Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 06-03-2005, 10:19 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for nothing. I quit.
Favorite beer: Root

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Actuary
How long is this running?
Until the current project is concluded ...and then they'll move onto some other project
Old 06-03-2005, 10:50 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: KCCO Gold Lager

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1695814
Until the current project is concluded ...and then they'll move onto some other project
Ok, just cause I'm not sure how long it'll be before I get the cable company out to hook everything up.

But I usually leave my PC on day and night....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawl316 View Post
I like playing with myself
Old 06-03-2005, 11:02 AM

Favorite beer: Beer?! Blech. But Dad likes Dortmunder Union.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollywog
getting internet at home tomorrowwwwwwwwww!! I for sure will be upping my number!
On deck: 200% Pure Evil
EB's rules for AO political: 1. A responder who replies "who cares?", cares deeply. 1a. a responder who replies LMAO, or similar, agrees with me. 2. It's always funnier when EB says it. - Lucy (Whomever she was) 3. Don't assume I'm trying to convince you, or indeed, any Hillary or Bernie supporter. 4. If my posts are so blatantly wrong, why are you so insistent in following me? I'll not take you home! 5. I'm not happy until you're not happy. 6. "You sir are no racist. You seem to condescend to everyone equally. I salute you." - Rain in Africa.

"If you're not annoying somebody, you're not really alive." -- Margaret Atwood
Old 06-03-2005, 02:53 PM

Favorite beer: Four Loko
Question

Mine hasn't been doing anything for the past two days now. I have it running, but it sits at 0%, the white box under "Primary Task Information" is blank, etc. Is is just me? Is it something I said?

Old 06-03-2005, 11:19 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudolus
Mine hasn't been doing anything for the past two days now. I have it running, but it sits at 0%, the white box under "Primary Task Information" is blank, etc. Is is just me? Is it something I said?
you could try the forum, http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/index

I don't know...
Old 06-04-2005, 12:43 AM

Favorite beer: Mountain Dew

I did this before with my old computer and had the same problem. I wasn't sure if the net congestion wasn't letting the download finish or if UD was asking too much of my old computer. In any event I eventually gave up and uninstalled or disabled the program.

I'm hoping for a better result with a more up to date computer now but I'm still on the same old dialup connection.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:06 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudolus
Um, this doesn't sound like the reason, but I'll post it anyway:

Quote:
Windows XP Service Pack 2 introduces a feature called "Data Execution Prevention" which can cause the World Community Grid agent to give the "agent paused" message after the server download. Until we find a way to correct this problem, you can work around it by turning this feature off for the UD.exe program in the WorldCommunityGrid installation directory. Go to Control Panel-> System-> Advanced-> Performance Settings-> DataExecutionPrevention. Either disable DEP for all programs or add the World Community Grid Agent in the list of exceptions. Click on ADD, and locate the UD.exe program within the install directory, the default being "C:Program Files\WorldCommunityGrid\UD.exe". Click Apply. Then reboot so that the new setting takes effect. Until we fix this problem, you will need to repeat this process if we update the WorldCommunityGrid agent. We announce these updates in the news area of the member area forum.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:09 AM
SOA AAA

Ahhhhh, this could be it:

Quote:
A few members may notice that their agent is stuck at 0% progress and when they go to the graphics window, (i) icon, they see NO molecule picture. We have tracked this down to two very unusual gene sequences for which the Rosetta program will not be able to produce a useful result. If left as is, Rosetta will continue to attempt to process the gene sequence and reach a timeout point within about a couple of weeks. At that point, it would stop processing this gene, send whatever it has done back to the servers, credit your agent with points, and get new work. However, in this particular case, unlike others where the Rosetta program sometimes seems to not make progress for hours but DOES show a molecule picture, we know that it will not be providing us with any useful information. We have removed the work units associated with these problem genes. For those members that received them, we would like to give you the opportunity to have your machine work on a different work unit, which would let your machine do more useful processing in the next weeks. Below, we will tell you how to identify and remedy the situation. We will also send an email to the affected members in case they do not view these forums and want to move to the next work unit before the time-out period expires.

There is a small chance that your agent has already gone on to a new work unit. Here is how you can tell if it has. If the progress shows 0%, and the agent has been actively running for at least 10 minutes, and if you leave and reenter the graphics screen and it does NOT show a molecule within about 2 minutes, then you have one of the two problem gene sequences which cause this problem in Rosetta. Otherwise, your agent is working normally and you should disregard this.

If you do have the above conditions, here is how you can stop the work unit early and have the agent download a new work unit, which will let your machine do more useful processing. However, unfortunately the vendor software is written such that it will not credit you with any points for the work done so far on this problem gene.

If you have a Windows 98 system, press ctrl-alt-del. A Close Program window should appear. Select the program called "Wcgrid_rosetta" and click on the "End Task" box. After a small period of time, your agent should automatically recover.

If you have a Windows 2000 or XP system, press ctrl-alt-del. Choose the "Task Manager" from the pop-up that appears. Click on the Processes tab. Look for an Image Name of "WCGrid_Rosetta." Click on this and then click the "EndProcess" box and click ok for the warning box and close the task manager. After a small period of time, your agent should automatically recover.

If you are unfamiliar with how to look at he grid agent and the graphics screen, please refer to this forum post: http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/fo...ad?thread=1442

If you have any additional problems or need further help please feel free to contact us via the web site support link at: http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ab...ewContactUs.do

We have contacted the researchers for the project so we can get a fix for the Rosetta program so that this does not happen again with any future genes that we will be processing.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:15 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macroman
I'm hoping for a better result with a more up to date computer now but I'm still on the same old dialup connection.
Did you ever get past this problem or is it still bogging you down?
Old 06-22-2005, 02:30 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: KCCO Gold Lager

Thanks for bumping this...I had forgotten. I got internet at the condo earlier this week. Now I'll have to set this up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawl316 View Post
I like playing with myself