Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Probability
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Probability Old Exam P Forum

Old 05-08-2015, 09:06 PM
CAS SOA

Angry Is it possible to cover TIA in 2 weeks?

Hey guys, I just finished Calc 3 this semester. I've been told to study for 1/P while calc is fresh, so I bought TIA.

I went through the first 1/3 of the lessons in one week. Is it possible to finish the rest of the lessons as well as prep in time to take the exam sometime around May 23rd?
My finals end May 12th, so I'll be able to fully commit to studying from the 13th on. I will desperately bury myself in study material if this task seems possible.

The reason why I'm in a rush is because I have to work full time at a camp for over a month starting May 25th. I obviously don't want to pay for an exam I'm not likely to pass, but even as I type this I wonder if I should be studying.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:08 PM
David Revelle

It depends heavily on your ability. I think it would be quite hard, but there have been some very talented people who have done it. In surveys that we have done, students who spend more than 100 hours studying pass at significantly higher rates than those who spend less than 100 hours studying, so while I hate to emphasize an exact number of study hours, I would aim to get in at least that much. Doing so in a productive way is hard given your time constraints, as you can only study so much per day before your brain explodes. (Pass rates actually start to go back down among people who spend more than 150 hours working through the material, perhaps because taking too long correlates with a weaker math background.)

My recollection, without trying to find a way to look at data, is that current math majors tend to spend 2-3 months working through the seminar. 1 month is not super rare, but 2 weeks is. The main reason why I'm not saying it is out of the question is that you say you have worked through a significant portion of the material in a short amount of time. But unless you have also been working through the practice problems and doing well on them, that could be misleading.

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn
Old 05-08-2015, 10:37 PM
CAS SOA

Thanks for your input! If I'm going to try to pass, I don't have another minute to waste. Maybe I can add another outlier to your data.

I'm going to sit for the exam. It's good experience anyway. If I fail, I'll just use it as motivation to study even harder for my next attempt.

Cheers!
Old 05-09-2015, 01:58 AM
CAS

Studying for 1/P
College: St. John's University
Favorite beer: Angry Orchard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elie Fraser View Post
Thanks for your input! If I'm going to try to pass, I don't have another minute to waste. Maybe I can add another outlier to your data.

I'm going to sit for the exam. It's good experience anyway. If I fail, I'll just use it as motivation to study even harder for my next attempt.

Cheers!
Did you register for the exam yet? Because the registration deadline was sometime in April.
P | FM | MFE | MLC | C
Economics | Applied Statistics | Corporate Finance

"Those who fail to plan, plan to fail. Therefore, I must plan my work, and work my plan."