Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Finance - Investments > Non-Actuarial Personal Finance/Investing
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 03-31-2020, 01:57 PM
SOA

I don't think I can afford to buy a whole oil tanker, maybe a couple 5 gallon jugs though.
Old 03-31-2020, 03:51 PM
SOA

Studying for gonzo?
Favorite beer: gonzo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdsafdsa View Post
I kind of feel like more bad news is coming, think I'll defer my rebalance a bit at the risk of maybe losing some recovery.
yeah, you don't really know. Delta stops printing their inflight magazine, and the publisher goes out of business. There's still a lot of cascading effects probably not priced in.
Old 03-31-2020, 03:55 PM
SOA

Studying for gonzo?

on the other hand, if a viable vaccine/cure comes out next week, the market will shoot up like a rocket and you don't want to miss that
Old 03-31-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
on the other hand, if a viable vaccine/cure comes out next week, the market will shoot up like a rocket and you don't want to miss that
Eh, more likely the fed announces they are going to buy junk bonds and equities as well. Or the treasury and fed formally merge. The economy is pretty f'ed for a while.. just a matter of how much money central banks/govs print to paper over/avoid the asset deflation. It appears to be a lot!
Old 03-31-2020, 04:27 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdsafdsa View Post
I kind of feel like more bad news is coming, think I'll defer my rebalance a bit at the risk of maybe losing some recovery.
I like REITs, but I'm really hesitant to buy them at the moment. How many of their tenants (commercial, residential, professional, etc.) won't be making rent for April, May, possibly June, possibly July, possibly longer) and can they survive that + pay out dividends? Or do they cut dividends to preserve cash, presumably causing share price to fall?
Old 03-31-2020, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulzEMH View Post
Eh, more likely the fed announces they are going to buy junk bonds and equities as well. Or the treasury and fed formally merge. The economy is pretty f'ed for a while.. just a matter of how much money central banks/govs print to paper over/avoid the asset deflation. It appears to be a lot!

I really think the market should have gone down a lot more (and still should) and then a little bird reminded me that you don't fight the Fed and I put my money back in. The Fed doesn't always win in the short run, but they have to in the long run.
Old 03-31-2020, 04:41 PM
Free Mason

Studying for Let me worry about blank
Favorite beer: Trappistes Rochefort 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulzEMH View Post
Well, when you are fighting asset collapse in a fractional system, you need a butt load of money when the fractions start changing.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:22 PM
SOA

Studying for gonzo?

the recovery will be quick. mark my words. after 3+ months being cooped up indoors, when the virus is gone it's gonna be an extended worldwide block party
Old 04-01-2020, 12:40 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
the recovery will be quick. mark my words. after 3+ months being cooped up indoors, when the virus is gone it's gonna be an extended worldwide block party
I'm a bit doubtful that it'll be easy to travel internationally for awhile. After a 3+ month, economy crushing shutdown, I suspect many countries are going to be wary about reintroducing Covid-19 into their country.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:19 AM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal

I bought NCLH at $10.02 today. I haven't quite settled on an exit strategy yet.