Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:18 AM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgets with Guns View Post
That's a general problem I still have, getting the speakers to sound the way I want for very different types of music. It helps obviously when I'm pretty familiar with the song.
It's a problem if you listen to different types of music. I listen to a fair bit of acoustic music, and some female vocals, but I also like to turn Kings of Leon up to 11. And it's really hard to find a speaker that does both of those very well. Hoping the Gedlee is a sweet spot, will know soon.

Otherwise, I might resign myself to having two systems. The Gedlee should definitely rock, with the compression driver, 12" woofer playing to 80Hz, plus my subwoofer array. And then maybe buy a pair of Magnepan MMGi, plus perhaps the Tekton 21" subs to fill out the bottom octave.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:38 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
It's a problem if you listen to different types of music. I listen to a fair bit of acoustic music, and some female vocals, but I also like to turn Kings of Leon up to 11. And it's really hard to find a speaker that does both of those very well. Hoping the Gedlee is a sweet spot, will know soon.

Otherwise, I might resign myself to having two systems. The Gedlee should definitely rock, with the compression driver, 12" woofer playing to 80Hz, plus my subwoofer array. And then maybe buy a pair of Magnepan MMGi, plus perhaps the Tekton 21" subs to fill out the bottom octave.
Yeah I'm all over the place with musical taste. Right now my speakers play classic rock like it's their job, but most other music sounds off unless I mess with it. Rap is especially terrible unless I turn the bass almost off. Maybe messing with the AVR and creating some extra sound modes would help, but probably not if you have the same issue.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:43 AM
Lead Guitarist
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Avery Mephistopheles

A lot of that just has to do with how different genres are mixed/produced. Unless you are running a dynamic EQ that tries to volume level the entire spectrum of frequencies, a really good sound system is going to accentuate the differences. I'd imagine you run into problems with "loudness wars" albums as well.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:53 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividox View Post
A lot of that just has to do with how different genres are mixed/produced. Unless you are running a dynamic EQ that tries to volume level the entire spectrum of frequencies, a really good sound system is going to accentuate the differences. I'd imagine you run into problems with "loudness wars" albums as well.
This is definitely an issue. I like a lot of indie rock - albums that are produced on a low budget, and sound like it.

But even for more well-recorded tracks, it's hard to find speakers that can produce a realistic piano, and also do AC/DC at 115dB and pull it off.

I've heard a few, like the big Martin Logan Neolith ($80k) and the JBL M2 ($20k). I'm trying to pull it off on a smaller budget. Martin Logan had a Neolith surround sound set up a couple years ago at RMAF. Huge room, huge amps, huge subs. I've never spoken to God, but I suspect it sounds a lot like that room. They did some jazz that was sublime, and then switched to deep house and turned it up to about 105-110dB, and they didn't even flinch.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:56 AM
Lead Guitarist
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Avery Mephistopheles

Just an aside, but I can't stand listening to music that loud. I will always wear earplugs to a live show. I'll take my music in the 70-80db range, thank you very much.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:01 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Yeah I'm all over the place with musical taste. Right now my speakers play classic rock like it's their job, but most other music sounds off unless I mess with it. Rap is especially terrible unless I turn the bass almost off. Maybe messing with the AVR and creating some extra sound modes would help, but probably not if you have the same issue.
This is Klipsch in a nutshell. They are absolutely perfect for rock, very dynamic, and most will sound clean even as the SPL climbs quite high. But their horns don't quite work for things like vocals. I suspect it's a combination of a pretty low-tech driver and a horn geometry that isn't terribly modern. They should look at what Gedlee/JBL/etc are doing on the horn front.

Do you have a subwoofer? If not, the issue with rap may just be you're trying to get more bass out of them than they can produce. To get bass you need either a gigantic box, a lot of power, or both. A small sound bar with a couple hundred watts just can't beat physics.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:04 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividox View Post
Just an aside, but I can't stand listening to music that loud. I will always wear earplugs to a live show. I'll take my music in the 70-80db range, thank you very much.
I don't do it all that often these days. But once in a while, when nobody else is home, I do like to throttle it up for a few songs. And I do love the Orbit Shifter for movies, I'm flat to 15Hz and 3dB down at 12Hz, it really rumbles.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:21 PM
SOA

Quote:
This is Klipsch in a nutshell. They are absolutely perfect for rock, very dynamic, and most will sound clean even as the SPL climbs quite high. But their horns don't quite work for things like vocals. I suspect it's a combination of a pretty low-tech driver and a horn geometry that isn't terribly modern. They should look at what Gedlee/JBL/etc are doing on the horn front.

Do you have a subwoofer? If not, the issue with rap may just be you're trying to get more bass out of them than they can produce. To get bass you need either a gigantic box, a lot of power, or both. A small sound bar with a couple hundred watts just can't beat physics.
I have a 10-inch sub, Klipsch R-10SW, to go with the smallest size RP speakers (7 total) and a respectable Yamaha AVR. Fairly small basement den.

I noticed you were using some older Klipsch. While researching, I definitely came across some sentiment that the older models were still better. Any thoughts on the RP line in general? Obviously I'm set for now, but I'm sure I'll make more purchases down the road. JBL is a brand I researched some, but Klipsch was more in line with my budget IIRC.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:48 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
I have a 10-inch sub, Klipsch R-10SW, to go with the smallest size RP speakers (7 total) and a respectable Yamaha AVR. Fairly small basement den.

I noticed you were using some older Klipsch. While researching, I definitely came across some sentiment that the older models were still better. Any thoughts on the RP line in general? Obviously I'm set for now, but I'm sure I'll make more purchases down the road. JBL is a brand I researched some, but Klipsch was more in line with my budget IIRC.
Why did I think you had a Klipsch soundbar? Hmm. Well then.

I'm surprised your 10" doesn't do rap music at least some justice. Regarding Klipsch, I haven't heard the newest stuff, including the RP. I think the newer stuff still sounds quite good, I think the older stuff might have been better, but that might be nostalgia. SOME of the older gear was very good: CF-4 (what I have), RF-7, and to a slightly lesser extent the KLF line (I had a pair).

JBL is bifurcated. The more pedestrian gear is so-so. Their high-end stuff is great, but the prices are astronomical. I paid $1,200 for a set of used JBL tweeters (compression drivers) at one point.

If you like Klipsch and want to upgrade, maybe check out the Zu Dirty Weekend, currently out of stock. I heard Zu at the last two Rocky Mountain Audio Fests. They are basically using a pro audio woofer and a compression driver with a small waveguide. I expected them to play loud, and they do. But they are really neutral, sound great with softer music, and the bass is really clean. And they aren't cheap (this is the least expensive model), but $1,500 isn't off the deep end, imo.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:47 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary View Post
Do they still work?
yep

Quote:
Not a ton, these were made in the glory days of Polk Audio, before they went down-market and started selling at Best Buy. At this point, they may need some crossover parts replaced and/or the foam surrounds replaced on the drivers. If they still work well, probably worth using. Speaker tech has progressed since these were made, but much of the older gear is still quite good. Especially if you're comparing it to the current mass market stuff.
still sound good to me. set them up at our mountain house