Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 03-31-2020, 04:57 PM
SOA

Makes sense to me.

The issue is making it socially acceptable. Right now, in my neighborhood, you would be something of a pariah if you wore a mask. The right nudge from the CDC would turn that around in a week.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent View Post
Makes sense to me.

The issue is making it socially acceptable. Right now, in my neighborhood, you would be something of a pariah if you wore a mask. The right nudge from the CDC would turn that around in a week.
Well, whenever manufacturers can ship out a few tens of billions of them we can all wear them.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Makes sense to me.

But that is the problem. The CDC said for weeks (think January until now) that you didn't need to wear masks. Masks were only needed for those who had it and those caring for or spending lots of time with those who had it.

I took a trip the first part of March and was going to get a mask (mostly just for the plane) but there were tons of articles imploring that you didn't need a mask and that it might actually be worse for you if you did use a mask.

People believed them then and became convinced and now that they are changing their tune it is too late. They have lost their credibility.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:43 PM
SOA AAA

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...after-n1173231

Oh, kids, you didn't have to go on that Spring Break A WEEK AND A HALF AGO.

I don't think you need a mask to wear outside when there's no one around. Or in your car. I've seen a lot of that.
But, F*** yeah, for a plane ride. Or an Uber. Or any mass transportation. If you don't feel 100% or think that others around you are not 100% (and from whence you cannot get away), sure.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art

“That is reminiscent of Harry Truman’s famous saying, ‘The buck stops, uh, somewhere over there, maybe?' That is a level of dodging responsibility that Trump has been perfecting ever since he was very much not in Vietnam.” -- LWTwJO
Old 03-31-2020, 05:50 PM
CAS

Studying for Prostate exam
College: Hard Knocks

What a change a month makes. Polling results.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poll
In early March, a majority (52%) of Americans said that the coronavirus outbreak had not affected them personally in any way -- that has fallen to just 9%.

only 1% knew someone who had been infected; that is up to 13% now. The percent reporting a coronavirus outbreak in their local area has increased from 18% to 55%.

https://civiqs.com/reports/2020/3/31...ly-on-response
Old 03-31-2020, 05:56 PM

Cross referencing the JHU data and Kinsa data could produce some interesting analysis.

Nassau county in New York currently has 8544 confirmed cases and 48 deaths. CFR 0f 0.6%. The population of the county is 1.36 Million. Kinsa showed roughly a 2% peak in atypical readings on March 14th. 2% of the population would be 27,200, so the CFR is likely overstated by about 3x with 2/3rds never being tested.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:58 PM

Studying for EA-2L

Quote:
Makes sense to me.

I see a lot of people with masks in my hood. I still feel a little silly, thus didn't wear the crappy one I had from visiting my father in the hospital a month ago when I went to the supermarket today. maybe I should have. if i'm sick in a few days, that was a big mistake.
Spoiler:
Old 03-31-2020, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The President View Post
Cross referencing the JHU data and Kinsa data could produce some interesting analysis.

Nassau county in New York currently has 8544 confirmed cases and 48 deaths. CFR 0f 0.6%. The population of the county is 1.36 Million. Kinsa showed roughly a 2% peak in atypical readings on March 14th. 2% of the population would be 27,200, so the CFR is likely overstated by about 3x with 2/3rds never being tested.
NY has a positive test rate of about 37%. The 8,544 confirmed cases implies over 23,000 total tested.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:32 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuary321 View Post
But that is the problem. The CDC said for weeks (think January until now) that you didn't need to wear masks. Masks were only needed for those who had it and those caring for or spending lots of time with those who had it.

I took a trip the first part of March and was going to get a mask (mostly just for the plane) but there were tons of articles imploring that you didn't need a mask and that it might actually be worse for you if you did use a mask.

People believed them then and became convinced and now that they are changing their tune it is too late. They have lost their credibility.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/30/world...rnd/index.html

Quote:
"There is no specific evidence to suggest that the wearing of masks by the mass population has any potential benefit. In fact, there's some evidence to suggest the opposite in the misuse of wearing a mask properly or fitting it properly," Dr. Mike Ryan, executive director of the WHO health emergencies program, said at a media briefing in Geneva, Switzerland, on Monday.
"There also is the issue that we have a massive global shortage," Ryan said about masks and other medical supplies. "Right now the people most at risk from this virus are frontline health workers who are exposed to the virus every second of every day. The thought of them not having masks is horrific."
After watching people freak the funk out about toilet paper I support the "you don't need a mask" policy until the shortage is alleviated.

I used to do fit testing for masks. The big problem with a poorly fitted mask is the false sense of security.

ps: If everyone wears a mask then you know the sick ones are wearing a mask which is a definite benefit. If only the sick ones wear a mask, many sick ones will choose not to.

pps: At work I keep a mask in my pocket as most of us do. We put it on to keep crowds of people back. I'm busy sanitizing and providing a safe space I don't need your potentially infectious ass up in my grill.

Last edited by BlackPhillip; 03-31-2020 at 06:38 PM..
Old 03-31-2020, 07:08 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary View Post
Animated chart of Covid-19's deaths each day in the US until March 29, compared to the average per day of other leading causes of death:
https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/1712761/
The chart has been updated to include March 30. Now Covid-19 is the third leading cause of death in America (on a per-day basis), behind only heart disease and cancer.
"...there are two different types of Christianity. One is a movement of people who want to live and be like Jesus. The other (and far more common, far more powerful) is a civil and political religion that is simply named Christianity. The civil political religion named Christianity is addicted to both political power and violence, and thus finds the message of Jesus offensive." https://www.patheos.com/blogs/former...it-looks-like/