Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Diversions > Bridge
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Bridge Sub-Forums: Frequency and Severity

Old 07-04-2020, 08:31 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

provisionally 77.59% in the free weekend survivor. None below average, only 2 under 60%.
Old 07-05-2020, 03:14 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not nearly as good day 2 in the NABC robot individual practice. Started out with what should have been a super board, but only 58% provisionally. The same LHO must have been defending at many tables. Auction is 4S by CHO, float. RHO (opening leader) cashes the heart A and shifts to the club 7. J842 in dummy. LHO has AKQ10x, and decides to play the x, CHO's stiff 9 winning. Or maybe the other tables made 6 when RHO didn't play a club at trick 2 or even didn't start with the heart A. Still, something was strange.

I could have had a monster game had I done everything right, but most of my decisions were reasonable (except that maybe you should realize a good game is irrelevant, so take off-percentage actions hoping to strike magic.)
Old 07-05-2020, 07:27 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jamesgumb wins one group challenge with +9.00. oirg wins the other with +16.65. procrastinator wins the 2-way by 3. I reissued them all.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve White View Post
Not nearly as good day 2 in the NABC robot individual practice. Started out with what should have been a super board, but only 58% provisionally. The same LHO must have been defending at many tables. Auction is 4S by CHO, float. RHO (opening leader) cashes the heart A and shifts to the club 7. J842 in dummy. LHO has AKQ10x, and decides to play the x, CHO's stiff 9 winning. Or maybe the other tables made 6 when RHO didn't play a club at trick 2 or even didn't start with the heart A. Still, something was strange.

I could have had a monster game had I done everything right, but most of my decisions were reasonable (except that maybe you should realize a good game is irrelevant, so take off-percentage actions hoping to strike magic.)
I tried to sign up to Day 1 and it had already passed, even though it was still Saturday. Shame.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:23 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JJ wins one group challenge with +26.00. procrastinator wins the other with +13.25, the only person with + imps. procrastinator wins the 2-way with 45.

I reissued them all. oirg out in the SW49 group challenge.
Old 07-10-2020, 12:14 AM

Dang I'm playing poorly tonight. Weird how the cycles come and go.
Old 07-11-2020, 07:39 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All winners were by at least 10 imps. oirg + 17.75; SW49 by +34.99, and me by 15 in the 2-way with procrastinator.

I reissued them all.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:20 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NN wins one group challenge with +16.00. oirg wins the other with =21.50. procrastinator wins the 2-way by 17.

I reissued them all, with AA out in the SW49 challenge.

I did pick up a win, in a 16 board challenge against a robot, by 48. Very strange. I thought I had probably lost. I had only one board that I thought would be a clear pickup IRL, when RHO bid an idiotic slam, and against bots I figured I probably lost on it, since I cashed the setting trick (at risk it was making if I didn't cash, but in fact I set it only one when the alternative defense sets in at least 2, probably more.

No, it's attached, and it was a big pickup. I thought my hand was a clear-cut opening bid, but bot passed it and opps rested in 3NT.
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2020, 08:26 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And another expected to be unfortunate one. I missed an excellent 6 slam (cold on a non-spade lead; on a spade lead it requires a finesse, with opening bidder holding the heart K). To miss the slam, I lied in my Blackwood response. The heart K was onside. In fact, it was an good 7 slam, making 7 if the heart is onside.

Still, I expected a push. (I intentionally lied in response to Blackwood because after belatedly reading system notes, I realized CHO might well be expecting more for my previous bid.) No, bot with my cards stopped in 4.
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2020, 08:32 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Then this one. An absolute disaster IRL, as surely you would expect the other table to reach the frigid 4 game. Instead, I thought I might have been too aggressive to reach 4 , down 2. Can you believe CHO's bidding?

Still, I figured my bot counterpart might also end up in spades, going down, so this wasn't necessarily a disaster. In fact, I won 3 imps. Exactly the same auction, and he went down 3.
Attached Images