Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 02-21-2011, 08:34 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for MFE
College: Winona State University
Favorite beer: My home brew!
Smile MidWestern With 2 exams.

Fellow Actuaries,

I have recently passed my second exam and am looking for advice to find employment in the Midwest or really anywhere. Will be taking the MFE in May. Right now I am starting a temp job at Wells Fargo through Accountemps (Robert Half International). I have talked to a couple actuaries in the Twin Cities and they told me I need some experience which is why I quit my dead end job (was valeting and tutoring math) I was doing while studying and got in at Accountemps. I was a math/stat major who graduated a semester early even while studying abroad, and thought with my grades and smarts I'd just walk into a good actuarial job. I had to mature a bit, but I'm on the maturity level of an entry level Actuary now I feel.

I'm wondering if the office work through Accountemps and passing my next exam (thinking MFE based on these boards) is the best thing I should be doing with my time. Please help me figure out what I should be doing. Also, tell me like it is, I want to know the real thoughts of Actuaries hopefully those of you with actual hiring power. If you want my resume just PM me and I'd be glad to send it.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:58 PM
SOA AAA

I do not want to see your résumé.
You need money, so you have a job. Office work should help familiarize you to acceptable behaviors in office settings. Amazing how some people don't have such social abilities and how they show this lack in interviews.

Do: Send your résumé to every place and location that you want to work. This should be at least ten (random round number -- you could send to 1000 places at once if you want) places for the first batch. After two weeks, send to ten more places, and call someone at each of the first places. Repeat pattern until someone calls you.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art

“That is reminiscent of Harry Truman’s famous saying, ‘The buck stops, uh, somewhere over there, maybe?' That is a level of dodging responsibility that Trump has been perfecting ever since he was very much not in Vietnam.” -- LWTwJO
Old 02-21-2011, 11:09 PM

Favorite beer: The kind with 2 e's

hit all the bigs in the twin cities, and do it soon. same with madison. and des moines.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:46 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for MFE
College: Winona State University
Favorite beer: My home brew!

Yeah I did that after passing the first exam. I am thinking I will have quite a bit more luck this time. I also think the job market is picking up as even before passing the latest exam I have been getting at least the initial phone interview and my contacts telling me that I made it past the initial rounds of selection. Don't let the bass***s get you down is my motto! Thanks for the replies though.

Last edited by draighnean; 02-21-2011 at 11:46 PM.. Reason: my crude expression is apparently too crude
Old 02-22-2011, 12:25 PM
SOA AAA

Your wanting to stay in the Midwest can be seen as a strength. It's difficult to find someone willing to work in the Twin Cities without having first lived there.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art

“That is reminiscent of Harry Truman’s famous saying, ‘The buck stops, uh, somewhere over there, maybe?' That is a level of dodging responsibility that Trump has been perfecting ever since he was very much not in Vietnam.” -- LWTwJO
Old 02-22-2011, 12:45 PM
Official AO Grill Master
SOA

Studying for :lol:
Favorite beer: Yes

I don't have hiring power, but I did get a job in this environment.

I'd say take MLC instead of MFE for your exam. It's considered the easiest of the next 3 exams by candidates and passing any of them now is your priority. Plus, although it's the easiest, many older actuaries still see it as the hardest. Otherwise, you have the right idea.

More importantly, edit every detail of your resume before sending them out. Since you are getting responses, this may not be an issue.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Your wanting to stay in the Midwest can be seen as a strength. It's difficult to find someone willing to work in the Twin Cities without having first lived there.
This is good to know as I've resided in the Twin Cities my whole life. I also work in underwriting (health) but am moving to the actuarial field upon passing my next exam.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:00 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainheavy View Post
This is good to know as I've resided in the Twin Cities my whole life. I also work in underwriting (health) but am moving to the actuarial field upon passing my next exam.
Do note that someone else could do the job being done in Twin Cities from anywhere in the world. I work on products in many states, never been snowed on once.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Do note that someone else could do the job being done in Twin Cities from anywhere in the world. I work on products in many states, never been snowed on once.

What's wrong with snow?! Sure it slows down commuting and causes many accidents, but other than that I don't see the big deal!
Old 02-22-2011, 01:12 PM
SOA AAA

I don't mind snow, as long as it's nowhere near where I live. If I want snow, I'll go to it. Heck, just saw some snow over the weekend. It was 20 miles away and 3000 feet higher than I am. That's the best kind of snow. Far-away snow.

Tags
employment, guidance, midwest