Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Modules 6-8
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 06-19-2011, 01:11 AM
SOA

Studying for NOTHING!
Favorite beer: Does Redbull count?
Default What would the graders do?

Does anyone know the mystery of the grading process:

If one of my tasks was pretty bad, but the other ones were wonderful, would they fail me?

I'm just really nervous about task 6, because I feel like I was really really brief (based on the directions). But now, I feel like I should have given more detail. Would they fail me if the other tasks were really good? (yes, I am freaking out)
Old 06-19-2011, 11:00 AM

There's no telling. I'm not even sure if they are on the pt system (like if you get max pt on Task 2 but only 10 pts on task 3 but overall you have higher than x pts then they pass you), or they do it as if task 3, you need to have at least 40% of the point. When did you submit? Maybe you'll find out soon
Old 06-19-2011, 05:13 PM
SOA

Studying for NOTHING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapebaby View Post
There's no telling. I'm not even sure if they are on the pt system (like if you get max pt on Task 2 but only 10 pts on task 3 but overall you have higher than x pts then they pass you), or they do it as if task 3, you need to have at least 40% of the point. When did you submit? Maybe you'll find out soon
6/13
Old 06-19-2011, 05:25 PM
SOA

Studying for FAP Modules
College: University of Connecticut
Favorite beer: All the beer

Well I'm not a grader but I think they give you 2 items that need the most work if they give you a failing result...If you had wonderful answers for all but one of the questions they won't be able to give you the two items. Just sayin'

On that note, I just finished the first 6 of 7 tasks for my FA but I'll probably come up with an answer for the last one just in case

I'm sure you'll do fine, the purpose of task 6 was to be brief so that has to be one of the main components of the grading rubric for that question.
  • DMAC
  • FAC
Old 06-19-2011, 06:15 PM

You think there is a method? I would say- Don't worry, your task 6 answer will have no bearing on the coin flip.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:49 PM
SOA

Studying for NOTHING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Calculadora View Post
You think there is a method? I would say- Don't worry, your task 6 answer will have no bearing on the coin flip.
Thanks for the encouragement guys. I just felt like if my task 6 actually had the details from tasks 2-5, then it wouldn't be brief. So, I just basically said that I found the average cash value and did some sensitivity testing and hedging. I didn't actually talk about CTE, which I probably should have (I just felt like the Can-Do miners wouldn't understand it anyway). haha I guess if I do have to re-do it, and it's task (1 and 6) or (6 and 7), I won't have much extra work to do....this grading process makes me so nervous I want to ...

Tags
can-do, task 6