Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 03-07-2018, 03:27 PM

Please don't use this thread as an opportunity to show how much sacrifice you had to make to have children.

I think that's what the OP is asking for: What have others experienced being a parent and also taking exams? Were you able to balance everything?
Old 03-07-2018, 04:42 PM
SOA AAA

College: Western Washington, Colorado-Boulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pension.Mathematics View Post
Please don't use this thread as an opportunity to show how much sacrifice you had to make to have children.
Not what I was doing at all. I was responding directly to some advice given (by you).

Anyone who thinks that they should pass an FSA while on parental leave should full well know what they're getting into.
The opinions of Doctor No do not necessarily represent the opinions of mathematicians or consulting actuaries. Facts cited by Doctor No are not necessarily facts. Find me on Twitter: @NorrisDoug. If you send me a LinkedIn invitation, please let me know who you are (unless it's obvious how I know you).
Old 03-07-2018, 04:51 PM
SOA

Studying for Done with exams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Not what I was doing at all. I was responding directly to some advice given (by you).

Anyone who thinks that they should pass an FSA while on parental leave should full well know what they're getting into.
This quote suggests that it isn't that hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micaelagb View Post
I had baby#3 between Course 6 and Course 5. She was born 4 days after (passing!) C6 results came out. So I was pretty pg in May (I've taken exams 8.5 mos pg. and 7 mos pg. It's not a big deal, I don't think. Passed both times.) I had plenty of time to study for C5 after the baby was born (maternity leave! And I had 2 other little ones to look after) and passed that in Nov.

Passing pregnant is definately easier than passing w/ kids (or additional kids, as the case may be).
Old 03-07-2018, 04:53 PM
SOA AAA

College: Western Washington, Colorado-Boulder

That's great that you had a data point. Don't shout down others when they provide additional data.

I'm going to stop participating in the derailment of this thread now.
The opinions of Doctor No do not necessarily represent the opinions of mathematicians or consulting actuaries. Facts cited by Doctor No are not necessarily facts. Find me on Twitter: @NorrisDoug. If you send me a LinkedIn invitation, please let me know who you are (unless it's obvious how I know you).
Old 03-08-2018, 07:52 AM
CAS SOA

College: Clemson University

You've done a lot to get ahead by sacrificing todays for the future. At what point to do you stop and enjoy the fruits of your success?
Old 03-08-2018, 09:37 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysseamus View Post
You've done a lot to get ahead by sacrificing todays for the future. At what point to do you stop and enjoy the fruits of your success?
This is a good point and a large reason why I decided to become an actuary. I figured if I chose a more physically demanding profession, there would never be any time to enjoy what I've earned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:37 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gal Friday View Post
Don't wait. It does not get easier.
whelp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:44 AM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysseamus View Post
When the marginal benefit doesn't exceed the cost. If you plan to spend the next 30 years as an actuary, then stopping at ASA puts a real kink in your likely career path. Dealing with exams for another 5 of those years (or whatever) is a reasonable trade-off for most.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:46 AM
SOA

Studying for Health Foundations

My kids were aged 8 to 13 when I started taking exams. As in, old enough to sit and do homework after school while I studied (so we were doing something together), and then old enough to entertain themselves while I still studied.

I think it would be a lot harder with a baby, but IME, having kids makes you more focused on passing, because who wants to give up that time with their kids more than once for the same exam...

Anecdotal, but of the people I've known studying for the preliminary exams, the majority of people with kids passed exams on their first attempt, and the people without kids were more evenly spread between one or multiple attempts needed. I'm hoping that remains valid for me (and you, if you keep going) with FSA exams.

Good luck with whatever you decide Congratulations on the baby.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:48 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kl815 View Post
Hi! I just got my ASA and I am expecting my first child this year. I am trying to decide whether or not it is worth it to get my FSA. I was able to get through the prelims without failing an exam, but I had plenty of time to study. What have others experienced being a parent and also taking exams? Were you able to balance everything?

At my work, getting an FSA is encouraged but not required. Any advice would be appreciated!
Congratulations!

I am a father of a beautiful 20 month old! In my experience, it is a lot harder to study when they are running around and wanting to play. I am also sure that it is much harder on the mother in the early months than on the father.

If you are happy with your current situation, then I wouldn't advise missing time with child, because I hate missing time with my child now to study.

Each person is going to tell you something different. I do agree with another poster, if you do study, you need to be very organised and stick to a plan.

Tags
exams, fsa, mom, parent