Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Short-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Short-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam C Forum

Old 08-16-2019, 01:32 PM
SOA

Studying for PA
College: University of Puerto Rico - Río Piedras Campus '15

I used TIA. I watched the video lessons making sure I was able to solve the examples by myself and solved the first pass problems. Then I worked on the ~640 problems in the problem bank, keeping a record of the problems I missed so I could focus on those topics later on. I also did all the SOA sample problems twice.

Last edited by crcosme88; 08-16-2019 at 01:59 PM..
Old 08-16-2019, 01:50 PM
SOA

Passed too! congrats to all who did.

Question: I have FAP and PA remaining. I am not super familiar with format, time commitment, difficulty, materials used, etc. for each. Any high level info would be appreciated. What would you recommend moving to next?
Old 08-16-2019, 01:56 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.DeMartinis1 View Post

Question: I have FAP and PA remaining. I am not super familiar with format, time commitment, difficulty, materials used, etc. for each. Any high level info would be appreciated. What would you recommend moving to next?
I'm not sure when new FAP is available, but I definitely wouldn't start old FAP at this point. Next PA sitting is December.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:16 PM
SOA

College: Appalachian State University 2017

Passed as well! Immediately switched to PTO and left work.

I also used CA manual plus adapt. I didn’t do any quizzes during the manual (probably a mistake) but did a quiz on every section at level 3 afterwards. Took and exam. Did a quiz on every section I answered 50% or below on. Repeat until I had averaged about 70-80% correct on all of the sections.
Old 08-17-2019, 01:49 PM
SOA

Studying for STAM

For those that passed, what was your CA earned level? I was at 5.86.

I got a 5 in Feb and assume I got the same in June. Any tips to get me over the hump?

I'm planning to reread everything, do quizzes, and fit in about 10 exams.
Old 08-17-2019, 02:34 PM

Studying for EA-2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.DeMartinis1 View Post

I could be wrong, but in looking at the timeline on soa.org, it looks like you literally cannot even purchase the current version of FAP right now. The last date to purchase it was July 31. New FAP looks like it will be available January, 2020. This seems very odd to me, but that's what the website seems to indicate. So a lot of people won't be able to get ASA until new FAP is available.

So, PA is likely your only option right now.

https://www.soa.org/education/genera...adline-credit/
Spoiler:
Old 08-19-2019, 09:14 AM
SOA

Studying for STAM

I got a 7, and my earned level was in the low 5 range (I think like a 5.1 or something).

I'm not sure how you study, but i take A LOT of quizzes and practice exam, and i fail most of them, so my EL being at a 5.1 is after hundreds of questions and a very very slow increase. I know some people take just a couple practice exams and their EL jumps pretty quickly because they get so many right. I wonder if it might be better to practice a lot of lower level questions, because then you see everything, and slowly increase to higher difficulty questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobot View Post

I got a 5 in Feb and assume I got the same in June. Any tips to get me over the hump?

APC
Old 08-19-2019, 09:23 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for LTAM
College: Drake University Alum
Favorite beer: New Glarus Spotted Cow

Honestly, once I got to about a EL of 7 I started just doing a bunch of level 6 exams; I found the actual exam to be between a 5 and 6. It's good to be able to do really hard problems, but I find it more useful to practice problems that you're more likely to face on the actual thing.

Just make sure you study everything on the syllabus and do quizzes on things you have difficulty with. It's all fair game.
I can't guarantee my method will work for you, but I got a 10 on the exam so I don't think I just got lucky.

Quote:

Old 08-19-2019, 11:36 AM
SOA

Passed!

I used the full video + manual + adapt package from CA. Watched all the videos and did very few quizzes at first. I finished the videos with a month left and just focused on quizzes and practice exams from there.

I found this exam to be the most difficult I've taken by far (out of P, FM, and IFM). There is so much material and the SOA can and will ask questions on the smallest topics. I had two qualitative question on a very small topic regarding healthcare that were basically throwaways. I studied 1.5 times what I normally do and felt horrible walking out of the testing center. Longest 8 weeks of my life.

The exam itself wasn't too difficult, maybe a level 5 adapt exam. None of the questions required really difficult calculation. The difficulty was in the broadness of material covered.

Another difficulty arises from some of the questions requiring a lot of computational work (looking at you ratemaking and empirical Bayes non-parametric methods). This can really eat into your time. I had no time to go back and look at answers or recalculate anything. They can take 5 minutes alone with 100+ calculator inputs. Lots of room for error.

Stats:
  • 4 months studying
  • Total time - 146 hrs
  • 50 hours in the final week (study days ftw)
  • EL of 6.3 with 11 practice exams taken

In the end I received a grade of 7, which is two points higher than what I thought I'd get. Take this exam seriously and put in the hours and you will do fine.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:16 PM
SOA

Studying for LTAM
College: BS - Randolph College | PhD - UAB

I had a CA earned level of 6.4 when I took the exam.

I thought my actual exam was closer to a 5 in difficulty.

I used the ASM manual primarily. I read through all the lessons in ASM and all the end-of-lesson and supplemental problems immediately upon finishing the lesson. I always tried to do as many as I could without referencing the lesson. I would usually poop out about halfway through when the problems got harder and I got more tired. I did not do any practice exams from ASM, but there were 10 or so in the manual. I cannot emphasize how good I thought ASM was. It was well organized, a delight to read, and very thorough.

Instead of ASM practice exams, I bought a month of CA because I am too lazy to keep up with my progress. I got to around an earned level of 6, did the 300ish SOA problems and reviewed them, took a couple more practice exams that counted toward my earned level, and then I took level 5 exams (and maybe one or two level 6 exams).

I also did some reinforcement things like make flash cards, white-out the formulas from the CA formula sheet so that I could fill it in by hand (this was the idea of a coworker), and wrote out some canonical examples for problems I was likely to encounter. I did memorized a lot of conjugate priors and posteriors and predictives, which turned out to be useful.

I felt more prepared than I did for IFM in February. I made an 8 on STAM.

Quote: