Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:58 AM

I had my first child between C and the FAP Modules. My second pregnancy was during FSA exams. I won't say it was easy, but if you think you ever would be interested in an FSA, I encourage you to keep going now. As my kids got older, it was harder and harder to find the time to study.

I will echo what someone else said - Knowing you have limited time and want to spend time with your child(ren) makes the study time more effective. I personally believe this is what allowed me to study less than my peers and still pass exams.

You will likely need to change some of your study habits as a parent but in the end the career it allowed me was well worth the few years of dedication. I gave up many of the household chores during that time, we ate carry out too much, had too many things dry cleaned and a typically messy house but I chose to spend that time with my family and study after the kids went to bed as those was more important to me than keeping up the household chores. Your spouse/significant other's opinion in important as well, without my husband taking up a lot of the slack I left behind I probably wouldn't have been able to finish my exams.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:14 PM
SOA

Studying for WTF CFE
Favorite beer: Red, red wine

I passed my first FSA exam while pregnant. I haven't passed an exam since. (Though I did do the fellowship modules at some point.) My son turned 6 this week.

I think the first few years are tough for passing exams - you're sleep deprived and trying to balance everything as it is. Throw studying in and it gets a lot tougher. I thought it would get easier as he got older, but it hasn't. I got my first and only 0 on the first exam I sat for after having him.

That said, I'm determined to finish my final exam in the next year. You can be a career ASA - but it really puts a damper on your career. Some people don't mind that, but I'm tired of being told the only thing holding me back from moving up is that I don't have my FSA.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:04 PM
SOA

Studying for Done with exams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommelier View Post
...I passed my first FSA exam while pregnant. I haven't passed an exam since...My son turned 6 this week...
10~12 attempts? wow!

it is very selfless of you to share that private information with us! I have more respect for you than some of the career ASAs that I know who gave up after 4~5 attempts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommelier View Post
Some people don't mind that, but I'm tired of being told the only thing holding me back from moving up is that I don't have my FSA.
OP should read this more than once.

Tags
exams, fsa, mom, parent