Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Short-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Short-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam C Forum

Old 11-04-2019, 01:14 PM
SOA

Default February 2020 Exam STAM Thread

What study material are you using?
How far are you?
What are you struggling with?
If a repeat offender, any advice for newbies?
Old 11-04-2019, 01:21 PM
SOA

Good luck to us this coming February!

Currently using CA's Learn and ADAPT (learning section 1.6 at the moment). Almost 1/4 through the material. I'm striving for about 15-20 practice problems per section in Adapt. Planning to finish the material by the end of the year, leaving about 6 weeks for practice exams.

I already know I'm going to be forgetting a lot of this stuff by the time practice exams come around.

How do you spend time "studying" as far as reviewing or memorizing things on the formula sheets(CA sheets, not the given exam tables)?

So far everything is making sense, except for the MGF's and PGF's. I'm having a hard time keeping it all straight! Also, frailty models are weird.

I also still don't quite get how to evaluate the Gamma CDF. It seems like every time it comes up, they use a different method to evaluate.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:46 PM
SOA

College: Wabash College B.A. 1962, Stanford Ph.D. 1965
Default Face-To-Face exam-prep STAM seminar

My seminar for the February sitting is scheduled for 3 - 9 January (with Monday off). Detailed information can be found on my website http://www.actuarialseminars.com .
jimdaniel@actuarialseminars.com
Old 11-04-2019, 04:17 PM
SOA

College: Eastern Michigan U
Default Gamma CDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatdoactuariesevendo View Post

Currently using CA's Learn and ADAPT (learning section 1.6 at the moment). Almost 1/4 through the material. I'm striving for about 15-20 practice problems per section in Adapt. Planning to finish the material by the end of the year, leaving about 6 weeks for practice exams.

I already know I'm going to be forgetting a lot of this stuff by the time practice exams come around.

How do you spend time "studying" as far as reviewing or memorizing things on the formula sheets(CA sheets, not the given exam tables)?

So far everything is making sense, except for the MGF's and PGF's. I'm having a hard time keeping it all straight! Also, frailty models are weird.

I also still don't quite get how to evaluate the Gamma CDF. It seems like every time it comes up, they use a different method to evaluate.
My take is to try to get a good understanding of the basic integral by using a basic formula for theta = 1, and then change the parameter to whatever it is, as it will be a factor of x, and then it will end up in the denominator, like substituting ax=u. Try like for alpha = n = 4, do it by parts if you have to, or tabular integration. PM if you need more explanation. You will see that multiplying to - e ^-x you will have (x^4 + 4 x^3 + 12 x^2 + 24x + 24) the derivatives that you get in the tabular form of integration. You can always verify it by taking the derivative. (24 = 4! is what you get when you solve the definite integral.)

For MFG PGF the definition for PGF is on the Introduction B.1 on the tables. For the MGF just remember t=ln(z).

German
Old 11-08-2019, 05:12 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatdoactuariesevendo View Post

I'm in section 1.6 also using CA. It's my first time with this sitting. The hardest thing for me is quickly identifying distributions, which I figure will come with practice... I hope...
Old 11-08-2019, 05:32 PM
SOA

College: Eastern Michigan U

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbbrake84 View Post
I'm in section 1.6 also using CA. It's my first time with this sitting. The hardest thing for me is quickly identifying distributions, which I figure will come with practice... I hope...
It does, not that much of a science... eliminate all the constants that don't have the x, and what remains is basically the distribution (I guess you refer to the continuous ones). To me there are just Pareto and gamma variations plus beta/uniform, at least as basic ones.

German
Old 11-10-2019, 04:01 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbbrake84 View Post
Yes, I didn't really worry about that section and it does come quite easily with practice. I'm actually pretty quick to figure out Expo, Gamma, and Pareto (LogNormal and Normal will be obvious). Weibull is trickier as you usually have to do some algebra to see it! However, if I can't figure it out in about a minute or less, I move on with first principles, which I think is good practice anyway, and eventually I'll start to really recognize them faster.

I'm finishing section 2.1 today, and hopefully start on 2.2. However, I've sadly only done 10-15 questions in adapt for each section. I really don't want to fall behind schedule though, so I have plenty of time for practice exams. I'm finding MLE to make a lot of sense, but there are so many ways to mess up and so many tricky calculations to be on top of!
Old 11-11-2019, 12:12 PM
SOA

College: St. John's university

So it begins... Good luck to all the actuarial warriors taking on this beast. Slay it with your TI 30XS Calculator and No. 2 Pencil
Old 11-12-2019, 03:22 AM
SOA

College: University of Missouri, 2nd year
Default Passed STAM in October

Hey guys, I just passed STAM in October and I just wanted to share some tips for studying.

I passed P about a year ago and a lot of the concepts were fresh in my head, to me over half of STAM was just the grown up version of P, except you have access to all the nasty equations so it's more about knowing where things are and how to plug things in.

I just took the VEE course for Mathematical Stats course at my university last year and needless to say maximized likelihood is a very hot topic within the exam.

I did SRM and STAM back to back so I think it may be beneficial to study for both of them at the same time, as I passed both of them, and SRM very much prepares you for the theory part and STAM tests you on the application part.

Credibility theory is all about knowing what to do with the formulas, I just memorized the entire CA sheet on that part and called it good. You will get a lot of big nasty sums and fractions so make sure you don't make typos when typing in the numbers, which surprisingly was the hardest part for me about STAM.

The last part with loss reserve felt like doing excel by hand and if you have any work experience with that it should be easy. I still don't fully understand what I did with the loss reserve part (it felt much clearer in LTAM), and more or less you are just dividing numbers by other numbers and adding them up and stuff.

The syllabus is actually really short and sweet, and if you know your P stuff well it should be a breeze!

Good luck everyone!
Old 11-12-2019, 10:43 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by xushang00 View Post
Hey guys, I just passed STAM in October and I just wanted to share some tips for studying.

I passed P about a year ago and a lot of the concepts were fresh in my head, to me over half of STAM was just the grown up version of P, except you have access to all the nasty equations so it's more about knowing where things are and how to plug things in.

I just took the VEE course for Mathematical Stats course at my university last year and needless to say maximized likelihood is a very hot topic within the exam.

I did SRM and STAM back to back so I think it may be beneficial to study for both of them at the same time, as I passed both of them, and SRM very much prepares you for the theory part and STAM tests you on the application part.

Credibility theory is all about knowing what to do with the formulas, I just memorized the entire CA sheet on that part and called it good. You will get a lot of big nasty sums and fractions so make sure you don't make typos when typing in the numbers, which surprisingly was the hardest part for me about STAM.

The last part with loss reserve felt like doing excel by hand and if you have any work experience with that it should be easy. I still don't fully understand what I did with the loss reserve part (it felt much clearer in LTAM), and more or less you are just dividing numbers by other numbers and adding them up and stuff.

The syllabus is actually really short and sweet, and if you know your P stuff well it should be a breeze!

Good luck everyone!
I haven't taken this exam (took C), but for many short term claim reserving methods, the basic idea is that let's say that at the end of November, if we pay 2 million dollars out for claims where the incident was in November, on average, that 2 million will turn into 8 million.

If we had only paid out 1 million during that time for November, history says we will pay out 4 million for claims where the incident was in November.

In words, the amount of claims that are paid out early serve as a signal for how bad or good things will be two years from now when all (or almost all) of the claims are settled up.

I think sometimes we can't see the forest for the trees and forget that most of this math we do is based on common sense estimation.