Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 10-05-2019, 10:11 PM

Studying for P/1
College: M.S. University of Texas; B.S. Trinity University

I have posted on the resume subforum http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=331241 but did not get much feedback there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorian Atreides View Post
Should have the fine folks who frequent the Resume subforum take a look at your resume (if they haven't).
Old 10-05-2019, 10:21 PM

Studying for P/1

Thanks, lolz. I am in my forties, have no actuarial job experience and am somewhat limited geographically. Those are probably factors in my lack of interviews. I also work full time, so I have limited time for applications. I have tried applying for jobs like underwriter or data analyst, but have no interviews there either. That might be because my credentials (three exams, two engineering degrees from 15+ years ago and work experience outside of the field) are not very relevant to those jobs, so I am not sure it is worth applying. If I join the Master's program in data analytics, I would have access to the university's career services and that would hopefully set me up for a 2020 summer internship or something better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolz View Post
Iím no expert but someone with 3 exams should get an interview at least. Are there any underlying factors such as age or inexperience that may be at play here?
Old 10-05-2019, 10:48 PM
CAS

Highly unusual for someone in their 40s to go for an internship. Can't say it's impossible but many career-changers have transitioned into actuarial without needing an internship (including myself).

Generally one would need some other marketable skill that one's picked up over years of working - IT skills, social skills. Engineers have a good reputation with IT skills, so if you develop those it would make sense.

If you continue to develop your data analytics skills, you may be able to get a position in an insurance company as a data analyst and then starting applying within the company (or other insurance companies) for actuarial roles.

Finally, you may need to widen your geographical search (I did), even if it means working a couple of years nowhere near where you want to be, then using that experience to apply for positions back in your desirable location.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:21 PM

Studying for P/1

Knoath, thanks very much for the feedback. I have some IT skills including a recent online SAS course. Widening my geographical search would be difficult because of my wife's commitments, but we could probably make it work.
What types of jobs would you recommend I apply for? How much do you think starting a Master's program in data analytics would help me land one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoath View Post
Highly unusual for someone in their 40s to go for an internship. Can't say it's impossible but many career-changers have transitioned into actuarial without needing an internship (including myself).

Generally one would need some other marketable skill that one's picked up over years of working - IT skills, social skills. Engineers have a good reputation with IT skills, so if you develop those it would make sense.

If you continue to develop your data analytics skills, you may be able to get a position in an insurance company as a data analyst and then starting applying within the company (or other insurance companies) for actuarial roles.

Finally, you may need to widen your geographical search (I did), even if it means working a couple of years nowhere near where you want to be, then using that experience to apply for positions back in your desirable location.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:51 PM
CAS

Some actuarial departments will contain a couple of data analysts alongside the actuarial analysts. These can be people that have passed a few exams and have either decided not to continue with exams or they are using it as a stepping stone to get into an actuarial role. Some companies may even encourage them to continuing taking the exams.

Their role can be to liaise between actuarial and IT. They will have more actuarial knowledge than a typical IT person and more IT knowledge than a typical actuary. They can be doing tasks such as writing ad hoc queries as an initial investigation for the actuaries or designing tools for the actuaries to use which are then handed over to IT to productionize.

There may be similar positions not in the actuarial department, so I would look at positions that advertise "you'll be building/designing .... for the actuarial department". Often they'll mention what skills are required, so you could find out which ones are most desirable in your geographical area and try to make them your priority when selecting subjects in your Masters. You don't even have to finish the Masters to get the role - I would start applying as soon as you've started the first relevant subject.