Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:30 PM
CAS SOA

College: Clemson University
Default What's the recipe for FM/2?

Hi, for P/1, I did the SOA 153, did problems from Sheldon Ross' book, and signed up for ADAPT.

What is the standard course of study for this exam? I downloaded the book from ark tech that is available here http://faculty.atu.edu/mfinan/npub.html. Is this book adequate? For soa exams, I am seeing the first available is from May 2005. Are there any others scattered about the internet?

Thank you for any assistance.

Seamus

I see there are some practice tests available here: http://www.actuarialbrew.com/5.html

Last edited by alwaysseamus; 11-15-2013 at 10:38 PM..
Old 11-15-2013, 10:47 PM
CAS

Studying for FCAS

FM is the easiest actuarial exam. The source material + sample SoA problems will do. Also, this is the wrong section of the forum for this question.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:54 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysseamus View Post
Hi, for P/1, I did the SOA 153, did problems from Sheldon Ross' book, and signed up for ADAPT.

What is the standard course of study for this exam? I downloaded the book from ark tech that is available here http://faculty.atu.edu/mfinan/npub.html. Is this book adequate? For soa exams, I am seeing the first available is from May 2005. Are there any others scattered about the internet?

Thank you for any assistance.

Seamus

I see there are some practice tests available here: http://www.actuarialbrew.com/5.html
If you passed P comfortably then the same strategy ought to work. Read one of the syllabus textbooks, do the problems, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:16 PM
CAS SOA

College: Clemson University

I passed exam p my first time, but I wouldn't say comfortably. I struggled with the time constraint, and I'm surprised I passed.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:53 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysseamus View Post
I passed exam p my first time, but I wouldn't say comfortably. I struggled with the time constraint, and I'm surprised I passed.
If that's the case you probably need to study harder/more diligently because the 3 higher prelims are harder. I'd say redo problems that take a long time for you to do.

For example if it took you 10 minutes to do one problem, try to do it in 5 minutes the 2nd time, and then 3 minutes the 3rd time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:35 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
If that's the case you probably need to study harder/more diligently because the 3 higher prelims are harder. I'd say redo problems that take a long time for you to do.

For example if it took you 10 minutes to do one problem, try to do it in 5 minutes the 2nd time, and then 3 minutes the 3rd time.
In case it wasn't clear to alwaysseamus from what you said here, taking a solution from 10 minutes to 3 minutes is probably a matter of understanding the underlying material better, rather than just practicing execution. Shave 10-20% of your time off, sure, just drill it. To shave >50% of your time off, you probably need to learn better tools.