Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:17 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout
Default SOA Annual Meeting: Virtual Sessions

I just noticed these:
http://soa.org/professional-developm...l/default.aspx

Quote:
This is a webinar that will allow you to see the session live as it takes place in Boston and ask questions of the speakers. Video, audio and the PowerPoint slides will be streamed through your computer while the session is taking place on site. The session will also be interactive by providing you with the capability of e-mailing your questions into the session. All that is required is a computer with sound card and Internet access. No other equipment is necessary.

On or before Oct. 22, you will be sent detailed instructions via a broadcast e-mail including the Web address for accessing the program. You will follow along with a video and graphics presentation broadcast via the Internet. The registration fee includes: one Internet connection and access to the presentation materials. Please copy and distribute the handout materials to all attendees at your site.
Others:

I hope I can find out which sessions actual get virtual registrants, because I would like to attend one of these sessions to see how it works out. I think this is a very good idea, especially considering travel limits people may have. Could be an excellent way to support the annual meeting, even for those who can't get there in person.

Anybody here on the AO going to be attending the annual meeting virtually?

LinkedIn Profile
Old 10-04-2009, 03:59 PM

Studying for nication

I think I'm going to end up doing one or two, I really like the concept, anything that makes it easier to get structured credits is appreciated!

Do you think that replay's of the virtual sessions will be available? The regular webcasts always are, but these seem somewhat different in structure.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:25 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfasdf View Post
Do you think that replay's of the virtual sessions will be available? The regular webcasts always are, but these seem somewhat different in structure.
That's a good question.

They do give this info:
http://soa.org/professional-developm.../purchase.aspx

Quote:
Post–Event Purchase Opportunity

For those who are interested in the virtual session, but are unable to participate in the live event, a recording of the live session will be available for purchase approximately three–to–five business days following the event (at the same pricing as the live broadcast), by using this purchase form.
I assume that unlike the audio-only recording, they'll have the video or at least the synced slides.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 10-05-2009, 10:00 AM
SOA AAA

I attended two of these for the Val Act. The technology is weak IMO. We could barely hear the speakers (the sound kept cutting in and out and accents were very hard to decipher in this medium). Also, one guy used a laser pointer which we was pointed off camera. I like the idea, but I think the technology is maybe a year away.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:11 AM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for whatever I feel like
College: Alumnus of Brown and UW-Madison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Timer View Post
I attended two of these for the Val Act. The technology is weak IMO. We could barely hear the speakers (the sound kept cutting in and out and accents were very hard to decipher in this medium). Also, one guy used a laser pointer which we was pointed off camera. I like the idea, but I think the technology is maybe a year away.
I am almost totally deaf nowadays, so I definitely would have been lost. Does SOA (or CAS!) have any video that is captioned?

Spoiler:
Obama sucks and we all know it-TDA

Spoiler:

That's been the funniest subplot of this whole thing, the people on the left attacking this bill for not being even more of a steaming pile. - erosewater
Old 10-05-2009, 01:29 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Timer View Post
No, there is plenty of feasible technology out there right now. Most of the time organizations just use dated equipment/software.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:43 PM

Or it could be that some people just don't know how or don't like to speak in to a microphone.

It amazes me how often the microphone works just fine if the person will just use it as it is intended to be used but instead either sets it up so they are speaking contiously away from it or so directly into it as to distort the sound it picks up.

Someone with a little experience with microphones should set up the mikes and help these people so that the sound quality is acceptable.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:07 PM

Perhaps they might have improved since then.
I am interested in checking it out...but will be fairly busy this time around and since I'm still sitting for exams, CE credits aren't my biggest concern.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:40 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dining Philosopher View Post
Perhaps they might have improved since then.
I am interested in checking it out...but will be fairly busy this time around and since I'm still sitting for exams, CE credits aren't my biggest concern.
Well, it will have been a month, so we can hope.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:00 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for C4
College: Chambana
Favorite beer: Whatever you buy me

I did some of the Val Act like this. It's easier to not pay attention.

Tags
annual meeting, soa, webinar