Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 07-01-2015, 06:14 PM

Studying for Phoenix MBA
College: DeVry University - Online Lincoln Campus
Favorite beer: Mike's Hard Triple Berry Blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by weepyhollow View Post
Are ambitious and hardworking people not allowed to care about work/life balance? Since when does any human being (especially woman) not care about work/life balance? But in any case, thank you for your helpful input.

I've rarely heard of the actuarial career being referred to as an "easy career," considering how supposedly difficult and highly technical the exams are. But if you want to put it that way, why is it so wrong (for a smart, able person) to want a low-stress, extremely stable job that pays decently well and allows for time for a real social/family life? To me, that's the dream. Not sure about you guys. Not to mention, I've heard of many cases of actuaries moving up the ladder and eventually taking on managerial/more business-y positions (CFO? CRO? How is that not ambitious lol).
Trust me, you can take many career paths that will pay better with just as good of hours without the exam process. Sure it may be easy, but it's still a huge pain in the ass that will take up huge chunks of your time and youth.

Enjoy your life and get further in your career. Don't go actuarial.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:40 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryCreamCoke View Post
Trust me, you can take many career paths that will pay better with just as good of hours without the exam process.
lol can you name some of these? And will they be as stable? In terms of I won't lose my job the second the stock market crashes or the economy experiences another crisis, etc.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:42 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
Are you a woman? And (just curious, not looking for a date) are you single? Do you have an online dating profile that highlights that you like dressing up to party, but also staying in and relaxing?
Yes. It's complicated. No.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:45 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice

Quote:
lol can you name some of these? And will they be as stable? In terms of I won't lose my job the second the stock market crashes or the economy experiences another crisis, etc.
Why would an ambitious person ever need to worry about losing their job in any field?

There are a bunch of low-hanging fruit everywhere. It's amazing the number of people who barely have a pulse and keep their jobs, so there should be little trouble for even someone with a speck of ambition to find another job or not be the one losing their job.

As for the other fields, I would tell you, but as of right now I have one less ambitious person to worry about when moving into those fields myself.

-Riley
Old 07-01-2015, 09:42 PM
SOA

Studying for Nothing!
Favorite beer: Blue Moon Belgian White

Quote:
Accounting and engineering are two that spring to mind right off the bat.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:54 PM
SOA

College: Yep
Favorite beer: Sweetwater Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens Fan View Post
Accounting and engineering are two that spring to mind right off the bat.
The first doesn't pay better.
The second doesn't either unless you're a Petroleum Engineer or working for a very prestigious firm.

Physical violence as acceptable reaction or outdated masculine bravado as a positive quality is definitely not something the country should be moving towards or qualities we want to see in a President.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:05 PM
SOA

Studying for Nothing!
Favorite beer: Blue Moon Belgian White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivamS View Post
The first doesn't pay better.
The second doesn't either unless you're a Petroleum Engineer or working for a very prestigious firm.
We need to keep in mind that salaries are contingent on how far we progress in a given career. The probability of making it to ASA from the day one decides to become an actuary is a lot lower than the probability of making it to CPA from the day one decides to become an accountant.
Old 01-23-2016, 10:17 AM
SOA Non-Actuary

Quote:
Are ambitious and hardworking people not allowed to care about work/life balance? Since when does any human being (especially woman) not care about work/life balance? But in any case, thank you for your helpful input.

I've rarely heard of the actuarial career being referred to as an "easy career," considering how supposedly difficult and highly technical the exams are. But if you want to put it that way, why is it so wrong (for a smart, able person) to want a low-stress, extremely stable job that pays decently well and allows for time for a real social/family life? To me, that's the dream. Not sure about you guys. Not to mention, I've heard of many cases of actuaries moving up the ladder and eventually taking on managerial/more business-y positions (CFO? CRO? How is that not ambitious lol).
Do you go to Wellesley?
Old 01-23-2016, 10:19 AM
SOA Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30pcssilver View Post
The type of people who end up in the C-suite don't usually start talking about work/life balance before they're even in the workforce because their drive and ambition makes their work a major part of their life, not a separate distinct activity.
Can an actuary have the ambition to become the CEO/CFO?
Old 01-23-2016, 10:27 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for FCAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by zchristinay View Post

Can an actuary have the ambition to become the CEO/CFO?
Ambitions are very different from realistic accomplishments. For example, I want to become a dinosaur by undergoing surgery. Will it ever happen? Probably not. Will Colonel Smoothie ever stop people from calling themselves a rising sophomore/junior/senior? Nope.

Has an actuary ever become a CEO? Yes.

Tags
clippers, internship, liberal arts, networking, rising sophomore