Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 03-01-2019, 08:09 AM
SOA

College: 1st year
Default Actuarial Work Experience - Student

I am a student currently pursuing a degree in BSc degree in Actuarial Science in the UK. I am in my first year of and upon a successful completion of my degree will be exempted from the CT series accredited by the IFoA. I have a gap of roughly 4 months due to my summer break and am looking for guidance with regards to gaining some work experience, preferably in the field of Actuarial Science. If not, something in the field of Finance. I am aware of the fact that they do not really offer internships to year 1 students.

Last edited by mihirag; 03-01-2019 at 08:33 AM..
Old 03-01-2019, 11:48 AM

Where are you looking for an internship: US? UK? Elsewhere? This is primarily a US forum, although some questions and responses are applicable everywhere.

If you are an overseas student, do you have a relevant working visa - for both now and when you graduate - or do you need some form of sponsorship? Internships are often a way of both sides testing out possible long-term employment, and employers will be more wary if you can't work there after you graduate.

Does your college have any relevant contacts, careers fairs etc?

How many actuarial internships have you already applied for? A quick internet search suggests there are a few currently being advertised.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:36 PM

Favorite beer: the closest one

You're right, it's much more common for the summer students to be about to start their final year when they join. But it's not unheard of. So apply to any company you can find - whether they are advertising or not. Especially with smaller companies who won't be as fixed in their rules.

Beyond that, any experience in something tangentially related to actuarial will be of some use. I spent a summer doing data entry work for the customer services department of a life insurer. To this day, I have no idea what the numbers I was inputting meant, but it stood out enough to help get me a role in an actuarial department the next year...
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the North View Post
Excel gave me #VALUE.

Edit: Nevermind, I was linking a sumif and didn't open the linked spreadsheet. It is now giving me #N/A.

Tags
employment, internships, student, united kingdom, work experience