Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Probability
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Probability Old Exam P Forum

Old 05-20-2015, 03:19 PM
CAS

College: WNEC
Default Failed exam P, suggestions on study approach

Hello All....

I recently took exam P back in February. I've been out of school 10 years now so I had to refresh myself with much of the material. Then I studied for 3-4 months roughly 15 hours a week. I purchased the Infinite actuary course and really focused on their practice exams and the SOA practice questions. I purchased ADAPT for 2 weeks in which I didn't feel great leading up to the exam as I was stuck around level 3-4.

With that said, I ended up getting a 3. I felt the exam was much, much harder than my study material, especially the SOA 153. I had those down prior to exam. I expected to see more topics also from what I read on here. I felt like exam covered only 40% of what I studied, and a lot of what I was uncomfortable with unfortunately. Any suggestions on how to approach my studying differently for next time?

Appreciate any feedback.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:50 PM
SOA

College: Alumni University of Waterloo

If you could only get to level 3-4 adapt then you likely didn't have the SOA questions down pat the way you needed to. Basically, you had those 153 memorized but lacked the actual knowledge on how you go about getting those answers.

Not trying to be rude, just trying to give you more insight in that regard, because if you truly had those 153 down pat and knew what they were about then you should have had no problem passing.

My suggestion would be to start with the basics of probability and try to learn how the basics are derived. If you really get the basics down then that a lone should get you further then you did the first time.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:33 PM
SOA

College: Graduate, Bsc Accounting and Finance

What is SOA 153? Is that for free?
Old 05-20-2015, 04:40 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarimZ View Post
What is SOA 153? Is that for free?
Yes. Here they are.

http://www.soa.org/files/edu/edu-exa...mple-quest.pdf

AO 2018 Political Bingo
Spoiler:
Old 05-20-2015, 04:42 PM

Studying for Phoenix MBA
College: DeVry University - Online Lincoln Campus
Favorite beer: Mike's Hard Triple Berry Blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrat05 View Post
Hello All....

I recently took exam P back in February. I've been out of school 10 years now so I had to refresh myself with much of the material. Then I studied for 3-4 months roughly 15 hours a week. I purchased the Infinite actuary course and really focused on their practice exams and the SOA practice questions. I purchased ADAPT for 2 weeks in which I didn't feel great leading up to the exam as I was stuck around level 3-4.

With that said, I ended up getting a 3. I felt the exam was much, much harder than my study material, especially the SOA 153. I had those down prior to exam. I expected to see more topics also from what I read on here. I felt like exam covered only 40% of what I studied, and a lot of what I was uncomfortable with unfortunately. Any suggestions on how to approach my studying differently for next time?

Appreciate any feedback.
Three letters to you(, unfortunately not ASA/FSA, yet)

TIA

Download the 4 free TIA practice exams and study those inside out until you can do them without help. That's really all you need.

Cheers.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:15 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrat05 View Post
Hello All....

Appreciate any feedback.
Welcome to actuarial exams...

I would disagree with others that if you understood all of the SOA sample problems you should have the exam down pat. I've had plenty of exams where I thought the material was disproportionally represented when compared to the syllabus, and some looked nothing like the sample problems.

This may be due to randomness in the selection process from the question bank, some of it may be due to particular areas the committee is focusing on, and some of it is due to personal ability.

In any event, you note there are things you are "uncomfortable" with. That in and of itself tells you where you need to go next. Stay positive - your halfway there with a 3 - keep building your knowledge base and focus on those area you know you struggle with. You'll get there.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:29 PM
Non-Actuary

I just took it today and passed. Smash your face against TIA practice exams and solutions as well as the exam P sample exam. Memorize the solutions and learn the basic concepts.

I got the ACTEX study manual and it was only really helpful to get basic concepts before smashing my face against practice problems.

This is 100% anecdotal.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:57 AM
CAS

College: WNEC

Appreciate the feedback. I read on here all the time it's all understanding the concepts and not memorizing. I had that in mind and tried my best not to that. I would do the SOA questions for a week go back to TIA and vice versa. I will say I did spend more time on the SOA than TIA. I did feel the ADAPT questions were similar to TIA more but once you get to level 3-4 I saw a big jump of difficulty IMO.

I did spend time on topics mentioned in the TIA course that "should" be on the exam and just never saw them. I spent a lot of time on Transformations and CDFs, I don't recall seeing one. And the MGF one I did see, was something I never saw before. To name a few...I know the questions vary and you never know what will be on it.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:01 AM
Meme-ber                         Meme-ber
CAS

Favorite beer: Allagash Curieux

My suggestion is to grind ADAPT. Do quizzes on specific topics one at a time and work the difficulty up to 6-7 before moving on to the next topic. Getting stuck at 3-4 on ADAPT is low so you really should refine by topic.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:47 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryCreamCoke View Post
Three letters to you(, unfortunately not ASA/FSA, yet)

TIA

Download the 4 free TIA practice exams and study those inside out until you can do them without help. That's really all you need.

Cheers.
if you actually read the post you quoted, you can see (s)he already did that