Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 06-16-2015, 01:44 AM
SOA

College: University of Kansas Alumni
Default Entry Level Interview Group Life/Disability advice/current happenings?

I have an interview coming up next Wednesday with a local company. I knew of them previously through actuarial career fairs and this time using the SOA explorer I went ahead and checked their job postings again since they are local. I applied for an entry-level position, it will be my first experience as an actuary assuming I get the job.

What I need is advice on group life/disability since that was mentioned as the specifics of the duties. More specifically, are there industry trends or happenings that would be great to touch as topics of either further inquiry such as "how are you handling ...x, y, z when it comes to <insert industry trend here>?"

A little about my background: I am currently, and have been for over two years, programming for clinical trials for my grandfather who is a biostatistician. I have two exams, 8 and 6 on the P and FM respectively. 6 clearly hurts, but the 8 probably makes up for it. That and I took the FM first since it follows the actuarial science course I took for my math degree. Another problem for me is my overall GPA. I have a 3.16 overall cumulative with my transfer credits, but where my degree is from, I have a 3.64. Clearly my community college is hurting me, but I was young and off track at the time and didn't really concern myself with my grades since my father kept telling me "even the pre-med student with all C's gets called doctor at the end."

Any help advice, further questions are certainly welcome. Thanks in advance!

-- EC --
Old 06-16-2015, 06:58 AM
CAS

You have an interview. Which means the company thinks if the interview goes well, they'll hire you, and they already know your GPA and exam status and community college. So don't worry about those right now.

Side note, no one cares about exam scores if you pass. You don't need to list on your resume. A 6 is perfectly acceptable.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:36 AM
SOA

College: University of Kansas Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllj View Post
You have an interview. Which means the company thinks if the interview goes well, they'll hire you, and they already know your GPA and exam status and community college. So don't worry about those right now.

Side note, no one cares about exam scores if you pass. You don't need to list on your resume. A 6 is perfectly acceptable.

They know about my overall GPA, and the fact that I did well at the university level. I don't list my community college on my resume, it's not flattering and I didn't get a degree and it's wasted space.

As far as my exams I don't list it ever, but recently I have had a few interviewers ask me my exam scores. Ever since the first time I do say it with more confidence. Sometimes they ask why I think I didn't do so well on the FM exam. Which, honestly it was a matter of a lack of ideal preparation. The course I took was not sufficient, I finished the material a week before my first try. My very next try I passed with a 6 just before the end of summer.

They also don't know about my community college because it's a situation where I'm bringing in the application. I sent a cover letter and resume old-fashioned style. They called hours later and sent me an email with a formal application. They're in for a whole list of restaurants I worked at with managers that certainly don't work there any longer. I went back to college and finished my degree after I left a management role at a restaurant and here we are.

-- EC --

Tags
group, happenings, interview, life