Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Individual Life and Annuities Track > Life Pricing Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Life Pricing Exam Old Individual Life & Annuities Design and Pricing Forum

Old 09-30-2015, 08:44 PM
Eddie Smith
SOA

College: UGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresnal View Post
I am in the same boat as you guys. I plan to finish going through the material tomorrow and then on to flash cards and exam practice problems. Does TIA/PAK/Ace does a list of exam questions by topics?
Yes, we provide a spreadsheet that breaks down past exam questions by source, question type and point total at the sub-question level. The spreadsheet covers exams from the early 2000s through present. We also provide video solutions for various past questions, including the most recent LP exam.

Learn how FSA exams are different from the prelims

We have your exam covered:

LPM | LFMU | LFMC | LAM | ERM | QFI Quant | QFI PM | QFI IRM | G&H DP | G&H FV | G&H Sp

Check out our Technical Skills Course and our R Course!

Connect on Twitter, Facebook, & LinkedIn
Old 10-04-2015, 02:59 AM
SOA

Yup! I knew you guys had it in the study manual. Super helpful that you have it in an excel format as well. Makes life easier to filter on a topic and see all relevant past questions on it!

Thanks Eddy and Francis!
Old 10-05-2015, 05:47 PM
SOA

I am looking over previous questions and came across preservation of deaths - this was from LIPF chapter 3 which is not on the syllabus anymore. I know conservation of deaths is from LP107 but can I skip over "preservation of deaths"?
Old 10-05-2015, 07:52 PM
Eddie Smith
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittens View Post
I am looking over previous questions and came across preservation of deaths - this was from LIPF chapter 3 which is not on the syllabus anymore. I know conservation of deaths is from LP107 but can I skip over "preservation of deaths"?
That's correct. PoD was a different method and yields a different residual mortality rate. However, you can usually still solve most old PoD problems using CoD. It just won't match the model solution.

LPM | LFMU | LFMC | LAM | ERM | QFI Quant | QFI PM | QFI IRM | G&H DP | G&H FV | G&H Sp

Old 10-06-2015, 12:12 AM
SOA

Studying for Life

Does anybody else think that it isn't humanly possible to write enough content to produce the model solution for each problem, given 3 minutes per point?
Old 10-07-2015, 01:35 PM

Studying for C

Apparently the model solution is sometimes an educational model solution vs. a 100% of points scoring solution.

I've seen a few where they'll have 10 items in their answer, and say 4 were needed to get full points on that question.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:50 PM
SOA

Studying for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagarach View Post
Apparently the model solution is sometimes an educational model solution vs. a 100% of points scoring solution.

I've seen a few where they'll have 10 items in their answer, and say 4 were needed to get full points on that question.
That makes sense. I also wonder how much detail they need for each item. Some of their items are a few sentences long while others are just one.. and the number of sentences makes a big difference on timing.

For example, explaining dynamic hedging could be between 2 and 10 items long, and each item could be multiple sentences.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:05 PM
Eddie Smith
SOA

Keep in mind that since you don't lose points (only time) for writing superfluous information, model solutions often contain more verbiage than necessary. Also, the model solutions for any given exam are a conglomeration of different people's answers, so it's a mixed sample -- not a paper written by a single person.

Just do your best to write what you can (making sure you answer the question) within the time constraints.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:10 PM
SOA

Question wording is also very important on answer length (Define vs explain vs describe, etc.)

You'll see the full list on the pdf at this page (section 3.5): https://soa.org/Education/General-In...inar-vids.aspx
Old 10-14-2015, 09:56 PM

Studying for C

Two weeks left! It's been very quiet here....I guess everyone is hard at it!

70% through my first pass of the TIA flash cards, aiming to have those done by Friday night, then back to past exams, and a second go at the TIA practice qs.

Tags
exam, fall 2015, ila, life, pricing