Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 02-20-2020, 03:26 PM
SOA AAA

See if any of the new companies that use non-traditional underwriting quote you differently.
Old 02-20-2020, 05:25 PM
SOA AAA

College: University of Wisconsin
Favorite beer: Ale, Lager, you name it

Northwestern Mutual is the single most conservative life insurance company when it comes to underwriting. They pride themselves on extremely low mortality experience. You'll have to search around:

"Who Writes What in Life & Health Insurance?" used to be a good source of information. It was published by the National Underwriter. But a quick google search turns up nothing recent.
Also, just find a good insurance broker who deals with a bunch of carriers. That is exactly the sort of question they're good at answering.
Old 02-20-2020, 05:31 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimjongfun View Post
Like the title says life insurance is very expensive for me, to the point it seems like a ripoff given how healthy I actually am (I fully expect to have near normal life expectancy as most manage this condition far worse than I do).

Does this mean I could get some kind of deferred life annuity for super cheap if life companies are so sure that I'm going to die?
Life insurance is not based on YOU. It's based on people like you. People like you with your chronic condition die sooner than those without it, all things equal (assuming they are pricing it actuarially accurately).

Life insurers are sure that you will die. It's the WHEN that is unknown.
A life insurer cannot guarantee that you will keep on managing your chronic illness, or manage it properly. Only you can. And that is disconcerting for the insurer.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art

“That is reminiscent of Harry Truman’s famous saying, ‘The buck stops, uh, somewhere over there, maybe?' That is a level of dodging responsibility that Trump has been perfecting ever since he was very much not in Vietnam.” -- LWTwJO
Old 02-20-2020, 07:21 PM

If your employer lets you up your life insurance by 1x salary each year without underwriting, as many do, just do that until you hit the max and sock away the money you'd have to pay to get it on the open market. My brother was able to do this up to 10x his salary at his job(4 or 5x is more typical).
Maybe try that company that runs those ads about "bench your bodyweight? Run a mile under 8 minutes? Get insurance from us!"
Old 02-20-2020, 07:31 PM
CAS

Studying for Prostate exam
College: Hard Knocks

I agree with the comments regarding trying a good broker. Loner, I don’t get the ads where I live about benching your body weight but it’s not a bad idea. Where I live it’s something like “call big Lou. He’s fat and takes blood pressure medicine like you and can get you a good deal on life insurance.” Somewhat similar but less blunt language from Select Quote.
Old 02-22-2020, 01:02 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine-iac View Post
You might also be able to get a deferred benefit policy, which could make sense if you are generally healthy. (Reduced payout if you pass away within x years, usually 2, I think, full benefits thereafter.)

Employer group life may be your best bet.
except that there is a stupidly large list of conditions that they automatically decline to quote you for. One of which is mine. Many of the conditions are quite manageable and common too
Old 02-22-2020, 01:04 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorian Atreides View Post
So . . . why do you want life insurance in the first place?
I care about my wife
Old 02-22-2020, 03:15 PM
SOA

Studying for CPD - and nuttin' else!
College: Swigmore U
Favorite beer: Guinness

Quote:
I care about my wife

How about contacting a reinsurer? They must have loads of data on your condition and who might be willing to accept your app.

ETA: Affinity groups, e.g alumni association, bank, church, etc?

Last edited by Breadmaker; 02-22-2020 at 03:50 PM.. Reason: Affinity groups
Old 02-22-2020, 03:30 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner View Post
If your employer lets you up your life insurance by 1x salary each year without underwriting, as many do, just do that until you hit the max and sock away the money you'd have to pay to get it on the open market. My brother was able to do this up to 10x his salary at his job(4 or 5x is more typical).
Maybe try that company that runs those ads about "bench your bodyweight? Run a mile under 8 minutes? Get insurance from us!"
Group life is usually 4x/salary with no exceptions.

Would be difficult to increase this if you had a pre-existing condition.
Old 02-22-2020, 03:31 PM
SOA

Quote:
I care about my wife
You have life coverage via employer.

4x/salary

And Pension.