Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions



General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-15-2013, 10:30 PM
alwaysseamus alwaysseamus is offline
Member
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
College: Clemson University
Posts: 276
Default What's the recipe for FM/2?

Hi, for P/1, I did the SOA 153, did problems from Sheldon Ross' book, and signed up for ADAPT.

What is the standard course of study for this exam? I downloaded the book from ark tech that is available here http://faculty.atu.edu/mfinan/npub.html. Is this book adequate? For soa exams, I am seeing the first available is from May 2005. Are there any others scattered about the internet?

Thank you for any assistance.

Seamus

I see there are some practice tests available here: http://www.actuarialbrew.com/5.html

Last edited by alwaysseamus; 11-15-2013 at 10:38 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-15-2013, 10:47 PM
dukelampard's Avatar
dukelampard dukelampard is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Studying for FCAS
Posts: 12,076
Default

FM is the easiest actuarial exam. The source material + sample SoA problems will do. Also, this is the wrong section of the forum for this question.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-15-2013, 10:54 PM
Colonel Smoothie's Avatar
Colonel Smoothie Colonel Smoothie is online now
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale
Posts: 50,464
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysseamus View Post
Hi, for P/1, I did the SOA 153, did problems from Sheldon Ross' book, and signed up for ADAPT.

What is the standard course of study for this exam? I downloaded the book from ark tech that is available here http://faculty.atu.edu/mfinan/npub.html. Is this book adequate? For soa exams, I am seeing the first available is from May 2005. Are there any others scattered about the internet?

Thank you for any assistance.

Seamus

I see there are some practice tests available here: http://www.actuarialbrew.com/5.html
If you passed P comfortably then the same strategy ought to work. Read one of the syllabus textbooks, do the problems, etc.
__________________
Recommended Readings for the EL Actuary || Recommended Readings for the EB Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-15-2013, 11:16 PM
alwaysseamus alwaysseamus is offline
Member
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
College: Clemson University
Posts: 276
Default

I passed exam p my first time, but I wouldn't say comfortably. I struggled with the time constraint, and I'm surprised I passed.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-15-2013, 11:53 PM
Colonel Smoothie's Avatar
Colonel Smoothie Colonel Smoothie is online now
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale
Posts: 50,464
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysseamus View Post
I passed exam p my first time, but I wouldn't say comfortably. I struggled with the time constraint, and I'm surprised I passed.
If that's the case you probably need to study harder/more diligently because the 3 higher prelims are harder. I'd say redo problems that take a long time for you to do.

For example if it took you 10 minutes to do one problem, try to do it in 5 minutes the 2nd time, and then 3 minutes the 3rd time.
__________________
Recommended Readings for the EL Actuary || Recommended Readings for the EB Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-16-2013, 01:35 AM
nonlnear nonlnear is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 32,070
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
If that's the case you probably need to study harder/more diligently because the 3 higher prelims are harder. I'd say redo problems that take a long time for you to do.

For example if it took you 10 minutes to do one problem, try to do it in 5 minutes the 2nd time, and then 3 minutes the 3rd time.
In case it wasn't clear to alwaysseamus from what you said here, taking a solution from 10 minutes to 3 minutes is probably a matter of understanding the underlying material better, rather than just practicing execution. Shave 10-20% of your time off, sure, just drill it. To shave >50% of your time off, you probably need to learn better tools.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.21636 seconds with 11 queries