Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 03-18-2020, 12:22 PM
CAS

College: Ardnox
Favorite beer: The kind with alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1695814 View Post
I have query that joins two tables, ReservesCurr & ReservesPrev, by Policy.
In each table is a field called "Reserve".

In my output, it is (automatically) labeling those "Reserve" & "Reserve1".

I'd rather have it be something more descriptive. Even ReservesCurr.Reserve & ReservesPrev.Reserve would be useful.

I don't know how to do that.
In the query design screen, you can assign new field names to the output of the query

In the top row, one cell might read "ReservesCurr: [ReservesCurr].[Reserve]", while another cell might read "ReservesPrev: [ReservesPrev].[Reserve]".

By doing that, you assign field name "ReservesCurr" to the "Reserves" value coming from table ReservesCurr, and you assign field name "ReservesPrev" to the other one.

This tactic also comes in handy when doing aggregate queries, and you don't want automatic field names like "SumOfReserves".
Old 03-31-2020, 05:08 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for nothing. I quit.
Favorite beer: Root

I get "Enter Parameter Value" pop up boxes when I run this query:
Quote:
SELECT [ValuationPrev].TYPE
, [ValuationCurr].TYPE
, [ValuationPrev].CO
, [ValuationCurr].CO
, [ValuationPrev].LOB
, [ValuationCurr].LOB
, Sum([ValuationPrev].PREMIUM) AS SumOfPREMIUM
, Sum([ValuationCurr].PREMIUM) AS SumOfPREMIUM1
, Sum(IIf([ValuationPrev].[BASE]=1,[CtPrev]=1,[CtPrev]=0)) AS Expr1
, Sum(IIf([ValuationCurr].[BASE]=1,[CtCurr]=1,[CtCurr]=0)) AS Expr2

FROM [ValuationCurr] INNER JOIN [ValuationPrev] ON [ValuationCurr].POLICY = [ValuationPrev].POLICY

GROUP BY [ValuationPrev].TYPE, [ValuationCurr].TYPE, [ValuationPrev].CO, [ValuationCurr].CO, [ValuationPrev].LOB, [ValuationCurr].LOB;
The box notes "CtPrev" & then "CtCurr". I imagine it's the bolded above that's causing it. I don't previously have a variable called "CtPrev" nor "CtCurr". Do those need to be initialized/formatted/somethinged?

What I'm trying to do here is, merge/join records from the previous & current valuation files. For those policies where "[BASE]" is equal to one, that means the Count s/b equal to one. Otherwise, it should be zero.

I imagine I just don't have the syntax correct.

Last edited by 1695814; 03-31-2020 at 05:45 PM..
Old 04-01-2020, 03:32 PM
Non-Actuary

, Sum(IIf([ValuationPrev].[BASE]=1,1,0)) AS [CtPrev]
, Sum(IIf([ValuationCurr].[BASE]=1,1,0)) AS [CtCurr]
Old 04-01-2020, 06:18 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
I get "Enter Parameter Value" pop up boxes when I run this query:

The box notes "CtPrev" & then "CtCurr". I imagine it's the bolded above that's causing it. I don't previously have a variable called "CtPrev" nor "CtCurr". Do those need to be initialized/formatted/somethinged?

What I'm trying to do here is, merge/join records from the previous & current valuation files. For those policies where "[BASE]" is equal to one, that means the Count s/b equal to one. Otherwise, it should be zero.

I imagine I just don't have the syntax correct.
Yes. Access is saying I don't know what CtPrev is. It is expecting an expression where you typed CtPrev = 1, so it said "aha a boolean! what is CtPrev?", even though you thought you were giving it an assignment statement.

It look like you want a summary on all matches where old.policyno = new.policyno, grouping by the old.type, new.type, old.co, new.co, old.lob, new.lob. For each grouping you want the total of the old.premium and new.premium and two "new" variables. One is the count of (old.base =1), the other is the count of (new.base = 1).

Meshuga's answer is right. the AS syntax is where you are giving the new column a name. Note that the name is just a display feature within this query (if it were nested, then you could use the name in a higher level). Personally, I would change the two lines above to read AS SumPrevPremium AS SumCurrPremium instead of SumPremium, SumPremium1.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:51 PM
SOA AAA

Is there an easy way to re-order fields in a query?

Right now I have a query that summarizes premium, face, and count by LOB, but that I really want is a summary of count, premium, and face by LOB.

Access doesn't act like Excel insofar as moving stuff around. I'll probably just resort to messing with the SQL code.
Old 04-02-2020, 01:49 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Is there an easy way to re-order fields in a query?

Right now I have a query that summarizes premium, face, and count by LOB, but that I really want is a summary of count, premium, and face by LOB.

Access doesn't act like Excel insofar as moving stuff around. I'll probably just resort to messing with the SQL code.
If I remember the Access graphical interface (whatever view it is called), you just drag and drop to change order.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:03 PM
SOA AAA

If I have a bunch of work books open in Excel, I can close the active one by ctrl+w or alt-f-c.

Is there something similar in Access? I have a bunch of queries (or other objects) open and would like to close the active one without using the mouse.
Old 05-08-2020, 10:25 AM
SOA AAA

I inherited a big db that has a bunch of queries & such.

In one of those it creates a variable called INTERPFACTOR that's used in a number of queries at the end.

Is there an easy way to find the query where INTERPFACTOR is created? I'd like to see what goes in to it, but am having trouble finding where it's declared & built & all that.
Old 05-08-2020, 12:23 PM
SOA AAA

Might be a VBA thing?

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art

“That is reminiscent of Harry Truman’s famous saying, ‘The buck stops, uh, somewhere over there, maybe?' That is a level of dodging responsibility that Trump has been perfecting ever since he was very much not in Vietnam.” -- LWTwJO
Old 05-08-2020, 12:53 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Might be a VBA thing?
Not in this case. I happen to know that there was a previous "Make Table Query" where this variable was defined with an expression.

I'm hoping that there's some way to easily find that query so I can study the expression.

Tags
access