Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 03-12-2020, 06:01 AM
Defending the AO since 2007
SOA AAA

Studying for GHDP-A
College: Hard Knox U.
Default SOA and COVID-19

With the spread of COVID-19 leading to the NBA suspending their season and the US suspending travel from Europe, what are the SOA’s plans in regard to Spring exams? Might it be wise to suspend exams especially if the campuses where the exams are taken are closed and many businesses are pushing employees to work remotely if possible?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statatak View Post
I'm not the sharpest tool on the AO, but I'm comforted by the idea that no matter how vapid and incoherent my arguments are that there may be a kernel of truth buried somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pac Shakur View Post
i am broken and incapable of thought and a bunch of other stuff
Old 03-12-2020, 09:58 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
With the spread of COVID-19 leading to the NBA suspending their season and the US suspending travel from Europe, what are the SOA’s plans in regard to Spring exams? Might it be wise to suspend exams especially if the campuses where the exams are taken are closed and many businesses are pushing employees to work remotely if possible?
I can see a situation where SOA will do all of the following:

1) Offer special full refunds on exam fees without exception for all who are not comfortable or able to take exam the usual way

2) Encourage employers with actuarial student programs to not count these cancellations as failed attempts

3) Attempt to offer alternative testing locations including the ability to take the exam in one’s home with 2 proctors (more than 1 in case there’s a dispute) coming to the house if a room in the tenant’s/homeowner’s home the possessor signs “I agree to have this room inspected to meet the conditions for a testing facility” meaning no cheat
ware and no known internet devices allowed, landlines to be disconnected, alarms turned off, and doors locked with a note “do not knock or enter until 2pm...do not disturb”. This could mean one witness in the home and maybe a video Skyped in proctor but set up with supervision to set fair exam conditions.

Last edited by Latitude30; 03-12-2020 at 10:03 AM..
Old 03-12-2020, 10:08 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for GHDP-A

Those are good suggestions. I’d also be interested in how they treat the FSA exam transitions, maybe push the dates back by six months?
Quote:
I'm not the sharpest tool on the AO, but I'm comforted by the idea that no matter how vapid and incoherent my arguments are that there may be a kernel of truth buried somewhere.
Quote:
Old 03-12-2020, 03:44 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Hazy LA IPA

Of all the things you could do, walking into a room with two or three people and sitting at a desk is not particularly high hazard. Certainly candidates and proctors are not sweating on each other, or taking showers together.

Exams should be available to those who want them with appropriate sanitation resources--in my humble opinion.
Old 03-12-2020, 03:49 PM
CAS

multiple people on this board have already said they don't care if they are sick they will go to write the exam anyway after putting in all of the work studying and not wanting to wait any longer
Old 03-12-2020, 04:08 PM
It's a funny name.

#3 seems incredibly onerous, and I would be shocked if the SOA actually went there.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwakura42 View Post
Of all the things you could do, walking into a room with two or three people and sitting at a desk is not particularly high hazard. Certainly candidates and proctors are not sweating on each other, or taking showers together.

Exams should be available to those who want them with appropriate sanitation resources--in my humble opinion.
I never took an exam with only 2 to 3 candidates. I did take an exam or two with 100+ candidates.

Now if you are suggesting breaking that into 30-50 different locations, good luck with those logistics.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:31 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for GHDP-A

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwakura42 View Post

I'm going to have to pass on sitting in a classroom with 50 people sitting 6 feet away from each other coughing, hacking, sneezing, and wheezing all over everything. At a minimum, that is not a conducive test taking environment.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-12-2020, 06:43 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latitude30 View Post
I can see a situation where SOA will do all of the following:

1) Offer special full refunds on exam fees without exception for all who are not comfortable or able to take exam the usual way

2) Encourage employers with actuarial student programs to not count these cancellations as failed attempts

3) Attempt to offer alternative testing locations including the ability to take the exam in one’s home with 2 proctors (more than 1 in case there’s a dispute) coming to the house if a room in the tenant’s/homeowner’s home the possessor signs “I agree to have this room inspected to meet the conditions for a testing facility” meaning no cheat
ware and no known internet devices allowed, landlines to be disconnected, alarms turned off, and doors locked with a note “do not knock or enter until 2pm...do not disturb”. This could mean one witness in the home and maybe a video Skyped in proctor but set up with supervision to set fair exam conditions.
2) You would have to have a really bad work situation if they even considered calling that a failed attempt.

3) The logistics of this seem cumbersome and it would change the testing conditions, potentially giving an unfair 'home court' advantage (you just sit at your house and take the exam, no driving to the testing location, parking, uncomfortable chair, having to find a weird spot to eat lunch, etc.).
Old 03-12-2020, 07:50 PM
CAS SOA AAA

How about hold 2 testing dates later in the year?