Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.


General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-12-2020, 06:01 AM
Brock's Avatar
Brock Brock is offline
Defending the AO since 2007
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Venture Compound
Studying for GHDP-A
College: Hard Knox U.
Posts: 13,367
Default SOA and COVID-19

With the spread of COVID-19 leading to the NBA suspending their season and the US suspending travel from Europe, what are the SOA’s plans in regard to Spring exams? Might it be wise to suspend exams especially if the campuses where the exams are taken are closed and many businesses are pushing employees to work remotely if possible?
__________________
|||||||||||||()Ξ████████████████████████████████)
Thanks, Tom's Alt & mod1!
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statatak View Post
I'm not the sharpest tool on the AO, but I'm comforted by the idea that no matter how vapid and incoherent my arguments are that there may be a kernel of truth buried somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pac Shakur View Post
i am broken and incapable of thought and a bunch of other stuff
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-12-2020, 09:58 AM
Latitude30 Latitude30 is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,881
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
With the spread of COVID-19 leading to the NBA suspending their season and the US suspending travel from Europe, what are the SOA’s plans in regard to Spring exams? Might it be wise to suspend exams especially if the campuses where the exams are taken are closed and many businesses are pushing employees to work remotely if possible?
I can see a situation where SOA will do all of the following:

1) Offer special full refunds on exam fees without exception for all who are not comfortable or able to take exam the usual way

2) Encourage employers with actuarial student programs to not count these cancellations as failed attempts

3) Attempt to offer alternative testing locations including the ability to take the exam in one’s home with 2 proctors (more than 1 in case there’s a dispute) coming to the house if a room in the tenant’s/homeowner’s home the possessor signs “I agree to have this room inspected to meet the conditions for a testing facility” meaning no cheat
ware and no known internet devices allowed, landlines to be disconnected, alarms turned off, and doors locked with a note “do not knock or enter until 2pm...do not disturb”. This could mean one witness in the home and maybe a video Skyped in proctor but set up with supervision to set fair exam conditions.

Last edited by Latitude30; 03-12-2020 at 10:03 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-12-2020, 10:08 AM
Brock's Avatar
Brock Brock is offline
Defending the AO since 2007
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Venture Compound
Studying for GHDP-A
College: Hard Knox U.
Posts: 13,367
Default

Those are good suggestions. I’d also be interested in how they treat the FSA exam transitions, maybe push the dates back by six months?
__________________
|||||||||||||()Ξ████████████████████████████████)
Thanks, Tom's Alt & mod1!
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statatak View Post
I'm not the sharpest tool on the AO, but I'm comforted by the idea that no matter how vapid and incoherent my arguments are that there may be a kernel of truth buried somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pac Shakur View Post
i am broken and incapable of thought and a bunch of other stuff
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-12-2020, 03:44 PM
iwakura42's Avatar
iwakura42 iwakura42 is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hollywood
Favorite beer: Hazy LA IPA
Posts: 240
Default

Of all the things you could do, walking into a room with two or three people and sitting at a desk is not particularly high hazard. Certainly candidates and proctors are not sweating on each other, or taking showers together.

Exams should be available to those who want them with appropriate sanitation resources--in my humble opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-12-2020, 03:49 PM
Shakes's Avatar
Shakes Shakes is online now
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 66
Default

multiple people on this board have already said they don't care if they are sick they will go to write the exam anyway after putting in all of the work studying and not wanting to wait any longer
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-12-2020, 04:08 PM
Turd Ferguson's Avatar
Turd Ferguson Turd Ferguson is offline
It's a funny name.
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,737
Default

#3 seems incredibly onerous, and I would be shocked if the SOA actually went there.
__________________
Suck it, Trebek
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-12-2020, 04:17 PM
MooBeay MooBeay is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,082
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwakura42 View Post
Of all the things you could do, walking into a room with two or three people and sitting at a desk is not particularly high hazard. Certainly candidates and proctors are not sweating on each other, or taking showers together.

Exams should be available to those who want them with appropriate sanitation resources--in my humble opinion.
I never took an exam with only 2 to 3 candidates. I did take an exam or two with 100+ candidates.

Now if you are suggesting breaking that into 30-50 different locations, good luck with those logistics.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-12-2020, 04:31 PM
Brock's Avatar
Brock Brock is offline
Defending the AO since 2007
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Venture Compound
Studying for GHDP-A
College: Hard Knox U.
Posts: 13,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwakura42 View Post
Of all the things you could do, walking into a room with two or three people and sitting at a desk is not particularly high hazard. Certainly candidates and proctors are not sweating on each other, or taking showers together.

Exams should be available to those who want them with appropriate sanitation resources--in my humble opinion.
I'm going to have to pass on sitting in a classroom with 50 people sitting 6 feet away from each other coughing, hacking, sneezing, and wheezing all over everything. At a minimum, that is not a conducive test taking environment.
__________________
|||||||||||||()Ξ████████████████████████████████)
Thanks, Tom's Alt & mod1!
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statatak View Post
I'm not the sharpest tool on the AO, but I'm comforted by the idea that no matter how vapid and incoherent my arguments are that there may be a kernel of truth buried somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pac Shakur View Post
i am broken and incapable of thought and a bunch of other stuff
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-12-2020, 06:43 PM
selectstar selectstar is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 216
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latitude30 View Post
I can see a situation where SOA will do all of the following:

1) Offer special full refunds on exam fees without exception for all who are not comfortable or able to take exam the usual way

2) Encourage employers with actuarial student programs to not count these cancellations as failed attempts

3) Attempt to offer alternative testing locations including the ability to take the exam in one’s home with 2 proctors (more than 1 in case there’s a dispute) coming to the house if a room in the tenant’s/homeowner’s home the possessor signs “I agree to have this room inspected to meet the conditions for a testing facility” meaning no cheat
ware and no known internet devices allowed, landlines to be disconnected, alarms turned off, and doors locked with a note “do not knock or enter until 2pm...do not disturb”. This could mean one witness in the home and maybe a video Skyped in proctor but set up with supervision to set fair exam conditions.
2) You would have to have a really bad work situation if they even considered calling that a failed attempt.

3) The logistics of this seem cumbersome and it would change the testing conditions, potentially giving an unfair 'home court' advantage (you just sit at your house and take the exam, no driving to the testing location, parking, uncomfortable chair, having to find a weird spot to eat lunch, etc.).
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-12-2020, 07:50 PM
BayesDeep's Avatar
BayesDeep BayesDeep is offline
Member
CAS SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 78
Default

How about hold 2 testing dates later in the year?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.32086 seconds with 9 queries