Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > TV Shows, Movies, Books, etc
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 10-05-2016, 12:02 PM
SOA AAA

Well, seems only the arrogant F-bomber thinks he can. The others know how impossible it has become.

Like Chaos Theory according to Ian Malcom.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art

“That is reminiscent of Harry Truman’s famous saying, ‘The buck stops, uh, somewhere over there, maybe?' That is a level of dodging responsibility that Trump has been perfecting ever since he was very much not in Vietnam.” -- LWTwJO
Old 10-05-2016, 12:29 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthemyst View Post
Watched the pilot last night, not sure if I'll keep watching or not. It's a more interesting take on the premise than the original movie, but the whole "what darkness lurks in the hearts of man" thing can get kind of old, especially on HBO shows where said darkness is always basically the exact same rape fantasy.

Also, my husband and I found it very difficult to buy that the puppet-masters behind the scenes would have even the slightest expectation of being able to control the narrative, when they can't control what the guests do. I'm not sure I heard these numbers correctly, but it sounded like they said there were 1400 guests, and at another point they said 10% of the robots was 200, so there are roughly 2000 robots. That's practically an even split.
That depends on how precisely the narrative is written. If it's just a general sequence of events, that allows for a fairly wide latitude, since most guests won't be able to do really big, narrative-shifting things most of the time.

"I guess I just have a lower prior-expectation of humanity than you folks. You win for optimism, but I win for accuracy."
--Pseudolus

"I wonder if there's a lower bound on how dumb the internet can get. We gotta be getting close, right?"
--Mother of DragQueens
Old 10-05-2016, 12:36 PM
SOA AAA

Loved that part where arrogant F-bomber is awaiting his awesome monologue from the outlaw.... then a guest kills the outlaw before he gets to it.

Thinking about it now.... why is there a love story between two robots? Or are we simply seeing what happens when no human picks up the story/can? Teddy is a robot cast as a tourist! Even other tourists (chicks on the train, gang of second-time fun-seekers) spot him as one.

Also, when the bots are getting questioned in diagnostics, when will one of them say, "Well, now that you asked me, I DO wonder about my existence!"

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art

“That is reminiscent of Harry Truman’s famous saying, ‘The buck stops, uh, somewhere over there, maybe?' That is a level of dodging responsibility that Trump has been perfecting ever since he was very much not in Vietnam.” -- LWTwJO

Last edited by Dr T Non-Fan; 10-05-2016 at 12:51 PM..
Old 10-05-2016, 01:24 PM
SOA

Studying for FAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough Exams Already View Post
That depends on how precisely the narrative is written. If it's just a general sequence of events, that allows for a fairly wide latitude, since most guests won't be able to do really big, narrative-shifting things most of the time.
Seems like they'd be able to do big, narrative-shifting things whenever they feel like it. They're basically bored, immortal gods in this world. They don't even get penalized if a robot tries to shoot them.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:00 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthemyst View Post
Seems like they'd be able to do big, narrative-shifting things whenever they feel like it. They're basically bored, immortal gods in this world. They don't even get penalized if a robot tries to shoot them.
Most people are not so ambitious when they're on vacation. Most just spend their time partying, which is both predictable and not very narrative-shifting.

"I guess I just have a lower prior-expectation of humanity than you folks. You win for optimism, but I win for accuracy."
--Pseudolus

"I wonder if there's a lower bound on how dumb the internet can get. We gotta be getting close, right?"
--Mother of DragQueens
Old 10-05-2016, 04:50 PM
SOA

Studying for FAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough Exams Already View Post
Most people are not so ambitious when they're on vacation. Most just spend their time partying, which is both predictable and not very narrative-shifting.
Right...but there's 1400 of them, which is what I'm getting hung up on. There's not one dick in a group of 1400 people? In an environment where the main selling point is that it's a consequence-free simulation where you can let your darkest urges run wild?
Old 10-05-2016, 06:14 PM
SOA AAA

Apparently there is one dick: Ed Harris's character.

Also wondering where these guests go when they're tired. Is this a one-day vacation?
Just thinking about this now.

Old 10-06-2016, 01:47 PM
SOA AAA

Is the café latte hooker a robot? Didn't get killed in that last scene, was actually "saved" from the falling safe by the bad-guy host.

Old 10-06-2016, 01:54 PM
SOA AAA

I think they could solve their "things not going as planned" potential problem by employing live cue people or spotters to "guide" the robots through the scenes.
But will they ask me? No. This will go on for several seasons.

Also, was watching again last night (wife was watching for the first time), and wondered what the drawing on Kissy's scalp means to Ed Harris character.

Old 10-06-2016, 03:19 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Is the café latte hooker a robot? Didn't get killed in that last scene, was actually "saved" from the falling safe by the bad-guy host.
You mean Maeve (Thandie Newton)? She's a robot, IIRC.

--Pseudolus

--Mother of DragQueens

Tags
genitals