Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 07-15-2017, 05:12 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Corona :)
Default How many hours per week of work is your max before it becomes an issue

I have had the misfortune of being promoted and having to work with a few people that are quite frankly lazy.

They seem to enjoy talking about planning this, and planning that, but in the end, work ends up falling through the cracks because they do not gdt stuff done and I end up picking up the slack.(FTR these folks are non-actuarial)

So basically, my normal 40hr/week is becoming 60-65 hrs/week which is not doing wonders for my disposition.

So, what to do?

Keep in mind they are outside my reporting chain so my options are somewhat limited. Thought about simply letting them implode with a bit of egg on their face but my sense of responsibility gets in the way every time.
Old 07-15-2017, 05:20 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas66Kent View Post
I have had the misfortune of being promoted and having to work with a few people that are quite frankly lazy.

They seem to enjoy talking about planning this, and planning that, but in the end, work ends up falling through the cracks because they do not gdt stuff done and I end up picking up the slack.(FTR these folks are non-actuarial)

So basically, my normal 40hr/week is becoming 60-65 hrs/week which is not doing wonders for my disposition.

So, what to do?

Keep in mind they are outside my reporting chain so my options are somewhat limited. Thought about simply letting them implode with a bit of egg on their face but my sense of responsibility gets in the way every time.
How much do the other people at your level work? If they all work 40 hours then you're either not being productive enough or taking on too much work. If the latter, can you push back and say that your team is being overextended?

If they all work 60-65 hours and that's the expectation at the company, I think you'll either need to accept it or go work somewhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 07-15-2017, 05:27 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Corona :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
How much do the other people at your level work? If they all work 40 hours then you're either not being productive enough or taking on too much work. If the latter, can you push back and say that your team is being overextended?

If they all work 60-65 hours and that's the expectation at the company, I think you'll either need to accept it or go work somewhere else.
Usually 45-50 hrs/week

A few key folks left/transferred so we seem to have a short-term resourcing problem which is causing planning problems. Instead of hiring contractors they got some new permanent staff, but they are new and it will be some time before they are productive.

I'm handling this as best I can, but we are definitely over-extended. Been pushing back for a bit, but that hasn't accomplished much.
Old 07-15-2017, 05:42 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas66Kent View Post

So, what to do?

That's a crummy situation.

WRT bold, why are you picking up another team's slack, rather than the manager of their reporting chain? Maybe a word with that person is warranted. Something with finesse, about the implication that you can't finish what you're working on until he and his team do their job. Say it as you depart for the day... on time.

Spoiler:

“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.”

“Don't handicap your children by making their lives easy.”

“There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.”

“A desire not to butt into other people's business is at least eighty percent of all human 'wisdom'...and the other twenty percent isn't very important.”

“Belief gets in the way of learning.”

“The first principle of freedom is the right to go to hell in your own handbasket.”

“Does history record any case in which the majority was right?”

Old 07-15-2017, 10:56 PM
CAS

For me it depends how much I like my job.

If I'm working on grunt work all day, even 45 can be miserable. If I'm doing interesting work, long hours aren't nearly as bad.

If I have to work, I do prefer to put in extra hours at home rather than being stuck in the office though. A 10-11 hour day in the office plus commute sucks but a 7 hour day in the office and then logging on at home at night while watching tv and eating dinner or something to finish things up doesn't bother me as much.

Fortunately I'm in a spot now where I don't have much grunt work and the job is interesting.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:00 PM
Aktüerler Derneği

sounds like a peon problem, I thought you were a baller?
Old 07-15-2017, 11:03 PM
SOA

College: Yep
Favorite beer: Sweetwater Blue

50-55 on a 5 day week is the highest I can get to without losing quality.

As for people who you're describing as "lazy", my answer is "Eh, everyone has different priorities in life".

Physical violence as acceptable reaction or outdated masculine bravado as a positive quality is definitely not something the country should be moving towards or qualities we want to see in a President.

Old 07-16-2017, 01:03 PM
CAS

Have you considered making friends with these people and encouraging them to want to help you get your job done?
Old 07-16-2017, 01:55 PM

Favorite beer: the closest one

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivamS View Post
As for people who you're describing as "lazy", my answer is "Eh, everyone has different priorities in life".

Sounds like standard normal person behaviour to me. Actuaries tend to put in many more hours, because we're weird like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the North View Post
Excel gave me #VALUE.

Edit: Nevermind, I was linking a sumif and didn't open the linked spreadsheet. It is now giving me #N/A.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:30 PM

Favorite beer: the closest one

Jas, is this just teething problems while you learn the role?
What sort of hours was your predecessor putting in? If it's a new role, same question but against expectations when the job was created.
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the North View Post
Excel gave me #VALUE.

Edit: Nevermind, I was linking a sumif and didn't open the linked spreadsheet. It is now giving me #N/A.