Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 03-18-2020, 04:00 PM
Actuarial Outpost Administrator
Contact me: Send me a PM
or email me
tom.troceen@dwsimpson.com
CAS SOA COPA

Location: Sitting in front of a red button w/ your name on it
College: FSU ActSci Alumni
Favorite beer: Root

The virus's economic impact has been sudden and big, however, unlike previous recessions, this one is dependent on the public getting over the virus. So, in the long run, once this has taken its course, most people predict the economy will bounce back.

The clients we have talked to have been asking us to reassure their new hires that they want them to feel comfortable in their new role. Employers main hiring concern is not being able to connect with new candidates at conferences, and then not being able to easily bring them onsite.

This has led to many clients conducting Skype/FaceTime interviews, and being much more open to remote workers.

One of the key advantages of using a recruiter, is that we can ask employers the questions job seekers generally can't ask. If you (or anyone for that matter) have any specific COVID job related questions, feel free to email me at tom.troceen@dwsimpson.com. Chances are, we've talked to the hiring manager at this company and others. All have been more concerned with how they will adapt to this new environment, as oppose to a reduction in hiring, stock, etc.
Old 03-18-2020, 04:40 PM
CAS SOA

What about onboarding, Tom? My employer can't even convert all of its current employees to laptops for WFH. It seems like getting a new employee up and running in this environment is going to be challenging.
Old 03-18-2020, 06:41 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayesDeep View Post
So you're saying some of the demand decrease will be offset by higher mortality of the supply?
fo' sho'
Old 03-19-2020, 12:35 AM
CAS AAA

Studying for 5
Favorite beer: Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by actuary2 View Post
50% decrease in stock price

$HIG does not lay off actuaries en masse like $TRV.
As for rescinded offer - doubtful, given a contract has formed and you would have then relied on this offer of employment to your detriment. But IANAE
ACAS

Old 03-20-2020, 01:04 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by actuary2 View Post
I recently accepted an offer at a competing company and gave notice at my current role.

COVID has caused a bit of a scare through the economy. The company I'm looking to start at in a few weeks has seen a 50% decrease in stock price over the past month.

From my limited experience, these kinds of situations can cause a hiring freeze or even layoffs. How worried should I be that they will rescind my offer before I start, or that I'll be first on the chopping block when layoffs start?
are you coming to my company? lol
But I guess tons of companies in this industry have seen more than 50% drop in their stocks... this is a really scary time.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:42 AM
Actuarial Outpost Administrator
Contact me: Send me a PM
or email me
tom.troceen@dwsimpson.com
CAS SOA COPA

Location: Sitting in front of a red button w/ your name on it
College: FSU ActSci Alumni
Favorite beer: Root

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge View Post
What about onboarding, Tom? My employer can't even convert all of its current employees to laptops for WFH. It seems like getting a new employee up and running in this environment is going to be challenging.
Yes, it is indeed. We have several people that we've placed in the past week or two going through this now. All employers have admitted that there are some challenges, but those far outweigh the need to hire new staff to balance the current workload. They are simply adapting their on boarding procedure, and getting them set up to WFH as they would with any other employee.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:53 AM
SOA

Is there going to be any impact if your company is going through promotions evaluation right now? I mean technically if something is currently going on, the past few months or year is evaluated rather than the future. In your opinion, do you think the company does or even can look at the future implications of COVID and make the decision accordingly?

How about bonuses (that again, heavily depend on past employee and company performance instead of future implications)?
Old 03-23-2020, 01:51 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyGuy View Post
Is there going to be any impact if your company is going through promotions evaluation right now? I mean technically if something is currently going on, the past few months or year is evaluated rather than the future. In your opinion, do you think the company does or even can look at the future implications of COVID and make the decision accordingly?

How about bonuses (that again, heavily depend on past employee and company performance instead of future implications)?
Bonuses can and have been frozen even if the "official" calculation is based on past performance. In the US, management can pretty much make any decision they choose at a moments notice.
Usually while I'm reading, I'm actually thinking about...midgets riding toy horses - Roto

Old 03-23-2020, 02:02 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Formulaic bonuses are usually never objective. There's usually some criterion in there that can always be fudged or loosely interpreted to lower your bonus.

The only objective ones that I've encountered are those based off a % of billable hours or sales. Even then, who gets credit for the sale can also be manipulated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 03-23-2020, 04:50 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
Formulaic bonuses are usually never objective. There's usually some criterion in there that can always be fudged or loosely interpreted to lower your bonus.

The only objective ones that I've encountered are those based off a % of billable hours or sales. Even then, who gets credit for the sale can also be manipulated.
Our aggregate company bonus is subject to approval by the Board of Directors, so bonuses can be $0, no matter how well we meet targets.