Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Probability
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Probability Old Exam P Forum

Old 02-15-2015, 01:38 PM
CAS Non-Actuary

Studying for FM
College: University of Akron
Default Best course of action?

Hello,

I am a freshman taking Calculus II this semester. I did well in Calc I and am doing pretty well in Calc II so far. I see that exam P is offered in mid-late July of this year. I was originally planning to begin studying around May 10th, when I get off of school. This gives me approximately 10 weeks to study. I have nothing going on over the summer, so I could put in many hours a day. Do you think this would work, or should I try to begin maybe in April? Also, what would is generally regarded as the best study manual?
Old 02-15-2015, 02:13 PM
CAS

10 weeks should be enough. Depending on your level of comfort with the material, you can always adjust the number of hours you need to put in each week.

I'd recommend ACTEX study manual + SoA sample questions + TIA free practice exams.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:26 PM
CAS

Didn't use it, but there's also a free guide from Marcel Finan. It should be easy enough to find online.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:38 PM
CAS Non-Actuary

Studying for FM

Okay, thank you! I will look into the manuals you suggested.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:39 PM
CAS

Studying for 1/P
College: St. John's University
Favorite beer: Angry Orchard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdh22 View Post
I did well in Calc I and am doing pretty well in Calc II so far.
A lot of freshman actuaries jump to the conclusion that since they do well in calculus they will do fine on the exam (even with studying)... I know from personal experience that P is a whole other beast, and while some might be able to easily score 25/30 (as seen on AO fairly often), I would say practice before you register instead of wasting the $225 taking it your first time. Know that you're getting a consistent 16-18/30 and then use the weeks leading up to the exam to get yourself to at least a 22/30.

Unless you're a natural. Then by all means good luck!
P | FM | MFE | MLC | C
Economics | Applied Statistics | Corporate Finance

"Those who fail to plan, plan to fail. Therefore, I must plan my work, and work my plan."
Old 02-15-2015, 08:05 PM
CAS Non-Actuary

Studying for FM

I would still plan on putting in 300 or more hours spaced out over 10 weeks. Should I plan on more? I know it is subjective, but I'm just looking for a rough estimate.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:16 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjbarden View Post
A lot of freshman actuaries jump to the conclusion that since they do well in calculus they will do fine on the exam (even with studying)... I know from personal experience that P is a whole other beast, and while some might be able to easily score 25/30 (as seen on AO fairly often), I would say practice before you register instead of wasting the $225 taking it your first time. Know that you're getting a consistent 16-18/30 and then use the weeks leading up to the exam to get yourself to at least a 22/30.

Unless you're a natural. Then by all means good luck!

He's still planning on studying. You may need to put in a few more hours than someone who's taken more math classes, but you seem to be in a good spot.

Guage your progress with practice exams. Keep studying until you can consistently do well on them and you'll do great
Old 02-15-2015, 08:20 PM
CAS

Quote:
I would still plan on putting in 300 or more hours spaced out over 10 weeks. Should I plan on more? I know it is subjective, but I'm just looking for a rough estimate.
There's no set amount of hours that will make you ready. It depends on a lot of things such as:

-how much you already know
-how quickly you can master the material
-how productive you are (some people get much more done in an hour than others )

Obviously not a compete list, but you get the picture. Take practice exams under real exam conditions- no music, no looking at formula sheet, strict time limit, etc. That'll tell you how prepared you are. If you're doing poorly, just keep chugging until you do better.

Best of luck on the exam.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:11 PM
CAS Non-Actuary

Studying for FM

Thanks! I will keep those tips in mind. I know the feeling will fade but I'm excited to get started lol.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:24 PM
CAS

Quote:
Thanks! I will keep those tips in mind. I know the feeling will fade but I'm excited to get started lol.
I've been there