Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > Health and Fitness Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 08-10-2019, 08:41 PM
SOA

Studying for Nothing
College: Georgia State University - Alumni
Default Strength routine needed

I just completed a triathlon and I managed to do a great job of completing the few strength routines my coach included over the course of my training. I'm usually bad about being consistent with incorporating strength into my training program so I want to do better. I'm now only training for 2-3 upcoming half marathons and want to add in a good strength routine. I have all kinds of exercises to target the various muscle groups saved but it's more of a go to the gym and eenie, meenie, miney, mo. Do you have a set routine you use? I wanna tone things up to help with my running (I already took 2.5 minutes off my pace since Jan 2018) and my swimming (I'm slow af in the water and stronger arms will hopefully help). Gimme what you've got.
Old 08-11-2019, 02:39 AM
SOA

Have you ever looked into Stronglifts, or the similar Starting Strength? A number of folks on the forum have had good results with those. You don't have to learn a lot of different lifts, and it's surprisingly effective.

My own experience was that I always plateaued early with weight machines. But after doing Stronglifts for several months, I was able to go well past my best performance on machines. Whereas I previously could only do about half the stack of weight in the leg press machine, after some time on Stronglifts, I was able to do the maximum weight on the same machine.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:15 AM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: the one you're buying me

You might be better served in a forum that specializes is triathlons.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:46 AM
SOA

Studying for Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
You might be better served in a forum that specializes is triathlons.
I'm not looking for any triathlon-specific strength training. I had that with my coach. I'm now looking for stand alone strength routines and I can always adjust as necessary when I go back to tri training.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:46 AM
SOA

Studying for Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
Have you ever looked into Stronglifts, or the similar Starting Strength? A number of folks on the forum have had good results with those. You don't have to learn a lot of different lifts, and it's surprisingly effective.

My own experience was that I always plateaued early with weight machines. But after doing Stronglifts for several months, I was able to go well past my best performance on machines. Whereas I previously could only do about half the stack of weight in the leg press machine, after some time on Stronglifts, I was able to do the maximum weight on the same machine.
I have not. I'll take a look. Thanks for the info!
Old 08-12-2019, 10:13 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
I'm not looking for any triathlon-specific strength training. I had that with my coach. I'm now looking for stand alone strength routines and I can always adjust as necessary when I go back to tri training.
i think the point is that you could get advice there that would be most complementary to what appears to be your primary athletic effort, running.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:23 AM
SOA

Studying for Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
i think the point is that you could get advice there that would be most complementary to what appears to be your primary athletic effort, running.
Tri and running boards are full of elitist *******s so I avoid them. Pretty much any routine will work because it can be adjusted to my specific goals I just suck at putting all the exercises together - like knowing which exercises to super set and such. If someone has one that isn't totally about bulking up, that'd be even better, which is why I included my goals in my original request.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:27 AM
SOA

Studying for the hell of it...
College: AASU
Favorite beer: This one...

Agree that Stronglifts is an accessible and straightforward way to get into strength training, and the mobile app makes it easy to keep track of progress and what's next.

Also agree that you may want to at least mention which routines you are contemplating to your triathlon coach just to make sure the exercises won't be detrimental to your future marathon/triathlon goals. It probably won't matter much at first, but he(she?) may have some advice on what your strength goals should be for 6/12/18 months from now, and will probably have some valuable advice as to how many weeks before a race you should stop or reduce your strength training regimen in order to be at peak performance.

Good luck!
Old 08-12-2019, 10:30 AM

The main 2 guys on the barbell medicine team are medical doctors, experienced stength coaches (they coach elite strength athletes), and elite powerlifters themselves. They used to be Starting Strength coaches but voluntarily gave up their certifications because they have brains and rippetoe is an idiot.

Here is a free beginner program to get you used to their programming style.

https://www.barbellmedicine.com/blog...-prescription/

A couple of recent articles regarding strength training for endurance athletes.

https://www.barbellmedicine.com/blog...d-injury-risk/
https://www.barbellmedicine.com/blog...ance-training/
Old 08-12-2019, 10:35 AM
SOA

Studying for Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyalDragon View Post
Agree that Stronglifts is an accessible and straightforward way to get into strength training, and the mobile app makes it easy to keep track of progress and what's next.

Also agree that you may want to at least mention which routines you are contemplating to your triathlon coach just to make sure the exercises won't be detrimental to your future marathon/triathlon goals. It probably won't matter much at first, but he(she?) may have some advice on what your strength goals should be for 6/12/18 months from now, and will probably have some valuable advice as to how many weeks before a race you should stop or reduce your strength training regimen in order to be at peak performance.

Good luck!
I only got a coach for this tri so she's not working with me beyond that. I have not decided on my tri goals for next year but I work on my running on my own.

My dilemma is that I know how to incorporate various workouts into a training plan (like when to taper off or how to arrange my workout days) but I just really suck at putting together a specific routine. For example I know what days I should do my lower body workout in relation to my running workouts and I know when I should go at it vs easing off. I just am crappy at putting together a whole routine for that day as opposed to wandering around the gym saying "Maybe I'll do some squats. Okay, let's do some lunges. How about this??" It's complete chaos when I try to put together my own strength program!