Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 05-30-2019, 05:43 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by L. Mo View Post
Depending on the company, you may go thru the "fresh hire" training, which can take many forms. You may be given a special project, something they've always wanted to study, but didn't have the time/person to do it. You may be given a regular person's work so that they are freed up to do such a project.

And don't worry about not knowing anything - you are an intern to learn. Absorb all you can, and treat this summer as a 3 month interview for a full time job when you graduate.
Okay, that was helpful. Thank you so much!
Old 05-30-2019, 05:51 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalDan View Post

And if you're curious about the work you can read the ratemaking source from exam 5, but they won't expect you to have. In fact they may even give it to you to fill some lull periods.
Okay, that makes sense. Thank you for informing me about that.
Old 05-30-2019, 05:56 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWillKirby View Post
The work you do all summer could probably done in a week by someone with a couple year of experience. And you'll likely be given heavier guidance as detailed as which Excel formulas to use. Just ask questions about what you don't understand and what it's like to work there in general. And participate in >50% of social activities.
That's actually reassuring. Thank you!
Old 05-30-2019, 06:05 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
realize too that the employees (probably) have actual work to do so you might get ignored for long stretches of time. do not spend this time looking at your phone, surfing on the computer, etc. SAVE A COPY of one of the workbooks you've been given access to, play around with it, study it. see if you can figure out what's going on and why. if you come up with a GOOD question or two, ask someone about it.

as someone else mentioned, view your time there as an extended job interview
Thank you for the helpful suggestion! Would it also look good if I study for my exam during that time? Or would that show a lack of interest in the work?
Old 05-30-2019, 06:06 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
will you be the only actuarial intern this summer or will there be others too during this time?
There will be other interns too. But, I am not sure about how many will be there.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:07 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsu96 View Post
Thank you for the helpful suggestion! Would it also look good if I study for my exam during that time? Or would that show a lack of interest in the work?
Ask your boss if you can study, after you have asked for more work but received none.
Usually while I'm reading, I'm actually thinking about...midgets riding toy horses - Roto

Old 05-30-2019, 07:18 PM
SOA AAA

Mostly CS's advice, but:
Quote:
Hello everyone,
Well, hello!
Quote:
I am starting my summer internship in the coming week. It's at a P&C firm. I am terrified and extremely nervous about starting the internship.
Don't be. Easy to tell you, but honestly, no one cares too much about your feelings. Most people are nervous at their first jobs, but most people don't advertise it to the world. It projects "high-maintenance."
Quote:
It's my first internship in this field and I don't think I even have sufficient knowledge to go about this internship.
You probably don't. Most everyone has a "first internship" or something like you're going through without knowledge. So, you're not the first, and you won't be the last to have a first.
You know, the internship is for learning about the profession. Not for recommending trends or forecasting the T-Bill rate or something important for the company.
Quote:
I am feeling quite anxious and nervous about it.
See above.

Quote:
I was wondering if someone has any advice on how to calmly approach my internship and make the most out of it.
Everyone has given their advice, and I deem all of it useful.
Quote:
What kind of projects do interns work on?
No idea. Nothing important, though. That is certain.
Quote:
What basis are the interns judged on?
How well you do your work, whether you arrive on time (or close to it), whether you get along positively with others (you know, not discussing your feelings and stuff like that), etc.
Quote:
Any help is appreciated!

Thank you so much!
I hope my post was as useful as the others. It's not easy coming in after everyone else has done all the heavy lifting.

Some internships offer some study time. Not a whole lot, but enough to get you used to it if/when you get your career started.
Instead of being nervous, consider yourself lucky to get an internship. It means that the company picked you over several others.
Nervous? Confident is what you should be.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art

“That is reminiscent of Harry Truman’s famous saying, ‘The buck stops, uh, somewhere over there, maybe?' That is a level of dodging responsibility that Trump has been perfecting ever since he was very much not in Vietnam.” -- LWTwJO

Last edited by Dr T Non-Fan; 05-30-2019 at 08:03 PM..
Old 05-30-2019, 07:46 PM
CAS

that DTNF guy is really smart about this stuff

refer back to this thread often once you get started at the firm

you can be nervous, that's fine, but be confident too
Old 05-30-2019, 08:09 PM
SOA AAA

Thanks, yoyo (I think, sarcaso-meter is on the fritz).

Also, note that the internship is a dry-run to getting a job at that company. If they like you enough such that they don't want to interview anyone else (there might be several openings next May), that could happen.

They could also ask you to interview in the Fall.

They could also ask you to have a nice rest of your life. This one is actually pretty popular, so don't get down about it. You should STILL apply to them for May openings. You might interview with someone else in the same company.
I mean, you might have been the third best intern for the summer. The other two will get an offer or get asked to interview, but you're right there behind them. Take what you learn from this experience and frame it positively for your future interviews.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art

“That is reminiscent of Harry Truman’s famous saying, ‘The buck stops, uh, somewhere over there, maybe?' That is a level of dodging responsibility that Trump has been perfecting ever since he was very much not in Vietnam.” -- LWTwJO
Old 05-31-2019, 08:18 AM
CAS

was/am serious, DTNF

Tags
entry level advice, internship, job, p&c