Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 01-24-2020, 05:41 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arroway View Post
Where is this blog? I'd love to read it.

I use the cheapies in between big games to cleanse my palate. It's just hard for me to jump from one 20 hour (or sometimes way more) game right into another one with nothing in between.
I get this too. I need more small games for in between. I end up doing things like Ratchet & Clank as a palate cleanser, but even that's a few weeks of playing.
Old 01-25-2020, 03:52 PM
CAS

Studying for Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena Lake View Post
There really aren't many. Horizon Zero Dawn would be my recommendation, although I really enjoyed the 1st Mass Effect trilogy, Dragon Age, Elder Scrolls (except Online which sucks) and a selection of the Fallout games.

I don't think I've ever really got into the JRPGs... although i really loved Ico, and I've been enjoying The Last Guardian. I got stuck on TLG though, and I just can't get the past the ice elevator.
HZD is definitely on my Radar and it's the only PS4 exclusive AAA title that I haven't played yet. Other than that, I think the only open world RPG that can rival Witcher 3 is probably RDD2 and Zelda: Breath of the Wild, or maybe CD Project's very own Cyberpunk 2077.

ACAS 7 8 9
Old 01-27-2020, 11:13 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for FSA

After tons of hours of grinding ranked I finally got to Rocket League's highest rank in the 3s playlist, Grand Champion. I wonder what this will do for my play time going forward because the chase for GC was definitely a big incentive. There's definitely room for improvement within GC since the skill gap between low & high GC is immense even if the rank is technically the same. So maybe that'll keep me hooked.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:32 AM
It's a funny name.

I seem to have gotten worse at Rocket League. I play a couple times a week, and still have some pretty solid moments where I'm doing some good stuff (I understand that it's all relative, given that I'm a silver). But there are a lot of bad moments too. I can't count how many open net shots I've put high or wide in the last week, but it's just too many. My open field dribbling has improved (for example, I totally balled both opponents last night a couple times in a 2v2 for a couple nice goals), but there is still a lot more to be done there (ie.. I wouldn't be able to do a flick in the open field on purpose to save my life)

I know the answer is training packs, but ain't nobody got time for that when there's Rocket Pass tiers to chase. And regardless, I know I'm twice the age of the average RL player and have extremely limited time to play. So part of me is going with the "as long as I'm having fun, who cares" mantra. that just has to balance itself with the objective fact that it's just more fun to win.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:52 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for FSA

Couple of thoughts:

You'll get worse before you get better: Sunlesskhan has a video on this, basically that people's forms (and their ranks as a result of this) fluctuate a lot and this is especially true if you're trying to get better and doing things that are outside of your comfort zone. Take something simple like your kickoff, being in silver my guess is that your kick off could be improved by doing the diagonal flip kick off where you flip twice before you touch the ball. If you were to switch to doing this you'll probably screw up a bunch of kick offs and get scored on while you get used to it but eventually you'll have a way faster kickoff than your opponents which will give you a lot of easy goals.

Efficient Rocket Pass progress: Focus on getting your weekly wins, 3 weekly wins usually get you one level... if you know you're not going to be able to play for a couple of days try to lower the weekly wins bonus you have as much as possible.

More fun to win... this is true but when playing ranked your w/l ratio should always be close to 50%, if you play worse you'll get easier opponents when you rank down but if you get better you'll get tougher opponents when you rank up.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena Lake View Post
Good enough for me to drop full $ on it? Or should I wait for six months and try to get it used or on sale?

The reviews I read indicated a bit of bugginess to it, but meh. I've put up with Bethesda bugs so long that if it's not game-breaking I might not even notice. The worst was probably the frame-rate bleed FO3 and FONV. Those were really close to game breaking. Actually, FO3 WAS breaking for me - i never did complete the DLCs because it was so bad.
I don't know. I bought it full price and didn't regret it...but I'm a sucker for these type of RPGs and didn't have any other games I wanted to play.
Old 01-27-2020, 01:25 PM
It's a funny name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Ninja View Post
try to lower the weekly wins bonus you have as much as possible.
huh?? this part confuses me. where do I lower a bonus?

I agree with the rest of your post, and thanks for the tips. I definitely need to practice the fast kickoff move for when it's my turn to go for the ball, I am not good at it. If I'm in the support position, I've been trying to emulate what I see Rizzo do in each of the starting setups instead of just bee-lining for the corner boost 100% of the time and hoping my teammate doesn't give up the kickoff goal. I'm currently trying to learn the move he does when both players start out even (it's a reverse half-flip, but he boosts while in the air, lands on the corner boost and is ready to defend the net if necessary.. and he does it FAST). It's tricky (at least for me at this point), but if done correctly you can get full boost and still be ready to block a direct shot from the other team if your teammate is trash
Old 01-27-2020, 02:11 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for FSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson View Post
huh?? this part confuses me. where do I lower a bonus?

I agree with the rest of your post, and thanks for the tips. I definitely need to practice the fast kickoff move for when it's my turn to go for the ball, I am not good at it. If I'm in the support position, I've been trying to emulate what I see Rizzo do in each of the starting setups instead of just bee-lining for the corner boost 100% of the time and hoping my teammate doesn't give up the kickoff goal. I'm currently trying to learn the move he does when both players start out even (it's a reverse half-flip, but he boosts while in the air, lands on the corner boost and is ready to defend the net if necessary.. and he does it FAST). It's tricky (at least for me at this point), but if done correctly you can get full boost and still be ready to block a direct shot from the other team if your teammate is trash
The weekly win bonus is an xp bonus that you get for getting a win. You get three of these a day and they accumulate up to 21. When I said lower I meant play (really win) more games in order to min/max the amount of weekly wins you have affecting you. Basically you don't want your weekly wins bonus to be so high that you stop accumulating it, so like if you're at 18 but you know you won't play for two days you can try to play a couple more that day to get it down to 15 or lower. Again, it's something that doesn't matter that much unless you're trying to get as many rocket pass levels as possible.

So... half-flips are a relatively high level thing... I don't think I've seen anybody lower than diamond doing half-flips, that being said you would still benefit from learning it and putting it in practice. It mainly helps with recoveries (when somebody bumps you) and being able to commit further into attacking territory since you can turn around and face your own goal to defend it quicker than you would using any other method. TLDR it's a good thing to know it exists/how it works but I'd worry more about having a good kickoff/fast aerials for now.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:00 PM
SOA

Studying for GH design and PRICING
College: School of Hard Knocks

I like pac man
Old 01-27-2020, 03:31 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Ninja View Post
After tons of hours of grinding ranked I finally got to Rocket League's highest rank in the 3s playlist, Grand Champion. I wonder what this will do for my play time going forward because the chase for GC was definitely a big incentive. There's definitely room for improvement within GC since the skill gap between low & high GC is immense even if the rank is technically the same. So maybe that'll keep me hooked.

Well done! Glad to see you break through the frontier! Time for some Christano wheels, anodized pearl paint finish only, and practicing your ability to join free play before anyone says gg.

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, real analysis = real men, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one