stick of Truth (Turn-based RPG March 2013)
I still have a lot of concerns about RE6. I hope it's good but I'm skeptical.
Reply With Quote
  #11656  
Old 08-23-2012, 11:41 AM
yoyo's Avatar
yoyo yoyo is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 24,887
Default

i'm fairly new to modern pc gaming. how does game play for the resident evil games compare to something like left 4 dead or dead island?
Reply With Quote
  #11657  
Old 08-23-2012, 11:46 AM
Chronus's Avatar
Chronus Chronus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 11,389
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
i'm fairly new to modern pc gaming. how does game play for the resident evil games compare to something like left 4 dead or dead island?
It depends on which RE game we are talking about. The older ones were much slower but the newer ones have been more action oriented and have started to play more similar to fast paced action games. From the sound of it RE6 is going to be a mix with certain areas being very action heavy and others being slower more suspenseful areas.

It is also a 3rd person view instead of the 1st person that L4D uses.
Reply With Quote
  #11658  
Old 08-23-2012, 01:29 PM
The Wizard of Awe's Avatar
The Wizard of Awe The Wizard of Awe is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronus View Post
I still have a lot of concerns about RE6. I hope it's good but I'm skeptical.
Even if RE6 is only ok, it will be great. My wife watched me play through RE4 recently and even told me not to play without her around. When I told her RE6 was going to be two-player co-op she immediately responds, "BUY IT NOW!" So, as long as it's decent enough to play together and she can still be scared (RE4 scared her plenty), it will be worth the purchase. Plus, Capcom is actually giving you stuff like costumes based on how much you play the game, instead of charging you.

I will say, nothing scared me more in RE4 than when something grabbed at me from behind or I turned around and saw something right there and my wife screams really loud. That startled the crap out of me every time.
Reply With Quote
  #11659  
Old 08-23-2012, 01:43 PM
Chronus's Avatar
Chronus Chronus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 11,389
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard of Awe View Post
Even if RE6 is only ok, it will be great. My wife watched me play through RE4 recently and even told me not to play without her around. When I told her RE6 was going to be two-player co-op she immediately responds, "BUY IT NOW!" So, as long as it's decent enough to play together and she can still be scared (RE4 scared her plenty), it will be worth the purchase. Plus, Capcom is actually giving you stuff like costumes based on how much you play the game, instead of charging you.

I will say, nothing scared me more in RE4 than when something grabbed at me from behind or I turned around and saw something right there and my wife screams really loud. That startled the crap out of me every time.
RE4 is one of my all time favorite games, but RE5 was a huge let down. The part that has me worried for RE6 is that they are essentially trying to do three different storylines and three different styles of gameplay. I'm worried that they are all going to be mediocre to bad instead of doing just one well.
Reply With Quote
  #11660  
Old 08-24-2012, 01:37 PM
OddSox OddSox is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Studying for Jazz Piano
Favorite beer: Founders Dirty Bastard
Posts: 12,106
Default

I'm mainly a PC gamer who generally stocks up on all my new games during the Steam sales. I have a ton of games to play but I don't think I can resist The Dark Souls port which came out today. It would be the first game I've bought full-price in over a year. Everything I've heard about it sounds amazing.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, real analysis = real men, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 1.01327 seconds with 12 queries