Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 04-03-2020, 05:44 PM
SOA

Studying for FAP
College: USC
Favorite beer: Vodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Timer View Post
I understand that exams are a critical part of the actuarial student's life and career. Given the current level of uncertainty with various SOA/CAS pronouncements, if you are a student, what specifically would you like the SOA/CAS to say to you today? There is a lot of negativity around what has been said so far, so let's get some ideas around what you want them to be doing. Feel free to reflect the current state of unknowns or not, your choice. Maybe we can get some really good ideas out of this that might inform the SOA/CAS positions.
I think most of the people complaining about this situation are just simply upset about the fact that their exam progress was pushed back and now they have to wait longer before getting an ASA/ACAS or FSA/FCAS. It then gets blown up about how this part is the end of the world with their work, progress, etc. Simply put, a very 1st world problem.

Assuming the exams do happen to go through in July, a student can start studying for the next exam at the end of October with 3 and half months time. Results come in mid September. If they pass, great, keep studying for the exam they already have two months into. If they didn't pass, pause the subscription/studying and focus on the failed exam in the remaining 6 weeks. Given they should have known a lot of the material by having sat in July, it is doable to refocus and practice in that time.

This obviously means less free time, but if you really have to get those exams done, and it is such a huge inconvenience to miss a sitting, it can be done at the sacrifice of some free time. There are also modules that can be worked on (I only know on the SOA side, don't know about CAS) if a sitting in October is not doable.

Lastly, if the company is so rigid on the student exam policy that it won't allow a student to study for the next one, or work on other things until results come, and is not being flexible with the progress requirement during the pandemic, I would really focus more on evaluating if you want to stay with such a company rather then about missing a sitting.

Last edited by Rankik; 04-03-2020 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: type
Old 04-04-2020, 01:24 PM
SOA

Studying for SRM
College: Columbia University Alumni

I'm scheduled to sit for the May 8-14 CBT SRM, which I believe is the first exam scheduled outside the current SOA delay window. The uncertainty of the SOA plans on top of the shelter-in-place orders is making studying very difficult. While some find themselves with more time due to the quarantine, I have less, despite working from home. With three young kids running around and unable to create a quiet study place (like a library or cafe, or even the office after hours)...

I've emailed the SOA a couple of times and their response has basically been a non-response. A snippet from my last email and their canned and unhelpful response.

Quote:
Will this also be extended to exams currently not postponed but are scheduled for May? The uncertainty of whether or not my exam will remain as scheduled or delayed is unfair. I am particularly bothered by the complete lack of guidance of how the SOA will address exams in May, given that the pandemic is not expected to resolve in the near future.
Quote:
Thank you for your inquiry regarding the Exams. We understand that this situation has impacted many on their pathway, as it has also taken the SOA by surprise as the COVID-19 pandemic is not within our control. At this time, the SOA is doing the best to navigate between the safety of all parties involved and our ability to continue to provide every service we offer as an organization. With that said if all is well the exam should be as planned if any changes arise we will be sure to pass them on to our candidates.
From my reading of their updates, while candidates who have been rescheduled for July may be further rescheduled if the quarantine extends to July, there has been absolutely no guidance on any of the exams in May-July that haven't already been postponed.

This is nuts.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:48 PM
Defending the AO since 2007
SOA AAA

Studying for GHDP-A
College: Hard Knox U.
Default SOA and COVID-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Timer View Post
I understand that exams are a critical part of the actuarial student's life and career. Given the current level of uncertainty with various SOA/CAS pronouncements, if you are a student, what specifically would you like the SOA/CAS to say to you today? There is a lot of negativity around what has been said so far, so let's get some ideas around what you want them to be doing. Feel free to reflect the current state of unknowns or not, your choice. Maybe we can get some really good ideas out of this that might inform the SOA/CAS positions.

Given the global level of uncertainty, work/social/family upsets, plus the wave of grief that is going to set in once the deaths really start to pile up, I think the wisest thing would be for the SOA to hit the pause button. They should just take the exam schedule and push it back a year, i.e. suspend all remaining 2020 exams. They can reevaluate in the Spring/Winter as to what they will do for 2021.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statatak View Post
I'm not the sharpest tool on the AO, but I'm comforted by the idea that no matter how vapid and incoherent my arguments are that there may be a kernel of truth buried somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pac Shakur View Post
i am broken and incapable of thought and a bunch of other stuff
Old 04-04-2020, 11:42 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud View Post
Let's presume the SOA's new timeline for Spring exams holds and you're a candidate for whom the choice of Fall exam depends on how you do on the Spring exam.

You get 10 days from the time you find out your result to register for the appropriate Fall exam. OK, not much time but really if you're sitting you shouldn't need 10 days to figure it out.

You also have no more than 6 weeks from the time you find out your result to know which exam you're definitely taking and to adequately study for it. Like cramming? No? Tough luck, people - get ready for Cramarathon '20!

Also, there's this snippet in the release:

How could anything possibly go wrong?
oh gosh i didnt see that snippet!!! what could go wrong?

FSA Modules: SI FE ERM
FSA Exams: RPIRM RETFRC
Old 04-04-2020, 11:46 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
Given the global level of uncertainty, work/social/family upsets, plus the wave of grief that is going to set in once the deaths really start to pile up, I think the wisest thing would be for the SOA to hit the pause button. They should just take the exam schedule and push it back a year, i.e. suspend all remaining 2020 exams. They can reevaluate in the Spring/Winter as to what they will do for 2021.
i think the least they can do is cancel the spring exams (ie. cancel the july exams) and then wait and see for the fall exam.

i know i was on track to write in april and am disappointed to not write but there are much bigger things going on. i'm leaning towards just getting a refund and rewriting in fall due to everything you said above

FSA Modules: SI FE ERM
FSA Exams: RPIRM RETFRC
Old 04-06-2020, 10:58 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

video from SOA President

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKbK...ature=youtu.be

LinkedIn Profile
Old 04-07-2020, 02:46 PM
CAS

CAS has cancelled spring exams.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:22 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMBNYC View Post
CAS has cancelled spring exams.
https://www.casact.org/press/index.c...articleID=4675
Old 04-07-2020, 04:47 PM
Defending the AO since 2007
SOA AAA

Studying for GHDP-A
College: Hard Knox U.

SOA, please take note. The CAS is showing us up again using common sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statatak View Post
I'm not the sharpest tool on the AO, but I'm comforted by the idea that no matter how vapid and incoherent my arguments are that there may be a kernel of truth buried somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pac Shakur View Post
i am broken and incapable of thought and a bunch of other stuff
Old 04-07-2020, 04:50 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
SOA, please take note. The CAS is showing us up again using common sense.
Unfair advantage, IMO.