Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > TV Shows, Movies, Books, etc
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Old 08-14-2019, 11:00 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Frostop Root

Rio Bravo - John Wayne, Ricky Nelson, Angie Dickinson
Old 08-15-2019, 11:19 AM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Scotch

have not posted in quite a while

Tell It to the Marines (1926) Excellent silent comedy with Lon Chaney as Sgt Hulka (sort of)

Zouzou (1934) Soapy vehicle for Josephine Baker. She's cute but it is so uneven

On Borrowed Time (1939) Death takes a holiday fantasy, that I found ultimately disturbing

Whistling in the Dark (1941) Minor remake, using a Criminal radio host to set up a murder

Once Upon a Honeymoon (1942) Nazi era comedy that works well. One of the few not Jewish themed to bring up the Jewish issues

Du Barry Was a Lady (1943)All you need to know is this is a musical where Red Buttons has more numbers than Gene Kelly

Princess O'Rourke (1943)Rich girl falling in love with the commoner. Nothing new, but very well done and the comedy was not too broad and some of the personal relationships between the characters was really great

The Fallen Sparrow (1943)Decent Nazi spy drama

Two Girls and a Sailor (1944)Hollywood canteen was a plotless WWII movie to feature actors and actresses and support the troops. This is less obvious, but feels like the same thing, but more musically based

The Uninvited (1944)Very early and well done haunted house story. Might be the first non-comedy ghost story

Our Vines Have Tender Grapes (1945)Nice family movie for a young girl coming aware of the world

Ziegfeld Follies (1945)Basically a retrospective on the acts. Hit & miss

The Foxes of Harrow (1947)Soapy tale of rags to riches, but loving & losing

Words and Music (1948)Fictionalized version of Rodgers and Hart. OK, needed to feature the music more and basically substituted shortness for being gay

The Pirate (1948)Pretty good musical with Kelly & Garland

The Toast of New Orleans (1950)For me, overly operatic musical with not enough plot

The People Against O'Hara (1951)Well done courtroom drama, but could have done so much more with alcoholism

Affair in Trinidad (1952)Good murder mystery. I am in love with Rita Hayworth

La Pointe-Courte (1955)Basically filming a fishing village and adding a love story became a movie. Well made, but too slow

Bhowani Junction (1956)Not bad on the Indian fight for independence, centering on the half caste

Don't Go Near the Water (1957)Overly broad navy comedy

Devi (1960)Young woman deemed a Goddess by her father in law and she unfortunately starts to believe she is

The Facts of Life (1960)Hope/Ball comedy that is more controlled than you would think

Back Street (1961)Up and coming designer and rich marine, have their paths cross more than makes sense.

Otoshiana (Pitfall) (1962) another depressing film by Teshigahara, as you see a crime investigated though the eyes of the victims ghosts

Susuz Yaz (Dry Summer) (1963)Turkish film about the farmer who controls the water looking to ration the other farmers. Obvious results, but well done

Fate Is the Hunter (1964) ok, film investigating the cause of a airline crash. A bit overdone

Uchû daikaijû Girara (The X From Outer Space) (1967)Campy Japanese Sci-Fi with astonauts who are too unbelievable in every aspect

Countdown (1967)Caan & Duval in a fairly realistic trip to moon disaster, that is too slow.

Quatermass and the Pit (1967)Alien creatures found, but all the scientist, archaeologists seemed to have no clue how to behave and not sure what expertise the title character brings despite this being part of a series

Accident (1967)Way too 60's, affairs and flashbacks and I stopped caring

Marooned (1969)Really great cast wasted in another story of a moon trip disaster, that also fails to build tension

The Bed Sitting Room (1969)Overly weird British comedy, that just did not work for me

The Sugarland Express (1974)Early Spielberg cop chase story, that worked for me. Based on a true story, but bordering on the absurd

Höstsonaten (Autumn Sonata) (1978)Bergman & Bergman of mother & daughter hashing out issue.

