Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Finance - Investments > Non-Actuarial Personal Finance/Investing
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 01-22-2020, 10:38 AM

Favorite beer: pilseners

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulzEMH View Post
InsideEV's is more reasonable than Electrek. But even the latter is running a bit about Tesla charging people for expensive software upgrades that they claim they didn't buy or it was a but dial. Either way, its single click purchase and non refundable. Man Tesla treats their customers like crap.

https://electrek.co/2020/01/15/tesla...upgrades-musk/
The media spin war on tesla is pretty interesting.

Today cleantechnica apologized for straight reporting on a "Sudden Unintended Acceleration" petition that it turns out was created by a short-seller who doesn't own a Tesla. And blamed the thing on trusting another source.

Spoiler:
First of all, I’ll say that I think we f***ed up by publishing an article on this topic that lacked important context and included misleading framing. I think that stemmed from trusting the reporting of a couple of normally good and thorough publications, and also from not digging deeply enough into the story independently.

It brings up some interesting ethical questions on the nature of Shorting and also a good reminder that the misinformation age we live in extends past the Trump and Russia walls into Wallstreet.

(That's not to say what this guy did is unethical-- in some sense it must be good to have shorts looking for problems... It's just interesting)
Old 01-22-2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post

It brings up some interesting ethical questions on the nature of Shorting and also a good reminder that the misinformation age we live in extends past the Trump and Russia walls into Wallstreet.

(That's not to say what this guy did is unethical-- in some sense it must be good to have shorts looking for problems... It's just interesting)
I think he just summarized reports to some other gov entity. He has been collecting it and organizing it for a few months now.

I tend to think that the SUA issue is most likely just user mistakes. Ed Niedermeyer sp? has discussed this issue on podcast that its almost always been user mistakes (he discussed the Toyota one, which I thought was real and suggested that it was way overblown by our gov). With the super torquey teslas a screw up is much more likely to result in an accident. Still these are unintended accelerations (people clearly don't want to drive into buildings trying to park) so maybe its flagging another issue... that too much torque is a safety issue, that maybe the controls are misleading (a few people stated that accidentally turning on cruise control? even from stop made it start accelerating)...etc.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:48 AM

The battery fires seem like a bigger issue.. or their usage of goodwill instead of warranty coding to do fixes.
Old 01-22-2020, 01:36 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

TSLA now worth more than $100B

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-t...-idUSKBN1ZL24Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:18 PM

And Trump compares Musk to the inventor of the wheel.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:53 PM
Free Mason

Studying for Let me worry about blank
Favorite beer: Trappistes Rochefort 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulzEMH View Post
And Trump compares Musk to the inventor of the wheel.
Ah yes, Baron Von Wheel.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:02 PM
Free Mason

So, does the market think Tesla is going to get 30% market share (GM + Ford number) or have insanely profitable cars, like 50 times more profitable than other car makers, to justify this market valuation?

Or the battery walls are worth the money, and the car company isn't part of it.
Old 01-23-2020, 05:38 PM
COPA

I know this is about Telsa/Musk (is not everything?) it looks, after reading Einhorns latest letter that he now uses Puts instead of shorts on tesla and its a immaterial part of his portfolio. Here is his take on GM, I paraphrase:

Quote:
owned number of years, cheap stock, but cash flow has come up short for one reason or another (strike, restructuring, investments in plants ect., pension plans) so it can better face future economic/business challenges.

we believe 2020 is the year where it all finally comes together for GM. The full size pickup truck and SUV platforms have been fully updated. Dealers need to rebuild supply that was reduced during the strike, the restructuring is complete, China sales will stabilize, Gm financial is over capitalized. consensus is 6.36 per share, we think 7 or more is possible. GM should begin repurchasing shares at a healthy clip. GM Cruise is another source of upside.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:22 AM

Favorite beer: pilseners

Quote:
Musk also downplayed the near-term functionality of FSD, which despite its name, is not synonymous with fully autonomous driving. “Feature complete just means [the car] has some chance of going from your home to work without intervention. That doesn’t mean the features are working well.” Musk further specified that the FSD software will provide an “above zero” chance that your car can successfully guide itself from one place to another.
In unrelated news, the stock jumped another 10% today.
Old 01-30-2020, 12:44 PM
Free Mason

Hey, they earned $2! So it makes total sense.

This is classic fomo. It's the same crowd who pushed up crypto, and then weed, and now Tesla. Investing is about memes and predicting the next stupid thing the crowd will blow money into based on their internet feed.