Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Modules 6-8
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 08-28-2019, 05:56 PM
SOA

Default FAP Extension Deadline Questions

This is half a rant, but I'm looking for advice. I'm in a potentially bad situation because I missed the FAP extension deadline. I was unaware that a deadline was even implemented until I submitted my FA mid-August. I knew changes were coming to the FAP, but I was so far along that I thought the only one that I had to "worry" about was the FA deadline of 3/31/2020. My 2 year module subscription ends 8/31/2019.

I've been told that if I receive a failing grade after 8/31, I will not be eligible to retake the FA until it is released next June (So I just do nothing for 9 months? lol). However, if I pass the FA, but fail module 7's exercise, they will let me redo that. Below is the latest communication I received from the wonderful people at elearning.

https://imgur.com/a/UsrnXiu

1. Can someone logically explain the purpose of the 7/31/2019 FAP extension deadline when the FA deadline is 3/31/2019? Why am I not allowed to retake the FA immediately until the actual deadline occurs?

2. Why would I be allowed to retake module 7's exercise but not the FA if they both require re-accessing the modules? If they can grant access to one, why not both?

3. Why would I be required to buy an extension to something I don't even know if I need yet? The deadline essentially turned the extension into an insurance policy against failing.

4. The last line in their communication states "In fairness to all candidates...". How is denying me an extension when literally every candidate before me has been afforded that opportunity when needed fair?

5. I've been told the extension renewal link/button only shows online once your modules expire. How would I have renewed anyway?

Any further suggestions on what I can do in case I fail the FA? This seems a ridiculous situation to be in, I can't wrap my head around it. Thank you.
Old 08-31-2019, 10:24 AM
SOA

I thought the extension deadline at the end of July was really odd. The only reason I knew about it was reading super thoroughly through the SOA website. Many people that it applied to didn’t know about it until I mentioned it.

You could try to appeal their decision, but i don’t know what else other than that.

Last edited by PinballWizard100; 08-31-2019 at 10:59 AM..
Old 08-31-2019, 11:06 AM

Studying for EA-2L

hard for me to say what's fair. based on that link, you really should have known that you needed to purchase this extension on 7/31 even as just an insurance policy. they did send you 2 emails warning you. you should have read those. part of my job is to read emails that are work related and respond appropriately. yes, the whole idea that you needed to purchase an insurance policy is a little odd, but you still should have known this.

there is however a good chance you passed FA and won't have to worry about this. I passed on my first shot and i'm no genius. if you didn't, well, I guess you have to wait until June next year to do FA and get ASA. sucks, but there are worse things in life. treat this as a learning experience to read emails.
Spoiler:

Last edited by ao fan; 08-31-2019 at 11:12 AM..
Old 08-31-2019, 11:23 AM

Studying for EA-2L

if you purchased the insurance policy, you might have gotten more sympathy from the SOA to get a refund on that if you wound up passing FA. if they refused a refund, i'd be pissed, but in this situation, you missed emails.
Spoiler:
Old 11-25-2019, 11:35 AM
SOA

College: Ohio Wesleyan University

I am now in the exact same situation. I would like to say this is BS. There is a gap between the extension purchase deadline and the transition deadline. >.< The email they sent in July did not convey all the complicated situation involved. Thank you OP for your email. At least I know I will need to pass FA and worry about the module exercise later.
Old 11-28-2019, 02:24 PM
SOA

I'm not sure where to post this, but was wondering what would happen if I pass FA but not module 6 or 7. How long would we have to re-submit modules 6 and 7? Thanks.

Tags
2019, deadline, extension, fap, ridiculous