La chambre verte (The Green Room) (1978)French filmed centered on a man obsessed with death. Dragged for me

Les rendez-vous d'Anna (1978)Travelling movie director is a bit of a slut. Not sure what else to take from it. The dialogue was stiff and unrealistic

Alone in the Dark (1982)Edgy film about mental patients escaping a hospital and terrorizing their doctor. A bit over the top, but good cast

For All Mankind (1989)Moon Landings documentary.

Cadillac Man (1990)Good cast, but could have been better movie, Robin Williams felt constrained. Pretty sureI have seen parts of this before

The Man Who Knew Too Little (1997)Bill Murray is a one joke comedy that holds on to the premise way too long

Halloween H20: 20 Years Later (1998)Actually not bad if you are into this sort of thing

Velvet Goldmine (1998)Another, what happened to "this musician" movie, that was ok, but dragged for me.

The Mother (2003)Odd British film about a woman's 70 yo mother having an affair with her married lover (Daniel Craig). Somehow better than it sounds

George Harrison: Living in the Material World (2011)Documentary, good, but overly long and meanders a bit. Just because you have footage of something, you need to know where to cut

Barfi! (2012)Bollywood love story centered on a deaf & dumb person, that seems to feel more self important than it is. The main character was just too annoying, trying to be funny

Pixels (2015)this sucked. I think there are things in Sandlers head he thinks are hysterical, that should remain in his head

Assassin's Creed (2016)this sucked. I don't know the game, this didn't explain it well and I didn't care

Independence Day: Resurgence (2016)this sucked. As a sequel it relied on remember all the character development from 15 years ago. It lost all the relationships and light comedy that worked in the first one. And way too much coincidence putting so many characters together again. As a sci-fi standalone, just too many plot holes, I didn't care about the characters and no developed suspense, just formulaic. and worse, the implication of another one
Old 08-16-2019, 12:25 PM
SOA

Studying for Nothing
College: Georgia State University - Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
Independence Day: Resurgence (2016)this sucked. As a sequel it relied on remember all the character development from 15 years ago. It lost all the relationships and light comedy that worked in the first one. And way too much coincidence putting so many characters together again. As a sci-fi standalone, just too many plot holes, I didn't care about the characters and no developed suspense, just formulaic. and worse, the implication of another one
I'm a sucker for disaster/save-the-world movies. No matter how bad. This one was even too bad for me. I don't even recall if I finished this.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:44 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

That reminds me: I'm generally a sucker for bad movies (as long as I'm entertained, and I'm easily entertained). They make me laugh, usually.

Terror at Blood Fart Lake is awful, and not in a good way. The opening 5 minutes or so are amusing, but once (spoiler alert) Hambone is killed by the movie's monster, it goes downhill from there.

On the other hand, Day of the Animals (1977), with Leslie Neilsen as a bad guy, is hilariously bad. Both the regular version:
https://amzn.to/2HaQaaR

and RiffTrax version:
https://amzn.to/2KAToqk

are on Prime.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 08-16-2019, 03:42 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: A & W Root

Daylight - Sylvester Stallone
Old 08-16-2019, 03:44 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Scotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxActuaryxxx View Post
Bone Tomahawk - not too bad. Modern westerns have been my thing lately...
wife walked out of the room on that one
Old 08-16-2019, 07:51 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Hires Root

Volcano - Tommy Lee Jones, Anne Heche
Old 08-17-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Hilts View Post
Solaris (1972)
Russian, with subtitles

I may be struck down for saying this, but I enjoyed it much more than 2001.
I have not seen the George Clooney remake.

Warning, this is a long film.
I watched Solaris 2 weeks ago. I liked it so much I watched it again a few days later to look for things I may have missed. Awesome movie.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:54 PM
AAA

I love bad movies. Especially bad horror movies. We should start a movie club (like a book club) where we watch bad movies and discuss them...
Old 08-17-2019, 11:55 PM
AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
wife walked out of the room on that one
Why? Was it the meal preparation scene?