Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Probability
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Probability Old Exam P Forum

Old 05-18-2015, 06:12 PM
SOA

College: Northwestern University

I passed yesterday. Would be shocked if I got any questions wrong.

The exam was MUCH easier than I expected. The questions were all on the level of the first 100 soa problems (bar a few clever ones that took a while). I studied using ASM, which I highly recommend against. Great textbook, terrible study guide. Overstudied by so much.

It's actually, at the end of the day, a really straightforward exam. No need to stress.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:14 PM
SOA

College: UCLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apricity View Post
I passed yesterday. Would be shocked if I got any questions wrong.

The exam was MUCH easier than I expected. The questions were all on the level of the first 100 soa problems (bar a few clever ones that took a while). I studied using ASM, which I highly recommend against. Great textbook, terrible study guide. Overstudied by so much.

It's actually, at the end of the day, a really straightforward exam. No need to stress.
wow! is it really that easy??? I've done the soa 240 and 4 TIA exams?? Will I be in a good shape? haha
Old 05-18-2015, 06:43 PM
SOA

I just replied to your PM, but I'll give my thoughts here for others.

I did ASM, ACTEX, SOA 240, and a few random exams I found online. Maybe my judgement of the difficulty of the exam was skewed by how hard the practice exams I did were (thanks ASM), but I think a 21 is achievable with just a basic understanding of poisson, exponential, combinatorics and laws or probability.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:06 PM
CAS

Studying for 1/P
College: St. John's University
Favorite beer: Angry Orchard

Quote:
I just replied to your PM, but I'll give my thoughts here for others.

I did ASM, ACTEX, SOA 240, and a few random exams I found online. Maybe my judgement of the difficulty of the exam was skewed by how hard the practice exams I did were (thanks ASM), but I think a 21 is achievable with just a basic understanding of poisson, exponential, combinatorics and laws or probability.
So you're saying that a majority of the exam was a doable difficulty and that it mainly consisted of Poisson, exponential, basic probability concepts, combinations/permutations (possibly hypergeometric?), and that the remaining 10 or so questions fulfilled the multivariate requirement?
P | FM | MFE | MLC | C
Economics | Applied Statistics | Corporate Finance

"Those who fail to plan, plan to fail. Therefore, I must plan my work, and work my plan."
Old 05-18-2015, 07:17 PM
SOA

All of the exam was, in my opinion, of a doable difficulty. You are correct on the main areas tested on the exam--I encountered no hypergeometric distributions, and no gamma thank the lord. There were barely any multivariate questions--maybe 3 or 4.

The hardest questions (there were 2 that threw me off for a while) were just...really odd. One had to do with this whacked up multivariate uniform distribution, and the other one had to do with mutlivariate conditional variance (but I had done a similar problem before so thankfully I didn't need to do the math during the test).
Old 05-18-2015, 07:38 PM
CAS

Studying for 1/P

Quote:
All of the exam was, in my opinion, of a doable difficulty. You are correct on the main areas tested on the exam--I encountered no hypergeometric distributions, and no gamma thank the lord. There were barely any multivariate questions--maybe 3 or 4.

The hardest questions (there were 2 that threw me off for a while) were just...really odd. One had to do with this whacked up multivariate uniform distribution, and the other one had to do with mutlivariate conditional variance (but I had done a similar problem before so thankfully I didn't need to do the math during the test).
Thank the Lord indeed LOL.. I usually end up approaching hypergeometric problems as Bayes/Counting and at the end realize it's hyper.

Multivariate conditional variances are the worst IMO, just because of how tedious they are. I'll keep my eyes out for it on Thursday, though.

Congratulations on passing, by the way!
P | FM | MFE | MLC | C

"Those who fail to plan, plan to fail. Therefore, I must plan my work, and work my plan."
Old 05-18-2015, 07:40 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjbarden View Post
I usually end up approaching hypergeometric problems as Bayes/Counting and at the end realize it's hyper.
Now that you mention it, there was a hypergeometric problem on the test...whoops haha.

Thanks. Sending good vibes in your general direction.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:54 PM
CAS

Studying for 1/P

Quote:
Now that you mention it, there was a hypergeometric problem on the test...whoops haha.

Haha well Coaching Actuaries had a great hypergeometric tip: if you have (x a)(y b) / (z c) translated as "x choose a" times "y choose b" divided by "z choose c", you can know if you set up the equation correctly by the following check:

x + y = z
a + b = c

Pretty neat!

Also, appreciating the general vibes, dude.
P | FM | MFE | MLC | C

Old 05-18-2015, 08:04 PM
SOA

College: UCLA

Quote:

so was there an actual hypergeometric question on the test?
Old 05-18-2015, 09:13 PM
SOA

solvable using basic probability concepts, but yes