Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment > Resume & Cover Letter Advice Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 01-04-2020, 03:59 PM
SOA

Default Resume, Looking for an Entry Level Position

Here is my resume.

1. I was accepted into medical school, attended for one month, and then withdrew. A mentor told me to put this on my resume as some people know how hard it is to get into medical school and would be impressed. I also had someone tell me to leave it off. What do you think?

2. As you can see, there's a gap of two years in between passing FM and IFM. Is this okay? Does this make it look like I failed IFM 6 times within those 2 years?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Resume for AO to review.pdf (158.1 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by jds33; 01-15-2020 at 09:22 PM..
Old 01-05-2020, 01:47 AM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

I think I get why you have the jobs set up the way you have. I'm wondering if there isn't a better way to stress the good parts of Kinkos-y and still get across that you're absentee.

Maybe you can make the Kinkos-y job only go until the purchase and just cover the purchase in a bullet (so you got things running so well/profitably that you bought it and hired new management to continue what you set up?). That might get across easier that you don't consider "owner" a job. If you do this, it would probably work best to just focus completely on that and not on the accounts and billing and website. It is a hugely obvious topic to talk about in an interview. You definitely don't want the reader to miss it.

And if you do this, the gap in the exams (which is what it is, btw, don't worry about it other than explanation if asked) seems pretty obvious - you'd just bought the company and were setting it up to run with the new manager, etc. When you had that set up, you went back to passing exams and teaching, all while being owner. So that should be an incredibly easy explanation. It could hardly be better, right?

TO DONATE, OR FOR MORE INFO, CLICK HERE
Old 01-05-2020, 01:59 AM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

Since it was concurrent with other stuff, tutor doesn't really seem necessary. It just takes up space and makes the timeline more confusing.

And I'd be tempted to simplify the sub teacher part, too. Can you lump it all together rather than splitting by district? And maybe even by date range, although I"m not sure of that.

And I might get rid of the second math teacher bullet. Again, that would be with the idea that you really just want to make sure the reader just gets the point of the Kinkos-y section.

I'd not use italics, as it is harder to read.

I'd abbreviate B.S.

Your parenthetical GPA stuff seems really tiny. I'd try to write it without the parenthesis.

Your general skills pretty much contains stuff that you've already covered and stuff this is just irrelevant.

I'd not bother listing "MS", Word, or Adobe stuff. I'd list VBA as separate from Excel (so comma, not slash).

Old 01-05-2020, 02:06 AM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

If we're voting, I vote against med school. You've got something better to sell.

Old 01-06-2020, 07:46 AM
SOA AAA

College: Utah State University
Favorite beer: Yards IPA

What's your basis for your programming skills? If I saw that resume, I'd be skeptical that you have any of those. Not sure how, but if possible I'd put something more concrete to sell that you actually know how to do that.

This whole resume looks a little tricky. Not sure if there any local employers, but I'd hit that hard. While I agree searching nationally is important, your resume screams local loyalty and I doubt you'll get a lot of offers outside of local ones. You look like a candidate that.

Kinkos:

You say you're the owner, but also proxy owner. Which is it? I'm hoping there's some work here you could leverage. I'd think about any of the work you did, is it in excel? If so state that explicitly here. Even the web design if you wrote the HTML I'd put that over "managed". Managed is vague.

Substitute: I'd put these together, nobody cares what districts it was.

Now for your questions:

1) I'm not sure it matters. I doubt it well help, but also don't think it would hurt. You could easily find space for it, but I probably wouldn't bother.

2) Failed, or more likely stopped sitting. It doesn't look great, but there's not much you can do here.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:02 AM
CAS

I think it's bachelor of science, not bachelors of science
Old 01-15-2020, 10:01 AM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

First, check your properties . . . the document isn't necessarily as anonymous as you might think.

Second, with respect to your first question, I would offer the following questions to consider:
  1. Why would to potential employer care about that experience? Furthermore, what experience did you get being there for only 1 month?

2. What perception would a reader have seeing that you were only in that program for one month along with seeing that you've only been a full-time teacher for less than 1 year?

IMO, the med school angle has very little up-side to it. It does have enough down-side that your resume gets put into the "NO" pile. Furthermore, are you ready to answer tough questions about it? One key to a successful interview is being ready to talk at length about anything found on your resume; why put yourself in an up-hill battle from the start?

Other comments/questions about content:
  1. What percentage of your full-time work hours was spent actually substitute teaching?

2. Why do full-time teaching in addition to working at Printing Shop?

3. What qualities are you hoping to communicate with these experiences given that you already have gainful employment at Printing Shop?

4. How long were you a manager at Printing Shop before becoming the owner?
    • I wouldn't but "owner-related" responsibilities as bullets. Those will automatically be inferred simply by the fact that you are the owner.

• What was your annual cash-flow? How many employees did you manage (both as manager and as owner)? These items would be of far more interest to a potential employer and not known by any reader; so these are the things to put on a resume. More specific details about how you managed/operated are better addressed in an interview.

• You might also consider looking at how the business grew (either in operations or profits) over the time you were the manager and owner.

• In light of the last bullet, I would be inclined to take out "proxy owner" as that would be better explained in an interview. In fact, you might be better served as identifying yourself only as a manager and talk about your "proxy ownership" in an interview if this "proxy" is truly something higher than a manager but less than a full owner (or partner).

5. I wouldn't bother putting in your tutoring experience in the "work experience" as it would be counter-productive, IMO. Instead, put it in with Skills & Interest section.

6. In your General Skills:
    • Don't say something that you've already shown with relevant experience.

• Far better to demonstrate that you've used a given skill through work experience than to say that you have it. Listing that you've worked as a tutor is a declaration that you have that skill (and makes a stronger statement; anyone can say that they can tutor, even if they've not done it)

• As I stated earlier, be ready to talk at length about anything on your resume. How many kids did you tutor? What grades and/or math subject? What were the typical difficulties your students had? How did you assess their difficulties and give an example of how you addressed them?

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 01-15-2020, 10:04 AM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

As for Q2 of the OP: I've generally found that you're as good as your last passed Exam. Most won't care about the 2 year gap in terms of deciding to bring you in for an interview; but you will most certainly get asked about that gap.

Again, the gap isn't the red-flag; but how you addressed it and talk about it will be far more important than having that gap. The fact that your resume indicates that you're passing while working (full-time) will be to your advantage, regardless of gaps.

You might consider adding what Exam you plan on sitting for next as well.

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES