Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:32 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronus View Post
My two favorites are RE4 and the original RE that was completely remade for the gamecube (and also released on Wii). The other old ones don't hold up as well graphically so you'll lose more if you go back and play them.
This this and more of this!
Old 10-02-2012, 03:35 PM
SOA

I saw RE6's metacritic score was being dragged down by some bad scores. I really hate game review scores, because they tell you jack shit.

For a sequel, I'd like to know how they felt about 4 and 5. If they start complaining about how "you couldn't shoot and move in 5," I will immediately discredit their review. If they complain about CGI cut scenes, I will spit on their review.

You don't play RE6 games to get a Gears or Halo experience. RE is a specific brand with a specific feel. Gametrailer's review mentioned a ton of things they didn't like about it, but in the end said "fans of the series will find a lot here to like, especially bringing back some of the tension that was missing with 5." That sounds like good news to me
Old 10-02-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
I saw RE6's metacritic score was being dragged down by some bad scores. I really hate game review scores, because they tell you jack shit.

For a sequel, I'd like to know how they felt about 4 and 5. If they start complaining about how "you couldn't shoot and move in 5," I will immediately discredit their review. If they complain about CGI cut scenes, I will spit on their review.

You don't play RE6 games to get a Gears or Halo experience. RE is a specific brand with a specific feel. Gametrailer's review mentioned a ton of things they didn't like about it, but in the end said "fans of the series will find a lot here to like, especially bringing back some of the tension that was missing with 5." That sounds like good news to me
I don't mind the metacritic score for critics reviews, I think that overall it gives a decent metric, but you are right it doesn't tell the whole story.

I completely ignore user reviews because they are almost all idiotic. Immediate fan reaction that just has nerd rage and gives 0 because there is something that isn't working exactly right.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronus View Post
Seems like Resident Evil 6 is getting mainly mixed reviews and even the positive reviews mention that the game has a lot of issues.

Given what I'd previously heard about the game this isn't a surprise but I'm still a little sad based on how awesome some of the older games were. I'll probably still pick it up eventually but most likely at $30 and not $60.
I'm getting it for $48 from NewEgg. As long as I can play through all three campaigns with my wife and we have fun and maybe get a scare or two, it will be worth it. I'm just hoping it's good enough for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeitra View Post
Cut scene things are terrible for games >.>

That being said RE5 was good times when played on the hard difficulty without the infinite ammo that was unlockable.

I'd need someone to reliably play with before I consider RE6.
Are you talking about Quick Time Events? If so, they did provide some hilarious moments in RE5. I was playing with a buddy, and in the plane with Wesker is a series of QTE's. I didn't realize it was my turn to hit the button, and he somersaulted over me and snapped my neck as he passed. We both had a good laugh over that.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
To me, that's how you should review a game. These are the things we didn't like about it. Then say what their opinion would be if they are a fan of the series. I think those are the best reviews. It's how I try to approach things. I didn't care for it, but someone that likes that stuff probably would.

One more week until XCOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If there was ever a game to get me into strategy games, this will be it.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:15 PM

I will add, I think it sucks that XCOM and Dishonored are going head to head next week. Both games look amazing, but I just don't have the money to get both (RE6 we're getting because I can play with my wife). So, I chose the one with a theme I love (1950's sci-fi) and was a different genre than I'm used to. I will pickup Dishonored at some point, but my backlog is already too big.

Also, I'm getting both RE6 and XCOM for $48 from NewEgg.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:50 PM
CAS

are teh PC versions ports from console? have you guys played any of the PC versions of RE? i'm on a PC, no consoles
Old 10-02-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
are teh PC versions ports from console? have you guys played any of the PC versions of RE? i'm on a PC, no consoles
I don't know, so I would check two places:
A) Wiki
B) Steam
Old 10-03-2012, 11:37 AM

I came across this and thought I would share. It's a game called Tokyo Jungle that's downloadable on PSN. I'm going to have to get it.

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-...ungle/17-6591/
Old 10-03-2012, 01:22 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Batch Brewing

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard of Awe View Post
I came across this and thought I would share. It's a game called Tokyo Jungle that's downloadable on PSN. I'm going to have to get it.

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-...ungle/17-6591/
I'm kind of interested in weird Japanese games, so I might be in, too (after the exam..). Patrick gave it a pretty good review.

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, real analysis = real men, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one